back to article Cockup or conspiracy? Popular privacy extension ClearURLs removed from Chrome web store

The Chrome browser extension ClearURLs has been removed from the Chrome Web Store, for reasons its developer describes as "ridiculous." Google’s Chrome team emailed ClearURLs developer Kevin Roebert yesterday to tell him (translated from German): “Your item had to be removed from the Chrome Web Store,” citing three violations …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Well, whatever Chrome's doing with it, I appreciate the heads-up to download it for Firefox!

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

just installed in Firefox, took 10 seconds to download - and .it works

1. stiine Silver badge

What's the mozilla bug id for their removal of our ability to disable pings. I will need to log in and fight this one (because I can if it hasn't been marked closed yet).

1. stiine Silver badge

There are some 7 year old bug reports (that duplicate 14 year old, closed, bug reports...) but the problem they're trying to solve is that not all companies have the bandwidth to use the Google Search method of using local URLs for tracking - that perform a redirect to the eventual (i nearly said requested) destination URL.

2. Erix

Ditto! Cheers to the Streisand effect! These fake links in Google search results have bothered me since forever but never enough to go looking for a cure. Until Google themselves put it right into my lap

2. b0llchit Silver badge
    Holmes

The walled garden

Of course would google remove all things that could impact the bottom line. They have been watching the fruity teacher for a while and are being more and more aggressive to ensure the bottom line. No surprise here.

Stop using google products and block it all I'd say. Adblocker, noscript and greasemonkey are the best tools to fix most of it locally. Yes, it takes a bit of an effort, but the reward is high when done consistently. And, if a site shows a blank page without scripts, then they are apparently not interested in my visit and will be strictly ignored.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Re: The walled garden

Not that easy. Some companies, either through ignorance or because they have some commercial connection with Google, force you to use them. This is one:

patientaccess.com/

It won't let you log in until you are able to run the Capture tool they have. Once logged in you can then disable Google -- but it's too late. They now know I've gone to that site. And I can't ignore this site as it is used by my GP service.

All I can do is delete all my cookies. But that doesn't help because when I come back to the site at some point in the future I have to tell Google again.

We should have the ability to deny any traffic going to Google, but with the current bunch of Tory greedy cunts in power I can't see any of my concerns being discussed, other than when to throw them into the waste paper bin.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The walled garden

Sounds like your GP service needs to be reported to the data protection authority.

3. jonathan keith

Applicable?

The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money. - Matt Taibbi, Rolling Stone 2009.

Has Google become the new Goldman Sachs?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Applicable?

Become? Yes. Has been for some time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the Striesand Effect, Mr Google, enjoy your (infinite) stay. I'm off to ClearURL's github page now :p

5. Wolfclaw

Hence Alphabet needs to be broken up, advert blocking gatekeeper and advertiser does not work together for benefit of users

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Facepalm

funny that, how the butcher is inspecting his own meat...

6. GloriousVictoryForThePeople

Took a while to actually find it. You're not doing yourself any favours Kevin.

https://github.com/ClearURLs/Addon/releases/download/1.21.0/clearurls-1.21.0-chrome.crx

In Opera, download, click it, go to extensions to enable it.

7. hj

"The issue is complex because Google also claims to be concerned about privacy, " made me blow air forcefully through my nostrils!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Holmes

Yes, Google is genuinely very concerned about privacy.

Because actual privacy will shred its money printing business.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your privacy? Or their privacy?

8. sreynolds

It's about time the EU and DoJ acted to stop this.

If these stores are such an essential element of these devices the Amazon Apple Google and Microsoft should all submit to some kind of ombudsman model for placing of products goods warez and services online and the terms and conditions should be set by the an impartial umpire. What we have at the moment is utter bullshit. They change the terms and conditions on a few days notice and set an arbitrary price for performing a service that doesn't cost anywhere near 30% of all revenue. I hope that the Epic v Apple battle brings this out.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Joke

Re: It's about time the EU and DoJ acted to stop this.

Maybe Google should remove the Google Store for violating these issues?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's about time the EU and DoJ acted to stop this.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we are not in the EU now, so any of the large global tech companies can happily shit on us, and we can do nowt to stop it.

Ah the sweet smell of sovereignty and taking back control.

9. bryces666

github method a few more hoops...

I grabbed this extension from github, got it installed in chrome but it wouldn't turn it on because it is not in the web store, you need to whitelist it in the registry (talking Windows here) as per TheSysWiz at https://github.com/ClearURLs/Addon/issues/102

10. 406 Not Acceptable

"The Duke of URL"

Very nice. Going back about 20 years, the heading: "Arrays and Rewind" by Richard Cobbett (I think) in PC World magazine. Miss that publication.

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Thanks

Yet another reason why I read the Register.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GDPR

Surely embedding tracking information in URLs is functionally identical to cookies and should require permission?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: GDPR

GDPR has nothing to do with cookie law.

Cookie law was a badly thought out piece of crap that should of never been implemented. All it did was condition everyone to click "accept" to everything that popped up.

Heck has anyone even been prosecuted under it?

13. big_D Silver badge

Sorry...

Enabling Ping, so that tracking sites don't do other things will improve the user experience?

NO, it won't!

You don't leave one door open, so that you don't need to find out which windows the burglar is trying to break open, you improve the overall security instead.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Sorry...

I think they mean: We will send a call to our tracking system, and you don't get to say no. It's up to you whether the call is made in parallel to calling your intended target, or whether we call the tracking system first, and that system redirects you serially afterwards.

To be honest, I find the ping idea better indeed: 1) faster 2) intended URL can be copied from the starting point, rather than that of the tracking website, and best of all 3) you can blackhole the ping request

If the calls are made serially, you can't blackhole the tracking system, because that's the one that will redirect you to where you want to go.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry...

One counterargument is that, by allowing sites to use ping to track you in exchange for a better user experience, we are removing a user-experience advantage that sites which don't track you at all previously had.

14. Jonjonz

Thanks Chocolate Factory, for clueing me in on another essential privacy add on

Thanks Chocolate Factory, for clueing me in on another essential privacy add on.

15. John Cowper

practical aspects

Folks, can anyone list the steps of extracting the code from either of the code repositories and executing in Firefox. I've tried the link but I get a chrome.crx failure

1. Bill Gray

Re: practical aspects

Hmmm... from Firefox, I simply clicked on the hamburger, Add-Ons, and entered ClearURLs in the search box. Done in about fifteen seconds. Can't see why you'd go to the code repos?

16. Cuddles

Ping

If I'm reading the ClearURL documenation correctly, it (optionally, default is to block) blocks ping attributes as well. The setting is called "Block hyperlink auditing", and links to this page for reference, which talks about handling ping attributes - https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/links.html#hyperlink-auditing

So unless I'm just getting confused, it won't matter if Firefox starts enabling ping attributes. If you use ClearURL you'll still be protected, and if you're not using it you weren't protected anyway.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

same in gmail

mouse over any link sent to you in googs gmail, and you can see that it redirects to goog - hijacking your link. (without consent) should be illegal for such fraud and data harvesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: same in gmail

Its probably on page 752 of the T&Cs. Also, if it bothers you, stop using GMail.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the remaining Javascript doing?

Another tool in the privacy fighting arsenal - excellent.

However, I note there are still two Javascript events (click and onmousedown) that point to obsfucated Javascript in each A tag. Anyone have any idea what they do? There's a rather interesting data-ved parameter which could well be a potential tracking identifier plus the identifier beginning with AOvV in the onmousedown event.

By the way, the click event seems to be attached from elsewhere and not directly in the A tag. Checked it in another browser without any privacy addons installed and the same two events are there.

Here's an example A tag:

<a href="https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mywy" data-ved="2ahUKEwjRm5S-yMvvAhVSlFkKHX2uDEYQFjAAegQIBhAD" onmousedown="return rwt(this,'','','','','AOvVaw0Er36RVSF-j7Wxx5kEfmWQ','','2ahUKEwjRm5S-yMvvAhVSlFkKHX2uDEYQFjAAegQIBhAD','','',event)"><br><h3 class="LC20lb DKV0Md">Planet Earth - BBC One</h3><div class="TbwUpd NJjxre"><cite class="iUh30 Zu0yb qLRx3b tjvcx">https://www.bbc.co.uk<span class="dyjrff qzEoUe"> › programmes<span></cite></div></a>

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the remaining Javascript doing?

So with a quick look, yes that Javascript does send a beacon with a lot of information back to Google. If you have uBlock Origin installed, it blocks it. So if you don't, go grab that.

Seems to send back the dynamic ID of the page (used in the DIV tag at the top of the page) along with lots of other information when you click on a link but I don't have time to reverse engineer.

19. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Probably a silly question, but do the actions shown apply to all chrome-driven browsers or only Google Chrome itself?

Be a bit ironic if a Google cash-path is baked into a Microsoft browser for instance ...

20. Wildhair

PrintWhatYouLike extension removed for web store violations

This extension, not updated since 2011 apparently has now been removed for web store policy violations.

The frustrating part of the removal is that I never saw anything that would cause it to be dinged. Didn't prompt for money, no ads, it was pretty much a plain simple extension that simply worked. Great for using for research, commentary, etc. It served a purpose.

Now it's gone, just like the gentlemans extension has in this thread

21. LorenDB

Hmm... ClearURLs is back up! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clearurls/lckanjgmijmafbedllaakclkaicjfmnk

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like