back to article Something fishy is going on in Taiwan as folk change name to include 'salmon' for free sushi

So it turns out there is such a thing as a free lunch – if you're Taiwanese and are OK with changing your ID card to include "salmon". Thanks to a promotional campaign run by a sushi chain offering an all-you-can-eat feast for anyone with an ID card featuring the Chinese characters "gui yu" and five friends, "about 150 mostly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Explosive Good Looking Salmon

Bingo!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I've got a hunch

I think reastaurant chains in Taiwan are going to think twice before trying to pull this kind of stunt again.

I never knew there was a country in this world that allowed you to change you name like some games do. I live in France. If I wanted to change my name, I'd have to go before a judge and get it approved. Not impossible, far from, but a far cry from submitting a web form and getting it done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've got a hunch

Good post.

Mind you, I guess it's still slightly easier in France than when there was a monarchy, and only the monarch could approve name changes.*

*Information garnered from reading Hugo's Les Misérables.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

All you need in the UK to officially change your name is a Deed Poll document. You can find many free examples of them online to print out yourself and then get someone to sign it as a witness. You could then go to a lawyer to get it witnessed, but you could just ask your doctor, a neighbour, boss at work etc. Basically anyone who knows you. Although from experience they don't seem to check up on these things, although maybe they do if you are changing your names a lot. I witnessed the name change for a friend about 10 years ago and no one ever contacted me to verify i even knew them.

Once you have your Deed Poll document you then fire that off to the relevant authorities who need to be told of your change of name and you are done. For things like passports and driving licenses though you will have to pay to get them reissued in the new name so its not completely free.

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
      Mushroom

You'd be shocked how easy in the UK it is, a simple Sworn (in front of a suitably 'approved person, Notary Public, Solicitor or Barrister) document will siffice for ALL uses including a applying for a passeport [DONT loose the original hand signed one!]. It can be more formally be executed through the High Court Queens Bench Division but it's not an absolute requirement.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

AFAIK it is still legal tob go by whatever name you want to in the UK. I learned this long ago when the barrister Quintin Hogg used to write a newspaoer column. He had a bee in his bonnet about the "Englishman's" right to call themselves whaterver they wanted to be called. Just because, for example, banking legislation forces you to oroduce a trail of documents to authenticate yourself, doesn't mean that you can't be Joseph Blogss at your pub and keep a car under the name Juan Fangio. For example, the TV licencing has granted me a licence as Tele Spector.

3. David 132 Silver badge

Yeah, they'll definitely roe the day.

3. Dabooka
    Go

Simply puntatsic

'Ofishals were quick to raise the salmon of doubt, and deputy interior minister Chen Tsung-yen issued a plea in the media to scale back on the mischief and really mullet over before taking such action.'

Oh well done

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Simply puntatsic

From my perch across the pond, it seems to me he's floundering. Rather than snapper at it perhaps they should hold a herring on the law.

"Bugrit, millennium hand an' shrimp..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simply puntatsic

The kind of sofishticated pun that gives you a krilling haddock. Salmon had to say it and I plead gill-ty.

Thank cod I'm fin-ished and getting out of this plaice.

4. Evil Auditor Silver badge

A former first minister would have had quite an advantage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The current First Minister is a bit fishy too...

1. macjules

But only in a caviar cavalier sort of way.

5. RM Myers
    Coat

An Ode to the Hungry and Broke

There was a young man from Taipei,

Who for Sushi could not afford to pay

I'm so tired of eating Ramen

I'll change my name to salmon

But only for a day

6. Paul Herber Silver badge

No bones about it, we need an annual International Fish Pun Day.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Pirate

We could combine it with Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Arrrrrrr-Soles!

7. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

What an otter load of nonsense!

Something about dolphins can't think of a pun.

I'll get my coati

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Something about dolphins can't think of a pun.

Perhaps a side of Dolphinoise Potatoes might help?

2. JassMan
      Headmaster

"Something about dolphins can't think of a pun."

Since us unintelligent humans haven't learnt how to translate from dolphin (which aren't fish anyway), how would you know that dolphins can't think of a pun?

1. Clunking Fist

Re: "Something about dolphins can't think of a pun."

Indeed, I have a feeling they pun a lot, that's why they are always laughing or groaning.

3. weirdbeardmt

All this chaos was created on porpoise.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have saved this article for Fryday.

9. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

Rainbow Trout - something fishy

Over the other side of the Taiwan Straight in China, Rainbow Trout can be labelled and sold as "Salmon"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-45178638

New rules introduced in China mean rainbow trout can now be labelled and sold domestically as salmon.

Why? Because a media report earlier this year caused a splash by revealing that rainbow trout had for years been labelled as the similar-looking fish.

Authorities decided that instead of banning the practice, the best solution would be to legitimise it.

10. JassMan
    Joke

I'm surprised that the story didn't also contain a few red herrings

[body must not contain fishy bits]

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please scale it down.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Next month: Disney encourages kids to change their name to...

Winnie the Pooh.

Hilarity with the Chinese neighbours ensues!

13. Peter in Seattle

If sometime US senator, Treasury Secretary, and Chief Justice …

… Salmon P. Chase wasn't already pissed off about dying in 1873, I bet he he is now.

14. sbt
    Pint

Your sub-editors deserve a pint ...

... for coping with all those punny mispellings. It must have been roughy.

It's not my plaice to engage in marine-based word-play. I codn't be bothered thinking of any.

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Your sub-editors deserve a pint ...

The sub-editor wrote it ;)

15. weirdbeardmt

I can’t believe what I’m sea-ing. This is neither the time nor the plaice for such a load of pollacks. Bunch of bass-tards.

(I’ll get my mac-kerel.)

16. Securitymoose
    Unhappy

Greedy people everywhere

This is basically 'theft'. Sadly a reflection of the greed of mankind that is endemic to our species.

1. David Nash Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Greedy people everywhere

Sushi company gives away food, and it's theft?

17. nautica Silver badge
    Linux

Offishal legal opinions, please, chum.

But seriously, folks...

It's been my understanding, forever, that there's absolutely no problem (in the US of A) regarding the changing of your name yourself, without the need to get anyone else involved--certainly no bureaucracy of any kind.

All you have to do is start using that name. Verbally, On paper. With the full knowledge of everyone--or not, depending upon your motivation(s). Even letting it be known that you are using an alias.

The--fully--legal terminology and characterization of this is that you are using an 'alias', and the use of an 'alias' is entirely legal. Proper 'paperwork' (for job applications, financial dealings, e.g.) even ask if you are known by any alias(es).

Now, what the full legal ramifications of using an alias are, I have no idea. I am certain, however, that a 'Last Will and Testament', made, using an alias, would not be considered binding in any way.

But to get a free promo...?

"...so long, and thanks for all the fish..."

1. David Nash Silver badge

Re: Offishal legal opinions, please, chum.

If I understood correctly they had to show an official id card with the salmony name.

18. ABehrens

The Grouper Beneath Her Feet

The promotion is over? Looks like Salmon Rushdie has missed his chance for a free dinner.

19. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

For some reason they weren't so keen...

...on Ella prefixing her name with Salmon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like