back to article Windows 10 Insider build fixes the fix it sent out to fix the fix that broke printing? Afraid not, but here's a new Notepad icon

Microsoft has thrown its long-suffering unpaid testers a bone in the form of a fresh Windows 10 insider build with tweaks to Virtual Desktops, a preview of Auto HDR and changes to what comes in the box. Most notable in the Dev Channel build 21337 is yet more prodding of the veteran Notepad app, a stalwart from the early days …

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Paperless

...maybe fixing the fix it sent out to fix the fix that broke printing...

Perhaps Microsoft has decided that it is, at long last, time to take that "Paperless" thing seriously. Just think of all the desk space we'll gain without printers. And, we'll never have to complain about the cost of printer ink again.

1. Danny 14

Re: Paperless

That really helps printing photos for the wall. We worked around it by printing to Microsoft pdf first, then printing the pdf.

2. PeterM42
      WTF?

The "Paperless Office" is about as likely (and as useful) as the paperless loo.

(For the Yanks: Loo = Restroom/Bathroom)

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

I mentioned this to a similar response for a related article...

RIght now it's "tax season" in the USA. To electronically file them, you usually have to print something, then sign it, then scan it, then attached the scanned document to your electronically filed tax stuff.

Can't do that if the printer is broken. And it's due on or before April 15.

The only OTHER alternative seems to be PRINTING EVERYTHING and mailing it. Printer required, yeah.

2. Tomato42
    Windows

Printing?

Printing? In Windows? Broken?

One of the days that end in 'y', I guess

1. Tomato Krill

Re: Printing?

Yes, unlike printing under Linux which has always been an absolute dream...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Fuck me, Windows dev is getting really boring

I read the change log for 2021H2 when it popped up recently on a box that was out of action for a few hours whilst doing the necessary. It read like an excited puppy had recently discovered humping a leg but without the gravitas.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Fuck me, Windows dev is getting really boring

Look! There's a new start menu! Isn't it great!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's catching

I read the same thing yesterday in a review of the latest KDE Plasma. So long as they haven't broken the alternative cascading menus it'll be OK, otherwise I'm not looking forward to it landing in a distro I use. Why do UI developers insist on fixing what isn't broken and leave the irritants in place? (In KDE's case, restore the ability to specify using just the corner to unhide a panel that was removed in KDE 4.)

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: It's catching

Indeed. Thrusting the Taskbar up to the sky, and choosing the Classic cascading menu are literally the first thing I do on installing an OS.

You may like to check out the latest iteration of the Downloads folder. Suddenly all little compartments. By date !

They do like 'improvements'. Apart from my innate distrust of all devs' fascist control issues, I shall never forego KDE [ though their taking away the previous possibility of having different wallpaper for each virtual desktop in Plasma 5, which seems axiomatic, and never ever returning it, makes my blood boil. And no, I shall never use 'Activities' ].

4. sbt
    Coat

Those deckchairs won't rearrange themselves

OK, it's kind of a cheap shot; it's not like the graphic designers working on the Notepad icon are responsible for the print driver code, is it? I know it seems that way, but it isn't.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: Those deckchairs won't rearrange themselves

Get Ballmer in to start a vigorous rearranging of said chairs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agile development at it's finest. If it can't get done in a 3 week sprint, it probably never will.

2. Danny 14

Ar least notepad has reliably worked for years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's because they haven't gotten to that yet. You know you're doomed when that starts receiving UI changes, after all at present it's way too usable, primitive as it is. Can't have that, and it's only a matter of time before someone notices.

2. PeterM42
        Facepalm

They will have to fix that in the usual way.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Danny 14 - Re: Those deckchairs won't rearrange themselves

Yeah, and that worries me!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't worry too much about the icons, but if we're playing around with them, I wish Notepad++ and IrfanView would do something about theirs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I love Notepad++ and IrfanView.

Really couldn't care less about their icons, the developers produce excellent software that I want to use.

I've donated to IrfanView and thanks to your comment I've just realised I have never donated to Notepad++

Excuse me whilst I go and do that....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I came across 'Freac' yesterday, having a need to find a CD ripper and tagger that worked for someone who had only limited understanding of the need to link to music databases, along with the (sometimes) further need to register with one or more somewhere along the line (yes, yes, I know not always, but the ones I'd trialled did, as well as not identifying the particular CD he'd purchased and wanted to rip).

I was so impressed, I kept it, donated, and warned my client that he should too (and I'll nag him).

I always donate if I use the software. Same with Wordpress plugins and anything else that works well.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Donate generously, and ask for an icon update?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As I said, icons don't really bother me - it was just a bit of 'what if' musing.

Mind you, a lone voice likely wouldn't have much influence with the bigger open source projects. There's a world full of people who would campaign to keep that squashed cat just on principle (remember the GIMP article recently?)

If it works, I donate, and just use it.

3. JDPower Bronze badge

I've never understood the roadkill cat icon of Irfanview.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Hideous.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notepad icon

"Most notable in the Dev Channel build 21337 is yet more prodding of the veteran Notepad app, a stalwart from the early days of Windows. "

Wow, f**k me, impressive stuff, Redmond ! What next ? New wordpad icon ?

You guys never cease to escalate higher in excellence !

7. ecofeco Silver badge

Same old Microsoft

Same shit, different decade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like