back to article Burgers, birds, and Blue Screens of Death: Remember the joys of commuting?

Bork disappears up its own fundament today with a return to the place where it all began – a BSOD at London Victoria Station. Pedants might point out that "where it all began" was actually a heaving McDonald's within the cathedral to public transport, but a BSOD is a BSOD regardless. The latest example of the breed, sent to us …

1. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

No.... !

"Perhaps now might therefore be a good time to pull down the shutters on this inexplicably long-running feature."

No - keep it running. Windows and any OS. I enjoy seeing the weird and wonderful places that computers have been installed for the public to gawp at and how they fail so spectacularly.

2. Steve Button Silver badge

It's a sad day, but perhaps it's time to move on.

You know, and spend more time doing the actual work they are paying me for.

1. Danny 14

Re: It's a sad day, but perhaps it's time to move on.

I remember my monthly commute to bracknell for mandatory staff week at HQ. Since i lived in the lakes this was a pain in the arse, however they did provide rail fare. So I used to take the sleeper train from carlisle. I arrived much happier.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a good time to pull down the shutters on this inexplicably long-running feature"

And replace all those Borkzilla windows by Linux installations that don't keel over when the wind changes direction ? Good idea.

Now all you have to do is find who is going to pay for it.

Windows is the bane of the business world. It stumbles over its own feet regularly, but because most programmers know how to deal with it, it has staying power like nothing before.

We need more Linux developers in order to ensure that future public screens will continue displaying what they're supposed to and not show another dismal failure of a mess of an OS.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: "a good time to pull down the shutters on this inexplicably long-running feature"

Nope, if you remember, there was a couple of Linux borks featured.

Bork comes to all, in time.

4. Roger Kynaston

Pull the shutters down?

Perhaps when you have collected all the monopoly board stations. KX,Euston, Marylebone etc.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Pull the shutters down?

Hmmm now I fancy a game of Mornington Crescent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Pull the shutters down?

I think you'll find that puts you in Nid

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The deserted station makes us feel a little nostalgic.

Now the kids are back at school and the twice daily school run is clogging up the roads again, I'm feeling a little nostalgic for the days when the roads were quiet, even during "rush" hour. Coming home today at "just the wrong time", the queues to the end of the motorway spur that 'till now either didn't exist or were maybe 100yds long are back to pre-pandemic lengths to the previous junction.

(Yeah, I know, some people have had a really bad year, I do fell lucky. I'm just having a whinge, ok?)

6. aregross

Does anybody really know what time it is?

While everything else on that screen is written in English, what's up with that Time Stamp?

1. Notmy Realname

Re: Does anybody really know what time it is?

Convert to decimal then Unix time and you get Fri, 05 Jul 2013 17:14:20 GMT. Probably the build time of the failing bit.

7. Robert Forsyth

windows damage your computer?

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

8. Robert Moore
    Pint

Noooooooooooooo!

Pull the shutters down?

Don't do that I love seeing broken computers that I don't have to fix.

9. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Pigeon spikes

Ok this is a boot-up issue, but the spikes will prevent network communications a la RFC1149.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like