back to article Ship stranded in Suez Canal shifts, but not before spawning some choice tech memes

The ship that’s blocked the Suez Canal for almost a week has shifted. That Ever Given moved in the early hours of Monday, Egyptian time, seems certain as footage from the scene has emerged. Sunup in the #Suez & things indeed look different. Video of the #EVERGIVEN's new, less meme-worthy position.pic.twitter.com/qK6dOod7AF …

1. Shadow Systems

Blindness can be good!

I can't see any of what I'm sure are horrible pictures that don't deserve transcription. And before you try to transcribe any of them-

*Sticks fingers in ears, sings "LA LA lalalalalalalalallla", and runs away*

=-)p

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blindness can be good!

They're wonderful colour pictures that show a ship-shaped bridge between the east and west banks of the Suez canal.

#pbpbpbpbpbpbpe

1. batfink

Re: Blindness can be good!

Asia and Africa, surely?

2. Mike 137 Silver badge
    FAIL

I didn't sign up to twitter

This "report" could have been much more informative (and actually interesting) if it hadn't been just a string of second hand "tweets".

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: I didn't sign up to twitter

If they actually fit on the page so you didn't have to click them (twice), that would also have been nice.

1. Kane

Screenshots would have been nice, as my work laptop blocks twitter, probably with good cause.

1. Rol

I block it along with Facebook on everything.

Although sitting smugly as the world burns under the ferocious heat of misinformation and belligerent discord is not something I'm looking forward to. I'll just have to endure it with a fixed smile.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

Even worse, these memes all suck.

3. David Hicklin Bronze badge

I wish I could up vote the top poster more than once, the BBC may create articles reposting twitter but I expected better of The Register.

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge

"The Suez Canal links Asia with the US"

WTF????

1. chivo243 Silver badge

All streams lead to Rome?

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Holmes

It's just the shouty version of "us" - we are Europeans after all.

It's just to emphasise the importance - it's not just affecting some other people, it's affecting US!!!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Alert

It's just the shouty version of "us" - we are Europeans after all.

I don't think that is a sentiment that would be shared by this crowd...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/28/museum-of-brexit-campaigners-fundraising-charitable-status

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

You say this, but for a long time I used to interpret US as in United States, as just... us

When you’re a child, life is so much simpler

There was no United States, there was just us

1. Stoneshop
          Holmes

There was no United States, there was just us

This still persists.

2. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

US loves you 'cause ur unique!

3. hypnos

That's the Panama canal stoopid!

1. Stoneshop
        FAIL

Oh really? Plug in "Port of Houston" and "Port of Shanghai" in ports.com, and look whether the Panama Canal is shown as part of the route.

1. jake Silver badge

I question ports.com's validity

For example, plug in Seattle (Washington) and Tokyo. Or Oakland (California) and Shanghai.

Both routes go through Panama and Suez. WTF? In fact, using ports.com I can't find a single shipping route that crosses the Pacific!

Here's a good one: Port of Petropavlovsk (Kamchatka) to Port of Anchorage (Alaska).

1. Stoneshop
            Holmes

Re: I question ports.com's validity

That way you would have to cross the date line, and ports.com transit time calculations would flip upside down. Or something.

Apparently a lot of date-time code is built using homegrown libraries and dubious algorithms. Because this kind of bugs still occur way too often.

4. Mr Sceptical
    IT Angle

Dual redundant canal jokes?

C'mon, no one posted a joke about a second backup canal? For shame...

At least our elebenty-gazillion hamsters (I forget the correct Reg units) worth of consumer tat can start blocking up ports again. Show's over!

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: Dual redundant canal jokes?

I know it would be expensive, but given the volume of traffic you would think that a second canal would be cost effective so that you have two-way 24/7 flow - not just as a backup.

Of course the fact that a second lane could be used with temporary traffic lights if this happened again would be a bonus.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

With a line of floating cones?

1. Tom 7

A hotline of floating cones shirley!

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Don't call me "Shirley"!

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

> you would think that a second canal would be cost effective

I expect it would be cheaper to just make the canal wider.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would meet the exact same obstacles that redundant servers have right now.

The beancounters would argue "We're not using it right now, therefore it's an unnecessary expense sat doing nothing. So no, you can't have it."

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

"Can I please have that in black on white?".

You can't build another canal right next to it - that's not really redundant

You should build a separate canal on the other side of Sinai, say from Aquaba to Gaza.

1. Rol

Well they did put a bit of dual carriageway in a few years back. And even the Reg went to the bother to mention it in it's hallowed pages.

>Well they did put a bit of dual carriageway in a few years back

Could they just double-deck the existing canal? Then no need for any extra land purchase

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Well the other thought was a channel from Somalia through Kenya, Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo and out onto the West African coast. Opening up that promising Mumbai-to-Lagos trade route by use of the Teller-Ulam configuration.

1. jake Silver badge

The beancounters say no. They are quite content to wait for the Central African Shear Zone to do the job for free.

1. Stoneshop
                Trollface

The beancounters say no.

Just wait for a bulk carrier with a cargo of beans to get stuck, or just being held up by the next such mishap.

See how fast they then authorize a fully redundant canal to ensure a continuous, uninterruptable bean flow.

2. Precordial thump Silver badge

Spike Milligan was there first. From The Great Trans-Africa Canal...

Seagoon: "With the closing of the canal, British aeroplanes are forced to fly around the Cape. It is my intention to cut a canal across Africa, so that they can fly over that."

Crun: "Fly over a canal? But if they crash, they'll all drown!"

Seagoon: "But they can't in this canal - there's not going to be any water in it!"

3. Stoneshop
            Mushroom

You can't build another canal right next to it - that's not really redundant

If there's an event that manages to take out both those canals, them being blocked is probably a minor annoyance in the overall situation.

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Not a canal. But thanks to the normalization of relations between Israel and various Arab states, there are pipelines being planned from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other oil producing areas to the East Mediterranean.

If they were big enough for containers, and extended to Shenzen ...

1. Stoneshop
          Boffin

If they were big enough for containers, and extended to Shenzen ...

Well, they already did that, kind of. They've lopped off the top half of the pipe as well as most of the bottom half, leaving two parallel metal strips, and attaching them to some reinforced concrete bars to keep them from wobbling and moving around. So now you can't really put the containers in them, but they've solved that by providing wheeled platforms neatly running on top of these strips.

Saves quite a bit of material.

2. Stoneshop
        Black Helicopters

there are pipelines being planned from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other oil producing areas to the East Mediterranean.

At least one shipment of solar panels was in the Ever Given, and quite likely a few more have been held up by this, prolonging the reliance on fossil fuels.

4. Stoneshop
      Boffin

elebenty-gazillion hamsters (I forget the correct Reg units) worth of consumer tat

The DUP, Pogba (Pg, 0.0893 DUP) or NHS budget (1321.3885 Pg)

5. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Memes

The Register of all places should understand that a meme is more than simply a photo with words on it.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Memes

It isn't, but then again...

The idea that something that clearly isn't a meme can then become recognised as something that it isn't, is therefore exhibiting textbook memetic behaviour.

(Caveat - I feel your pain, but sadly I feel that battle might already be lost, "hacker"-style)

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Memes

Especially without the photos.

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Wedged sideways...

The ultimate wedgie?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

duly noted

a media trend to report what's happening in twitterland. I wonder how soon twitterers start reporting on what's being reported on them being reported on twitter

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: duly noted

but then, twitter would need to come up with a comments section, right?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: duly noted

They would also need to realize that there is more to TehIntraWebTubes than twitter.

8. Chairman of the Bored

First words the captain said when oranges?

Oh, ship!

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hold my beer moment?

At first I heard the blockage was caused by the high winds? Then I heard possible mechanical failure. Now I hear possible human error... How long until it's a Hold my beer moment?

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Hold my beer moment?

"drifting" isn't just for tricked out Hondas, ya know

Francesco Schettino

former Master, Costa Concordia

2. uccsoundman

I think the short-short version is this. There were high winds causing difficult steering conditions. Then they had an engine failure and a generator failure. There wasn't a backup generator, so while they had no power, they had no steering and were adrift and the wind drove them into the wall.

Interestingly it appears very few ships have backup generators. The bean counters see no need for redundancy. But I do wonder how much money was spent on freeing this ship and how much money was lost in stopped commerce, and how that compares to the cost of a backup generator.

1. gratou

That's fine. Different budgets. The bean counters still saved money and will get their bonuses.

It has 4 x 5600HP auxiliary 'backup' generators.

Unfortunately it's a very big sheep in a very narrow shallow canal.

It's a ship, so can only steer when it's moving - except for a couple of tiny (2500HP) bow thrusters,

It's in a narrow canal so when it's moving it gets sucked toward one side by hydrodynamics stuff,

It's in a shallow canal so when it's moving it gets pulled down at the stern which affects the steering

It's the size of a small town, has flat sides the height of a tower block and it was a touch windy.

On the whole, like reversing an articulated trailer down a hairpin bend on ice in a hurricane

2. AK565

Exactly. A certain state in the US decided to save $$ by firing all its interpreters. So instead of paying a local interpreter to spend his day doing local jobs, they paid people like me 4 hours travel time plus the 2hr minimum for each job. A local college apparently got wind of this scheme, fired its staff interpreters, and hired through an agency. Bottom line: A class formerly covered 3 man hours of staff was replaced 8 man hours of higher cost agency interpreters. But different budget lines were used so money was "saved". I'm sure someone got a huge bonus in both cases.

3. Stoneshop

This comment in a thread elsewhere has, IMO, a solid analysis of the mishap. A large part of it is the strong tailwind, requiring the Ever Given to go through the canal ar a speed well in excess of R17 nearly double of the allowed maximum, to keep steerage way. Another part is that the helmsman was clearly not a PID controller.

The long and short of it is that they shouldn't have entered the canal under these conditions, or if they absolutely had to, only with a tug attached to the stern which allows control of the vessel somewhat like an outboard motor instead of relying on forward speed to create the required amount of flow past the rudder.

This is the real $$$ problem.

The canal is really too small for the biggest ships, but makes most of its money from the biggest ships.

The route from China to Europe is economical for the biggest ships, which is why they get bigger - currently only really limited by the canal. So if you increase the size of the canal you will increase the size of the ships. If you limit when they can use it because of weather you lose $$$

1. Stoneshop

If you limit when they can use it because of weather you lose $$$

If ships need to hold for a day, maybe two, until the wind has shifted or sufficiently subsided, they'll pass through the canal anyway and the fees will go into the Egyptian coffers, only a few days later. It's when those conditions persist for quite a bit longer that some may choose to go round the Cape, although that would replace the canal fees with having to buy a few extra gallons of bunker oil, plus one more week of transit time. The Canal Authorities may also allow passage if the ship is assisted by a Rent-a-Tug or two; it's their canal, they can set the rules, and since last week all shippers are well aware why those rules would be there. I expect bills with Very Large Numbers will soon be exchanged between the SCA, Evergreen, Shoei Kisen Kaisha and the shippers delayed by this mess, or rather their insurers and legal representatives.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody saying...

"OVH late to restart its SBGx datacenter because its new containers shipment run aground in the Suez canal?"

Re: Nobody saying...

This is OVH's new data center. They worked out how to stop fire getting in - surround it with water!

1. Stoneshop

Hah

https://s29755.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/IUMI_call_for_3.jpg

Re: Hah

Importing foreign fire is clearly dangerous, which is why we need locally produced fire.

I think the channel tunnel found out that fire exports by truck are even worse

11. Rol

Ever Green - When Imodium isn't quite enough.

12. Rol

Not impressed with your current boyfriend?

Ever Green - Guaranteed to touch the sides

13. Rol

Ever Green - This is what Bill Gate's Corvid chips look like in your blood stream.

Disclaimer:- This is just a bit of fun, and not intended to be used by QAnon as incontrovertible proof of your silly conspiracies, even though I know damned well it will be.

I don't think a Microsoft covid chip will have containers - you will need at least 2 full cpus and CALs for each person (one per dose)

14. Leedos
    Meh

My favorite one...

https://media.giphy.com/media/IrrYlFmpivxthPksfh/source.gif

15. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

It's not Yeats, but...

Was fond of this epic verse myself - https://twitter.com/krfabian/status/1374798847650709504 - reproduced here in full for all the earlier posters who are struggling to figure out how hyperlinks work:

my name is Boat

and wen im tired

(but shipping werk

is still required)

then all I want

is lyttle snooze

i turn to side

i blok the Sooz

1. jake Silver badge

Re: It's not Yeats, but...

I'm fairly certain that most folks here know how hyperlinks work. I'm equally certain that they also know why blocking useless time wasters like twitter and facebook is a good idea.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

And if the memes weren't enough

There is already an app where you can 'put' the Ever Given anywhere on Earth.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/ever-given-take-a-look-at-one-of-the-worlds-largest-ships-compared-to-edinburgh-landmarks-3182072

17. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Have they thought about flushing it?

Every body experiences a stuck poo once in a while

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like