back to article TikTok no worse than Facebook for privacy, says Citizen Lab (although Chinese TikTok is a horror)

TikTok is likely no more of a threat to users than Facebook, according to an analysis by academic research group Citizen Lab that analyzed the video-sharing social networking service’s app to probe for security, privacy and censorship issues. The report was published online on March 22 by the University of Toronto Lab, which …

1. jake Silver badge

Thanks for the warning.

"TikTok is likely no more of a threat to users than Facebook"

That bad, eh?

1. Ordinary Donkey

Re: Thanks for the warning.

Just in: Branding no worse than burning for your skin.

1. jake Silver badge

I can think of several chemical burns that are a lot worse for your skin (and sometimes the rest of you!) than a typical kitchen burn.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Reminiscent of "COVID-19 is no worse for you than influenza". That bar is set a bit low.

That said, I take Citizen Labs' point: the sturm und drang over TikTok was largely due to people who are uninterested in making similar claims about Facebook. The Reg readership might not be surprised that the two are comparable, but I'm sure many who bought into the Former Fearful Leader's fear-mongering think Facebook is just peaches.

2. iron Silver badge

TikTok no worse than Facebook for privacy

So it should be banned from all app stores and devices. Not surprised.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Damning with faint praise?

Could any social engineering networking system be worse than Farcebook on privacy?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stalin no worse than Hitler

We can all sleep easier in our beds now.

5. werdsmith Silver badge

Lowest of the low bars.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"TikTok is likely no more of a threat to users than Facebook"

More or less.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"nor strong deviations of privacy, security and censorship practices when compared to [..] Facebook"

Using Facebook as a baseline is not exactly a stellar argument as far as I'm concerned.

That said, it would seem that, with proper study, TikTok is not a threat. It may remain stupid, but it is not a threat.

8. Andy Mac

No worse than Facebook

That’s like saying I’m no worse a cook than Jeffrey Dahmer.

9. MiguelC Silver badge
    Coat

Inconclusive?

"Douyin restricts some political terms in search, but it is inconclusive as to whether TikTok censors any political content."

Just use terms like "Tiananmen", "Winnie the Pooh", "Dalai Lama", etc. and any doubts can be cleared

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

big brother?

"Both apps have source code that restricts hate speech, suicide-related content and sensitive information."

If it automatically prevents you talking about "sensitive" information, is it meant for small children only?

Mehh, Glad I skipped this fad.

11. tiggity Silver badge

no worse than Facebook

Not exactly a glowing recommendation, given FB is to privacy what crocodile shears* are to male reproductive health.

* if you don't know what they are, be careful as searches may be NSFW

12. JDPower Bronze badge

I believe they call that "damning with faint praise"

13. aldolo

i invite all of you to have a look into tiktok to really understand what is really wrong with it

and it's not the privacy

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh. I witnessed a heated debate between a Chinese national and some USA-ians over the spy aspects of tiktok. She did back down and sort of admit to the accusation that it was "almost as bad as facebook."

15. Tree
    Trollface

BAD to the bone

If you understand face-BUTT terms of spying , just wait: terms change to be worse. They will share all about you with the most evil people amd organisations in order to track you.and if you don't like it, tell the Southern Poverty HATE Center.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like