back to article India pauses blockchain-powered SMS spam-scrubber after it swallows people's one-time login codes

India’s Telecom Regulatory Authority has paused the rollout of a national SMS “scrubbing” service and blamed business for the delay. The authority, aka TRAI, introduced the scrubbing service to curb text spam in India, where mobile phone users can expect a couple of unsolicited messages every day according to spam-blocking app …

1. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

So somebody else gets to spy on all your bank SMS OTP's ? What could go wrong?

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Just as well...

India is awash with call centres full of experts.

I know, a Microsoft engineer rang me just the other day, repeatedly....

3. Denarius

a simpler solution

spammers users get hard labour in a suitable salt mine in the hills. A slight sentence reduction for dobbing in spammers, their contacts and finance services.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: spammers users get hard labour in a suitable salt mine in the hills

Isn't that where all the salt that goes into encrypted messages come from?

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Coat

Re: spammers users get hard labour in a suitable salt mine in the hills

Maybe that explains why they've made such a hash of it....

Re: Maybe that explains why they've made such a hash of it....

I, at least, appreciated your cryptic comment.

1. Sitaram Chamarty

Re: Maybe that explains why they've made such a hash of it....

this place is peppered with comedians!

Re: this place is peppered with comedians!

I now appreciate your cryptic comment having looked it up.

I learn something new every day.

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

Far to many mentions of the word "blockchain" in that article for my liking. That is probably the problem.

Nothing wrong with blockchains per se. They are a way of storing data, and in many cases, a very good way to store data. But if you are focusing on the way you store the data, you are likely not focusing on what you are actually doing with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Far to many mentions of the word "blockchain" in that article for my liking."

Indeed.

They need to also use some AI on a "serverless" cloud.

5. iron Silver badge

So India's Telecom Regulatory Authority are intercepting all SMS? Another example of why I keep telling my bank that SMS MFA is not secure. Especially when you require it every 5 minutes that I'm logged into their site and again if I actually try to do anything on the site. Annoying as hell and not secure given the number of people that could be snooping on SMS and surely thieves take a victim's phone as well as their wallet.

How long before GCHQ suggest they need the power to intercept ALL SMS in order to prevent SPAM?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like