back to article Scientists stumped by strange X-rays from Uranus

Mysterious X-rays have been spotted emanating from Uranus for the first time, according to the latest observations made using NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory. X-ray emissions from the planet may not seem so surprising at first since Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune have been found to scatter such radiation from the Sun. …

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Angel

Wel okay, great science there, then. X-rays in space! I'd check for traces of, uhm, ... uranium ... or other radioactive elements if I were them.

In the meantime, just leave that thing where it is and don't bring it home.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

You think there might be suspicious deposits around Uranus?

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

That's just assteriods

2. jake Silver badge

Not to be confused with ...

... blowing smoke, presumably.

1. Chris G

Re: Not to be confused with ...

Personally, I would go with the sunshine.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Funny, I always thought of Uranus as a place "where the sun don't shine".

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

The article says "the main source of radiation does indeed come from the Sun" which means the Sun actually does shine out of Uranus.

1. The Dark Side Of The Mind (TDSOTM)

Uranus, black holes, auroras and sunshine... What a funny sounding weekend!

2. Ogi

> The article says "the main source of radiation does indeed come from the Sun" which means the Sun actually does shine out of Uranus.

Well, technically it is reflected off Uranus. How much light is reflected is very much related to how much surface area is exposed to the sun.

The issue here, is that there is more light emanating from Uranus than just from reflection, resulting in the scientists conjecturing that there is a actual light emitter in Uranus causing the discrepancy.

1. TheWeetabix

I believe that was a joke, but this is an excellent summary.

1. Ogi
                Facepalm

> I believe that was a joke, but this is an excellent summary.

Oh I know, hence I tried to make my response be simultaneously humorous but scientifically accurate. Looks like I didn't manage though.

TLDR: " whoosh! " :-)

3. confused and dazed

A fine headline

Thank-you, that cheered by Friday morning .....

1. Muppet Boss
      Flame

Re: A fine headline

>X-rays are emanating from Uranus for the first time, according to the latest observations...

Laughing hurts.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I read the headline out to my wife. Her response? "Glow in the dark poop?"

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I think El Reg just decided to be completely factual and let the commentards do the work this time.

4. b0llchit Silver badge
    Alien

Simple explanation possible - aliens, surely

The whole observation can easily be explained by extraterrestrial life. Obviously, there are Uranus people getting an X-ray to determine their medical condition and we see the excess radiation. And of course this coincides with higher solar activity because we all know how dangerous solar radiation is for our fragile bodies, which we then have to check and test. Also, the Earth too is noisy in many EM bands. Clearly, Uranians have evolved to eliminate much of the lower frequency bands, but can still see use in the X-ray spectrum. See, mystery solved.

5. Tom 7

Intergallactic Deliveroo

now supplying Nandos?

6. artificial bitterness

Um...

These X-rays are coming from where the sun never shines?

7. Forget It
    Meh

April the second?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*snigger*

Accroding to Prof Farsworth it'll be renamed soon...."Urectum".

1. Little Mouse

Re: *snigger*

As any fule kno - It's pronounced "boom-Hoh-lay".

2. Montreal Sean

Re: *snigger*

Wrecked him? I hardly knew him!

9. xeroks

Uranians with sellotape.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

conversion to degenerate matter? or just an X-ray mirage

without putting something in local orbit on say the dark side during an ecclipse then there are too many possibilities to bother speculating/

Ecclipse, because obviously if light paths are chaoticly scattered then monitoring levels on far side from sun where solar Xrays are reduced is the easiest way to see if this is actually significant.

As has already been posted there could be local sources such ascaptured meteorites containing fissiles.

1. Ropewash

Re: conversion to degenerate matter? or just an X-ray mirage

So you're saying we must observe where the sun doesn't shine.

11. Roger Mew

Where does it come from?

I told my wife your headline and she asked how it radiated from here bum...she is not that interested in Radio etc.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Enlightening

Clearly it's Aliens lighting farts from Uranus to disguise their anal probes.

13. Sparkus

There is the general theory that gas giants

are just proto-stars that failed to reach ignition mass/density.

with this in mind, perhaps we're simply waiting for the next opportunity to blow sunshine out of Uranus......

(I'll show myself out now)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is the general theory that gas giants

Well, as long as no one lights a match near Uranus we'll be fine.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: There is the general theory that gas giants

Having listened to Jasper Carrott I learned the potential hazards of setting light to a fart without ever having to try it myself!

Ohhh & not forgetting "Armageddon" (The horrors of "Felching" - Lighting farts with a match, causing damage to gerbils, facial hair & digestive tract along with a broken nose from a jet propelled gerbil).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTrOb8zyrZk

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eighteenth Century headline problems?

Willy discovers Uranus?

15. bpfh
    Mushroom

X-rays from Uranus

Must have been one hell of a curry!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: X-rays from Uranus

vindaloo. It's the only way to go.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I did not read the article

I read the word " Uranus" in the headline and went straight to the comments.

Happily, I was not disappointed. Beers all round on me.

Cheers… Ishy

17. Mark192

It's not just the sun that shines out of Uranus

"although the main source of radiation does indeed come from the Sun, there’s a little extra light coming from somewhere else."

So...

It's not just the sun that shines out of Uranus.

18. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Easier, and then there's the other thing

Sending a spacecraft to Jupiter and Uranus is much easier than it would be to send a spacecraft to the nearest neutron stars or black holes

Easier, yes. Also, unless you can get a grant with a very long timeline for the final report...

I mean, there might be a neutron star as close as a mere 250 ly away, which is a stroll round the park in interstellar terms, but there's still going to be a bit of a delay before you get information back from your probe. And it looks like the closest known black holes are another order of magnitude in distance from Earth. "Look, when some researcher in some future civilization publishes on this, I want second-author credit."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like