back to article Microsoft nudges Windows 10 21H1 toward commercial customers

Microsoft has made the next version of Windows, known as 21H1, available to commercial customers ahead of its release to General Availability. The code's arrival is an indicator that the release, already lurking in the Windows Insider program, is just about ready. Although judging by the tumbleweed blowing through the Insider …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Microsoft nudges Windows 10 21H1 toward commercial customers

Can we get Richard Thaler to explain to Microsoft how nudges should work?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Microsoft nudges Windows 10 21H1 toward commercial customers

first thing I thought of when you said that...

"Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, know-what-I-mean?" [spoken by Eric Idle some ~50 yeas ago]

2. Danny 14

Re: Microsoft nudges Windows 10 21H1 toward commercial customers

"The bugs have been fixed. Honest! We used the last bug patch of a bug patch of a bug to roll all the fixes into 21H1! Please try it, please!"

2. Elledan
    Meh

Wish list

Still waiting for MSFT to finally do the right things:

* Kill the 'Settings' app disaster. It's been a half-aborted attempt at replacing the Configuration Panel, and unnecessarily splits configuration options between both, with worse ergonomics in the Settings app.

* Bring back Aero Glass and themes. I like Win7-style rounded corners, transparencies and semi-3D effects which allow me to see where f*ng window edges begin and end so that I am not clicking on the wrong window over and over because everything is grey lines on grey windows in a grey, dystopian UI with all the appeal of a Brutalist-style office building.

* Stop making Windows 10 into a terminal app for MSFT services. From hiding the 'create local account' option to stuffing the OS full with bloatware and ads for MSFT 'services', like OneDrive and more. Setting up Win10 feels like creating an Office356 account, which probably makes MSFT managers salivate, but sucks for those who just want to have an OS to run their apps.

Not holding my breath, of course.

1. foxyshadis

Re: Wish list

For all that settings had a long and janky evolution, and starts slow, it's pretty good for most purposes now. Control panel was never really much better, it had just been evolving one agonizing screen at a time for a little longer, but I'd pull my hair out if I had to go back to Win7's control panel. And that's exactly what the other option is, because they don't see any pressing need to create a coherent and consistent settings panel, so you know nothing would be updated.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Flame

The problem is that you *do* have to go back to the old Control Panel regularly for some settings.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

THe problem with settings are:

1) Ypu can access only one setting at a time

2) The UWP UI lacks many information previously available

3) Many settings previously available are no more, and if lucky they are still elsewhere, but you need now several steps to get at them. Very cumbersome when you're helping someone who doesn't know where they are.

4) The UWP UI has bad primitive controls only, and it's never clear what is a control and what is not

I do not understand why they removed truly tablet features that were available on Windows 8 and made using Windows in tablet mode very comfortable - but retained this UI that was bad in Windows 8 already, even in tablet mode.

2. a_yank_lurker

I would settle for no new features for a couple years and fixing the Bloatware as a Disservice. The latest fiasco shows the Rejects of Redmond have a long, long, long way to go before BaaD can be called mediocre.

3. J27

You'll never get that, Microsoft is just doing what the majority of uses want, and stepping back in time is not something Joe Average wants.

I do agree with you about the settings app, how it took them so long to build such a badly designed Control Panel replacement boggles my mind. I do think part of the problem is the idea of retaining the Control Panel. Because if they didn't they wouldn't have been able to get away with this level of incompetence.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, my bet is Microsoft is doing what the management wants to spend less money. They probably believe this ugly simplified UI can be developed by cheap programmers with little clues about complex UI development, and probably they did move development to cheap programmers.

After all the money comes now from different products, and if you give it away mostly for free you can't invest much resources. That's probably why every time they tried bigger changes the quality was abysmal, and now they just introduce minor changes

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Facepalm

just doing what the majority of uses want,

Where are these 'straw man' "users" exactly?

It has been my general opinion (and observation) that Micros~1 went off of the customer dis-service "cliff of shame" like so many other techno-lemmings, FORCIBLY adopted the 2D FLATTY look [instead of giving us A CHOICE], removed features THEY didn't want US to have, created NEW features they wanted US to use INSTEAD, and tried to shove a poor attempt at "touch-friendly phone-like interface" down the throats of PC users that were perfectly happy with their keyboard+mouse interfaces (while Windows Phone collapsed under its own bloat, rendering the entire 'One Windows' concept COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS AND IRRELEVANT).

And they basically re-invented the wheel [poorly], rendering ALL previous Micros~1 wheels "obsolete" and executed DELIBERATE pressure (GWX) to PREVENT US FROM USING THE OLD VERSIONS, and _THEN_ (finally) MADE US TAKE IT WHETHER WE WANTED IT OR NOT, "for our own good", by dumping support (and convincing software makers to NOT support 7 any more) as if they were some kind of government bureaucracy in charge of how we MUST use OUR computers. And so on.

And from what I've seen, THIS is MUCH closer to "what the majority of users want" than what you said...

"Stepping back in time" - it would be good for us ALL. Let's step back to Windows 7's interface, and software that you OWN instead of RENT, _NO_ advertisements within the applications _OR_ the OS, and LOCAL logins instead of cloudy-track-you logins. and so forth.

My PC is *NOT* a phone, so why the "phone-like" interface?? And what _I_ do with it is *NOT* Micros~1's (or anyone ELSE's) business!!!

At least with this last update, it seems Micros~1 isn't cramming anything "new, shiny" at us. As someone else has mentioned, I hope they spend the next 2 years FIXING BUGS instead of CREATING NEW ONES within their FORCED UPDATES.

1. EnviableOne
          Windows

Choose choosing

Choose Linux .....

Choose SystemD

Choose Frustration

Choose Frantically searching forums at four am

Choose file conversion software

Choose Emulators failing to run the needed update right now

I chose not to choose, I sold my soul to M$ years ago

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Totally agree. Windows is just so full if “we are doing it this way because it's better for us” things. For example clicking start to do a bing search (who in their right mind?) because you want to search for ‘CMD’ and not go to the command line prompt, of course you do.

Then random updates that push the user to connect their login to a Microsoft account. Why? It just creates more work for everybody.

And the latest printer debacle - where’s this supposed update that fixes it? I can’t find it. Why isn’t there a CLEAR option that says ‘uninstall this update and don’t install it again’ ?

That company has a track record of making unreliable software. It’s over bloated and under capable. It really is like The Emperor’s New Clothes. We all know it’s bad but we all live with it.

5. G40

All good but high time MSFT made it possible to update a bootable VHD installation ...

3. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Is it just me..

..or does Microsoft's current nomenclature for Windows versions sound like virus designations? "21H1" sounds like "H1N1" Of course many have proposed over the years that Windows IS a virus..

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Windows IS a virus

Have an upvote for telling the truth.

What Windows has needed for well over a decade is a setting that allows experts to not have to install all the cruft (aka bloatware) that many business users simply don't want or can't use because of security concerns. For example NOT installing On-Drive and having a setting somewhere that can be set that stops any user from installing and setting it up would be a start.

But... Sadly Redomd would never allow that. Their entire focus is to make everything migrate to their cloud whether you like it or not. Once that happens they really do that you by the short and curlies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You might like this powershell script - it will set onedrive so it can't be launched if you want to.

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx-2xxx

1. butmonkeh

Interesting script, thanks! How would you compare it to:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

I'm pretty new to powershell, so sifting through the code wouldn't help much.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I read that ad Debloader and thought that a script that replaced W10 with something that loaded its S/W via .deb files would do the job nicely.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows is an awful bloated mess...

It’s like it’s been on full lockdown for a decade, without changing its underpants.

Horrible.

1. WolfFan Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Windows is an awful bloated mess...

You are so, so, SO wrong. Windows hasn’t been a decade without changing its underpants; Windows is a Kardasian, and doesn’t wear underpants.

Paris because El Reg doesn’t have a Kardasian icon.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: underpants

I think you are both wrong.

The drawer where the underpants are stored is full of creepy-crawlies and every time Windows changes them - which is on a very regular basis, sometimes for reasons of incontinence - a whole new set of bugs emerges.

2. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Windows is an awful bloated mess...

I'm so confused. Did you mean to type "Kardashian", as in those talentless famous-for-being-famous squillionaire-trailer-trash types, or Cardassian, as in those brutish and looming aliens from Deep Space Nine - known for being pitiless, sadistic, and totalitarian? Because unless there's a plotline somewhere that I've missed, there wasn't a whole lot of DS9 devoted to the Cardassian's underwear arrangements. Tighty-whities or thongs, or some weird alien alternative? *shudder*

5. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Windows

Ahhh just in

time for all of us who've finally got some semblance of sanity out of windows 10 and learnt where the settings you need are hidden (and got the printers working again), to have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous designers hiding all the settings in different places and reseting your computer to m$ standard ah to sleep and perchance to dream of windows 7 and not to suffer an internet outage that renders your files unavailable because for some reason they're on onedrive now.

wheres the head banging against a wall icon?

PS Installing linux mint an another PC now.. :)

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Hey M$

Let me save you loads of cash... Next go round of branding should be Windows Desktop.build number, and Windows Server.build number. Lose the Numbers... It's time, you are ready to go to WDaaS and WSaaS.

7. The Aussie Paradox
    Devil

Pre-release code ready for validation

"Pre-release code ready for validation"

Is this the new marketing speak for "validation is now performed by the end users, so... sux to be you"?

Icon because... Marketing Droids.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Pre-release code ready for validation

They sacked the Test and eval teams to save $$$$$$

roughly around the time they came up with the mess that was windows 8

but TBF they came out with Me when they had a test team .....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its time to stop polishing this t**d

And time for Windows 11 with a far better GUI (reverting to the Win7 one would be a start) and a logical layout of various system controls and other features that in Win 10 have been scattered around with seeming abandon. Also time to bin cmd.exe altogether, make bash + utilities fully capable of controlling ALL aspects of windows functionality so windows can be controlled lights out via an ssh link without requiring bandwidth sucking remote desktop, and the convoluted powershell becoming legacy.

Linux

Re: Its time to stop polishing this t**d

my windows systems (running 7) always seem to do their best when I include Cygwin to give me a bash shell and POSIX utilities to do those things that POSIX does best. Good example, searching windows header files for definitions and function names. 'find' and 'grep' are SO awesome together...

On the TIOBE index, Power[s]Hell is at number 46. Perl is at 17.

I looked at a comparison of bash vs Power[s]Hell commands and most of them weren't QUITE this bad, but the article basically said things like this:

In bash, you would use 'cp -R Tools ~/' but in PowerShell you'd say

Copy-Item -Path '.\Tools\' -Destination $env:USERPROFILE -Recurse

Yeah some improvement THAT is.

1. EnviableOne

the reason Power[s]Hell is so high up, is people have to use it to get Bindows in a useable state, and to get the actual information you want from the bloated, messy POS

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I actually have no problem with the Windows10 UI - but that might be because I run it on a Mac (a Parallels VM in coherent mode, meaning the occasional app I need that doesn't have a Mac version runs as though it was a Mac version.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"users should not expect much whizzbangery"

Users do not want whizzbangery, they want an OS that is stable and reliable and doesn't pull the rug from under their feet without warning.

Borkzilla still has not understood that people need an OS to run the programs they need to use, not to be bothered by an OS that wants the spotlight. The OS is supposed to be the background, near-invisible and unobtrusive.

Thumb Up

Re: "users should not expect much whizzbangery"

not to be bothered by an OS that wants the spotlight

_SO_ many thumbs up you deserve for this

(it's like a program that significantly altered your autoexec.bat and config.sys files without your permission, back in the DOS days - the 'arrogance of the developer', as if HIS software is THE most important thing YOU have on YOUR computer...)

1. handle handle

Except ATIOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS mods were easily fixed. Edit. Reboot. Sorted. That bloody ship has sailed, mate.

1. EnviableOne

it takes a lot more now powershell, regedit, Local group policy, navigate 30 settings windows, try some hacks on the forums, then give up format re-install, restore, re-update, Just in time for Patch Tuesday to Bork everything again......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like