back to article Under the C: This week's jobs feature deep-diving software engineers and agile managers

The Register is publishing free job ads to help keep tech professionals in gainful employment during these unusual times. If you're trying to hire techies or in the IT sector, send your job opportunities to us here and we'll promote them for free. For those hunting new opportunities, you can find past listings here and get …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny...

How everyone is only after senior staff...

Also odd, is that with what must be the most widely read tech rag in the UK, which will reach people who aren't even looking for a job, and offering free ads. They get barely a handful. WTF?

Also the rather great sounding OBIC job mentions working at sea, but not whether an ENG1 is required, this can be a substantial cut off for sea borne adventures. Long gone are the days when a peg leg and a hook hand were requirements.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Funny...

They get barely a handful

If you look at some of the popular jobs boards, you'll find a load of listings that, to put it kindly, are of a speculative nature. I would imagine that the jobs in El Reg at least actually exist in roughly the form described.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Working in a related field, a medical has been requested from me when boarding a boat.

And it's sensible. From my experience, boats seem to be mostly made from stairs!

1. Dave 15

For north sea rugs you needed a full medical i clouding eyesight and teeth because evacuating you back is expensive. You also needed an offshore survival course including serious firefighting, lifeboat, helicopter escape and other drills. I assume you probably still do but I haven't had one for a few years

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

i clouding eyesight

I see what you did there

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "For north sea rugs you needed a full medical i clouding eyesight and teeth because evacuating you back is expensive."

An ENG1 is actually a legal requirement for anyone with safety duties at sea, which is typically everyone.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The USN calls them “ladders”. Stairs are fer landlubbers, matey!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

under the sea...

I knew a guy who had a college internship to do some programming for a resesrch program on a seagoing vessel. This was a relatively small boat on a rough inland sea, and he had to do some programming at a workstation below decks. Starting at a monitor on a rolling boat was a stomach turning experience. Worse was the fact that he was a former sailor for the US navy, so they're was no way he could let himself show signs of seasickness. Poor guy had served on an aircraft carrier, so rough seas were never a problem.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Perhaps the 1st position would suit...

... someone who's career has sunk and they're feeling a bit washed up?

I'll get my coat...

4. Dave 15

BBC are saying

The BBC reports today that young are not going into IT. Not bloody surprising us it? A limited crime contract for 30k..... Not even permanent where you could decide to set up home. The register should quality control the adverts it allows. If you are offering less than Bangalore find somewhere else for your insulting offer. In Germany you could not offer a graduate never mind the demanded experienced engineer such a paltry sum.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"AGILE PROJECT MANAGER"........and there was me thinking that the Agile Manifesto meant that these three words could NEVER, EVER be used together!!

"...scope of a project..." --- ditto ---

"... globally distributed SaaS product..." --- Ah.....experience of SolarWinds is definitely needed here.

Can they find someone who has dissociative identity disorder AND security engineering experience?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like