back to article UK taxman plonks £23bn (sorry HMRC meant £23m) on the table, asks vendors: OK, so what can you do for us in terms of 'mobility services'?

UK tax collector Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs is looking to have a friendly chat with tech vendors as part of its plan to contract £23.1bn in "mobility services". The "pre-market engagement exercise" launched this week is designed to help understand what the market could provide in terms of "Mobility and Workplace Services …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Mushroom

so what can you do?

Well, HMRC, you could start by sorting out the £12k or so of excess taxes you owe me...

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: so what can you do?

So that's about £420m a week but the NHS was only promised £350m a week.

2. easytoby

Mind Boggles! : £348k per staff person ?!

66,000 staff work at HMRC, this 'mobility solution' better include a car and a driver for each person at this level

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Has to be a typo. That is suspiciously similar to 1,000x the actual amount spent on that contract.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"HMRC's ways of working are changing"

Are they now ?

From where I'm sitting, it looks like you're still throw money on the bonfire.

You don't need billions of pounds to refine procedures and make processes more efficient. What on Earth are you expecting for that amount of money ? Replace all laptops with 5G versions and replace all server equipment with brand new high-end servers ?

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Devil

Trebles all round ...

I suspect that "tech vendors" are part of a vanishingly small group of people that look forward to "a friendly chat" with HMRC.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

Too small

£23.1bn? £900m IT Budget?

Baroness Harding has raised the bar with respect to blowing away money on IT projects, and the "usual suspect" recipients of government contracts would be expecting to trouser that much more. Double or triple those figures for good measure. And factor in something for paying the lawyers for when the wrangling starts well before delivery

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You meant £23M right? Surely not even HMRC could piss away £23B

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

https://find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/004966-2021

II.1.5) Estimated total value

Value excluding VAT: £23,100,000,000

1. easytoby

Business Op

I've written to ask for clarification, because at £23b there is a retirement opportunity and a half here.

1. easytoby

Re: Business Op

I've not received any acknowledgment or replies to my enquiries.

I assume (hope) that it is a typo (else I will feel even worse about paying tax). But no confirmation yet.

2. easytoby
        Facepalm

They could at least take the original one down?

I love that that the original notice remains in place with no indication it has been superseded

7. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

TUPE

"Suppliers should assume that TUPE will apply, further details will be released during the full tender process. Prior TUPE experience is important as there will likely be a significant level of TUPE transition of resources from the existing supplier managing these environments to new arrangements."

So, that's what "mobility" stands for

8. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

What will happen

Let me guess.

The usual suspect cloud vendors will propose solving it via the cloud.

The usual suspect software vendors will propose solving it with their software.

The usual suspect consultants will propose solving it with their expertise.

And HMRC divide the pot among them. And start over in a few years when nothing works.

9. taxman
    Holmes

Correction made

Might have guessed that it wasn't the right info (CapGemini/Fujitsu services on offer)

Correction published https://find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/005321-2021

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like