back to article Microsoft welcomes 'raddest' and most 'feature-dense' Kubernetes release to AKS, shows 1.17 the door

Kubernetes 1.20 has finally put in an appearance on Microsoft's Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), just squeaking into March and a good few months since the upstream release. The release also means the end of life for 1.17, which went to GA in AKS in July 2020 after its upstream release in December 2019. The support for each …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Hello fellow kids

As a 40 something white nerd I assumed "Rad" was none-cool. On the basis that I had heard of it and so assumed it was 'like, so over' as the young people say

Are Microsoft container cloud development team not the bunch of 'hip and trendy' 20 somethings I had naturally pictured them to be ?

Is "Rad" now so uncool its cool again - like ABBA ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Hello fellow kids

As a 60 something white nerd, I first encountered rad, meaning cool, in the 80's and it went out of fashion in the 90's, but I never heard it used later as non-cool. It's been resurrected by youngsters who can't coin words like we could.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Rad? When I was at skool rad meant radians, the natural measure of an angle, where pi radians = 180 degrees (or one degree = pi/180). Once you know about them, why would you use anything else?

And radians were, and will always remain, cool.

1. AlgernonFlowers4
          Joke

As the uncool kid pretending to be a Gradian of the Galaxy every time I tried to say 1 radian was 63.66198 gradians it just came out as I am groot

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
            Coat

Rapid Application Development...

Then the gold rush spade vendors took over

2. J27

I think it's a pun on RAD, as in Rapid Application Development.

2. Dwarf

what are they on about ?

Rad - Radishes

Rad - Radiation

I'm not getting if this is some form of good for you one of your 5 a day pieces of software, or if there has been some really bad accident in MS HQ when creating and packaging this product.

Either way, my interest in Microsoft products remains at 0.000%

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Update

"You should upgrade... as soon as you're able, to ensure your cluster is fully patched and supported," the company said.

WindowsAzure Update?

Though in theory, there is already Microsoft Update...

4. the spectacularly refined chap

The release also means the end of life for 1.17, which went to GA in AKS in July 2020 after its upstream release in December 2019.

Not picking on Microsoft specifically here, the schedule is determined by the parent project, but...

What a load of self-serving, egotistical claptrap.

I get it, you're developing Kubernetes, you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, you're excited about the latest features you can add to improve it.

In actual use however, it is one of hundreds of systems that have to be integrated and maintained. I don't have time to keep up with that kind of schedule for just one system. Why should I even try other than to pander to the developer's vanity?

Sorry but that kind of cadence just writes it off for production use. It's nothing more than a toy.

5. fredesmite2

Kubernetes on Windows

Must be a Aprils fool joke

6. geekguy

Kubernetes has always had that sort of fast release cadence the fact is if you've bought into Kubernetes you have already bought into that fast pace of development and release. It does not make it a toy or not fit for production it simply means it needs much more attention. Whether your organisation is prepared to give it that sort of attention is another thing. Know your tool including its schedule and don't blindly implement technologies without looking into this in the first place.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

No LTS versions?

"Sorry but that kind of cadence just writes it off for production use. It's nothing more than a toy."

Agreed. No LTS (Long Term Support) versions at least? It's one thing when software goes "out of support", but you have it set up and stable; quite another to be in a hosted service where they are going to yank it out from under you!

Ubuntu (for example, and I'm not saying this is the ideal schedule, it's just an example) has their non-LTS versions every 6 months, which they only support for 6 (or is it 9?) months or so, but the LTS versions (every 2 years) supported much longer. Of course, you then have a whole pile of changes at once (2 years worth instead of 6 months.) So, they go through the pain of making sure a LTS to LTS upgrade is relatively painless (in some cases, even kludging a compatibility package or 2 in to try to smooth the process over a bit.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like