back to article McAfee, the company, says Chinese attackers targeted Asian and US telcos

Security vendor McAfee has detected an attack it believes was likely aimed at telecoms companies in the hope of stealing information related to 5G networks. McAfee has named the attack “Operation Diànxùn” and says it resembles past attacks perpetrated by groups named RedDelta and Mustang Panda. Both groups have been associated …

1. Chris G

In general, from what I read, China is ahead in the roll out and use of 5G compared to much of the West.

That moderate confidence may be aimed more at increasing sales of McAfee's products than who should be on the naughty step.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are reasons the equipment china wanted to deploy to the world have been rejected by the semi free world. If you missed that, there is plenty info to research. One of them happens to be a data security issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh, I thought that was Cisco. No, wait, Juniper. Oh, my mistake it was SolarWinds...

2. Blazde Silver badge

It definitely has the feel of a blind guess 'Thing A happened then Thing B happened so they're probably linked' type statement

"Stock markets fall on tsunami warning in South Pacific"

"UK population reaches new record following pub smoking ban"

"PS5 launch sees drop in knife crime"

Entire lifelong bullshitting careers are built on this one template.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"the attack should not be vastly difficult to defend" (against)

Certainly not if you check the link before clicking on it and know who it is you work with.

I also imagine that the sender name is spoofed and that there are a number of ways to detect that the mail is not legit rather than seeing a logo that looks familiar and deciding to blindly trust the mail content.

For Pete's sake, how is it that people are still falling for crap like this after decades of mail spam ?

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "the attack should not be vastly difficult to defend" (against)

Exactly @Pascal, and, while they are at it, people should set their mail client to not download images or attachments until specifically requested.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hxxp://update.careerhuawei.net

I don't even need to do a WhoIs lookup anymore.

It's a given

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: hxxp://update.careerhuawei.net

That's an obvious indicator that something shady is going on - real links begin with http not hxxp!

I are computer sekurity profeshionul so I know!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon