back to article Can you imagine Slack letting people DM strangers in another org? Think of the abuse. Oh wait, it did do that

Slack, which became popular as a team chat app in part because it's not email, is now letting users invite anyone, via email, to correspond using direct messages in the Slack app. The collaboration biz, in the process of being acquired by Salesforce, announced the service, called Slack Connect Direct Messages, last October and …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

differnt?

Than all the people or bots that tried to chat me up on Skype? By default allow only my contacts was off... Shame on me?

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: differnt?

This is what drives me nuts about a lot of tech companies and their constant brainfarts

So many examples to choose from, let me see, which one sticks in my mind the most

Oh, Microsoft of course....by default not showing the file extension for associated files, leading to the ability for a malicious person to make an executable look like a harmless text file

But man how convenient is that, no 3 letter extension to confuse lusers, by default!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: differnt?

I think most people unfortunately can still be fooled by file names with executable extensions.

cedric_the_clever_fruit.bat

2. sreynolds

Never trusted slack, Never will.

I don't trust MS's 365 nor googles central we store your email offerings, even where the protocol for communication is quite small and quite clear. Why would anyone use Slack that could possibly leak so much about your org is beyond my comprehension. I mean apart from IBM with an average employee age of 16, who would use it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never trusted slack, Never will.

+1

I mean apart from IBM with an average employee age of 16, who would use it?

I was on a contract there when there when the project I was on switched over to Slack - the group of graduates on the project were tasked with evangelising Slack and the multiple channels that they setup for the project - I was glad to be shot of the whole lot on my last day

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Hipster directors with no clue would use it. Until they discover they have to pay for it for it to be useful and keep chat logs.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

All that, and it does little more than email has done for decades.

Oh look, the king has a new suit of the very finest cloth!

1. Muscleguy

It allows you to post documents for group discussion. I’m in a Scottish political party and we use it for policy discussions. Our manifesto due out soon would have been much, much harder to do using email.

It’s free and secure enough. Entry to our space and folders is by invitation only.

2. WallMeerkat

surely hipsters use hipchat?

3. Wilco

It's not really something you need to trust. I find it useful for exchanging messages with my remote, distributed team. The information we exchange is mostly fairly ephemeral - review this PR, anyone know what X means. It's basically the equivalent of going and talking to someone when we were all sat in the same building.

There's nothing very confidential being exchanged, so I'm not sure what your concern is. If you are saying "anything in the cloud is a risk", then the question is, compared to what.

Compared to not having this type of comms at all, yes it's a greater risk, obvs

Compared to using something that you host yourself? Probably a lesser risk, unless you are spending an extraordinary amount of effort keeping whatever it is you are using protected and patched. If Slack gets compromised and significant data leaks, that's their business fscked. I therefore assume, perhaps naively, that they are putting significant resources into making sure that this doesn't happen. Maybe your organisation is really good at security, and so you can do a better job than Slack - but that's atypical

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Sure, just look at all the recent CVEs for NNTP and IRC implementations...

Hmm.

But then Slack hasn't had one since, um, February.

Yes, this is an extremely persuasive argument.

Slack: Proudly bringing you half-assed versions of things that have been around for decades.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Bye bye Slack

You have just done a Microsoft on your foot. A simple message can get anyone into anywhere ? And it takes 4 hours to shut that down ?

Thanks for the heads-up. Slack is now on my blacklist.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sorry about that

But we'll make it better.

How many times have we heard that from companies, especially those promoting the 'next big thing'? How many times have they failed to deliver?

I don't believe it anymore. Questionable 'features' were designed and implemented that way.

Re: Sorry about that

Yes.

It's interesting how companies that actually do extensive user testing, like, oh, TechSmith, say, so rarely seem to show up in this "we rolled something out and people hated it" stories.

(I don't have any connection to TechSmith. I've met a couple people who work there, and talked to some about their user testing, and I've used a couple of their products.)

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

IM 101

we received valuable feedback from our users about how email invitations to use the feature could potentially be used to send abusive or harassing messages

If they really didn't realise custom invite messages could be used for abuse or spam then they shouldn't be in the IM business in the first place.

Re: IM 101

"We received valuable feedback from our users, who are obviously smarter than our product managers."

6. HandlesMessiah
    Stop

Let me see if I have this straight

If you're on a free Slack, you have to convert to a paid plan to prevent getting spammed?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IRC

You can pry my IRC from my cold, dead, fingers!

8. Piotr

Very useful

As a freelancer, I work with many remote clients each week and they more often than not use Slack for communications with their distributed teams. Having a single centralized communication tool for instant contact with current and new clients is just brilliant. Yes, there could be potential issues but the benefits far outweigh them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like