back to article Wi-Fi slinger Ubiquiti hints at source code leak after claim of ‘catastrophic’ cloud intrusion emerges

Wi-Fi kit-slinger Ubiquiti has suggested the attacker that accessed some of its cloud-hosted systems in January 2021 may have made off with source code and employee logins, not the customer data it initially warned could be in peril. News that Ubiquiti’s cloud servers had been breached emerged on January 11, 2021, when the …

1. sgp

Root access

To everything and the kitchen sink? Blimey.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I don't care about the source code of my router being seen, it is already open (OpenWRT).

Also it does not attempt to inject adverts or extract a fee for continued use.

3. PTW

Just, why!?

If you're dumb enough to buy kit that needs "the cloud" to configure it, you've got what you deserve IMHO.

1. Jay 2

Re: Just, why!?

I believe that apparently you can house some of the config stuff on something like a Pi instead of cloud, but to be honest why should you even have to do that? I did briefly look an Ubiquiti kit for home, but the faff with the config stuff and the need for PoE just made it a bit OTT and PROsumer for my needs.

From what I've seen the kit is OK and performs well, but the dependencies are another matter...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From what I've seen the kit is OK and performs well

...for a couple of years. They *love* obsoleting older hardware and removing support for it from the software.

They'll also happily upgrade your controller to a version that doesn't support all your antennas without warning you about that.

They also make it really hard to tell precisely what hardware is supported by which release. I just built a box to run a bunch of these antennas and we had to try 4 different versions before we got everything working. And by "working", I mean "mostly working".

And to top all this off, the support drones they hire are inadequately trained and know nothing. My customer had to contact their support, who simply advised him to upgrade the the latest version. Following this "advice" would have rendered my customer's entire network unusable until he climbed up a bunch of ladders all over town manually pressing reset pins on all his antennas. Something which would take probably a day or two to do. Luckily, my customer wasn't an idiot and told them exactly how terrible that advice is. I shudder to think of the people managing antennas hundreds or thousands of km from their location being told to do this.

I wouldn't buy their kit and I wouldn't trust their support people to write their own names

2. An0n C0w4rd

The self-hosted controller option does not require a cloud login, all you need is a Raspberry Pi. I've explicitly avoided anything from UBNT that requires their cloud login, and all their products that I have are on a VLAN that has no outside access (and the router isn't made by them)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For what reason does it need a secondary box?

1. An0n C0w4rd

You manage UniFi devices together as a site rather than as individual devices. If you have EdgeRouter/EdgeSwitch devices they're individually managed, but the UniFi stuff makes it easier. For example, if you create a VLAN it shows up on all relevant switches and APs automatically rather than having to mess with each device individually.

2. rvt

For logging or inspecting your network. I have it running and it is nice... you can also setup guest networks and what not, with or without passwords any many other things. Control routers and switches firewalls, VPN of your own system... or including that of your parents and more...

Just the.’normal’ unify devices can also be configured without the extra cloud key from your phone, o extra software required, but I don’t think that is recommended. Get UniFi only if you are willing to run some cables from your switch to your devices in your house for optimal performance. I have it running for months and months at end and it just works, from IoT decides to iPads, Apple TV radios and it just runs....

No techies that want to use ubiqity should by amplifi instead of UniFi, that is stand alone, but still will use mesh technology.

3. MikeThelHill

As others have said, the controller s/w manages the entire site, push wifi details, VLAN configs, etc to all devices as needed.

The thing is the controller only needs to run when you're pushing a config change. The controller s/w can be run on your laptop/PC as needed, then shut down. You lose a bit of stats gathering and monitoring, but otherwise you can run for months without the controller s/w running.

The controller s/w also doesn't need a dedicated system. If you have a PC or server running anyway, you can most likely install it on there.

Apropos the security breach, I sure hope it wakes them up a bit as there has been a bit of a question-mark over their focus on security lately. And insisting on a cloud login for some of their newer products is definitely a bad move IMO. I for sure will never buy into that range of product.

Not a sponsor - just use their gear sometimes.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Thanks all for the replies. It makes sense now - I originally thought it meant the boxes wouldn't work at all without the 'mothership', which seemed wrong!

And thanks to the downvoter for pointing out that he disapproved of my question!

1. Guido Esperanto

It's not like the kids needs the mothership, but it doesn't make it easy to avoid the mothership.

I upgraded my home with a gateway, wifi and switch - and it threw me as I was used to configuring devices separately - Ubiquiti kit was the first that 'preferred' to be configured as a collective.

From a management pov , it makes it simple and actually v.good.

They do have a cloud key service, but personally thought it was a joke to pay £80+ for a simple bit of software...so I put it on my raspberry pi and runs quite happily.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

I run a pretty large fleet of these things via a self hosted VM running Ubuntu etc. There is no need for cloud access and I have never configured that.

The reason you have a Unifi Controller is it saves each AP needing its own web server. Each one is just a very simple Linux box with some cheekied up wifi. They get pointed at the controller and get given a key for secure comms over TLS. They download their site config and set themselves up. You get status info and all sorts of stats and can do oneish click firmware updates with it. Also the captive portal uses the central controller to do the heavy lifting - token management and poncy graphics etc. Once your sites are setup you set up the VLANs on the switch port, plug in the device and walk away. If you use their switches, that happens out of the box.

There have been some exciting times in the past with some of the firmware but you can back rev to older versions if your *cough* test systems find problems. Or you can whine and whinge on the forums and stamp your feet 8)

4. fidodogbreath

One of the annoyances with Ubiquiti is that (in some cases) the cloud requirement has been imposed after the fact.

Case in point: I set up a network for a non-profit that included a Cloud Key Gen 2 as a local controller, with remote cloud access (per their request). No cloud required to set up the network, make changes, etc. When they updated the CK firmware, the update deleted the local CK login account; now the only way to log in locally is with the cloud account. This caused quite a bit of confusion, and it took me a while to figure out what had happened.

Point is, in our modern Utopia shit can become cloud-only after purchase.

5. david1024

They make great products. But there is no good reason to require all the phone-homeing that happens. I had to remove their management software and appliances from my networks because I did not want to waste metered connection b/w on their spyware and couldn't use them at all on non-internet connected networks... I mean, who knew that every computing device doesn't have an always-on internet connection without limits?

4. msage

Ad removal...

I can't see anything in the thread that says that Ubiquiti promised to remove house ads it added to the web-based user interface of its UniFi gear. They said they would make them easier to dismiss, but not remove them totally. As a unifi user I am seriously considering moving away after the last 18 months or so of bad firmware, ads, etc, etc

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Ad removal...

> As a unifi user I am seriously considering moving away after the last 18 months or so of bad firmware, ads, etc, etc

The bit that would do it for me, really, is the allegations that they actively tried to cover up the extent of this breach and left customers exposed in the meantime.

That's absolutely unforgiveable and more than enough to kick them onto my "never buy" list.

All vendors are going to have bugs/breaches at times, but you need to be able to trust that they will act to mitigate the outcome, rather than trying to protect their share-price and leaving you (unknowingly) with your pants down.

5. iron Silver badge

When I first heard of Ubiquiti their products sounded great and I know a lot of my fellow IT pros use them at work & home. Personally I was put off by the cloud management and the subscription.

Over the last 2 or 3 years I've heard nothing good about Ubiquiti. Between removing features, increasing costs, adverts in the management interface (wtf!) and now this hack that they are trying to hide I'm glad I never bought anything from them myself. They are now formally on my "do not buy" list.

1. DevOpsTimothyC

Per other responses you can self host the controller. Yes I have their kit. I've never paid for the cloud management.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"unauthorized access to certain of our [IT] systems hosted by a third-party cloud provider"

And why are you hosting part of your company-critical IP on a 3rd-party server ?

You are obviously completely out of your minds. Ubiquity is off my authorized list from now on.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given the obvious we don't give a f!ck about any security or customer information, I would be going back to pad, pencil, stamps and two cans on a string, but since all my life's details are available on the not so dark web for 25 cents US, the postage stamp costs more.

8. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Linux

Ubiquiti Seems Highly Recommended,,,

Was looking at Ubiquiti for when I can afford to upgrade my internet; but those who live by GPL violations need to die.

Will probably go for a Czech [ eg neither American nor Chinese ] Turris Omnia which has OpenWRT built in.

Though one has to add a modem.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

How they were caught.

...bad actors were able to hide their presence within SolarWinds' infrastructure...

"Hang on a minute, that's not Phil, it's some other bloke in a crap wig and godawful makeup who sounds like he'd reading from cue cards."

10. Version 1.0 Silver badge

They were only accessed

When someone has broken though your security (I'm not going keep saying "hacked") then you have to assume that everything may have been accessed, not just the couple of items that you eventually noticed after a while.

What does "accessed" mean, just one thing or everything? The only people who are certain are the ones who broke in.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: They were only accessed

Nobody has a scooby doo

I’m always amazed at how computer forensics works, it’s like some kind of oxymoron

Nobody has a scooby doo

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like