back to article European, US watchdogs approve Microsoft's $7.5bn deal to takeover video games publisher ZeniMax

The European Commission and the US Securities and Exchange Commission have approved Microsoft’s acquisition of ZeniMax, a US video game holding biz behind top titles like Doom and Fallout, in a deal worth a whopping $7.5bn. Microsoft announced it wanted to take over ZeniMax in September. At the time CEO Satya Nadella claimed …

1. DevOpsTimothyC

Complaints to the EU

So when can we start filing complaints to the EU that Microsoft is abusing it's monopolistic position to only makes games for Windows and Xbox ?

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Complaints to the EU

There is no legal obligation to offer games for every platform. Otherwise Nintendo would have lost a lawsuit about that ages ago.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Yeah. But Nintendo isin't a convicted monopolist with a habit of buying out everything in sight, and destroying everything it touches.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

At present Sony has more exclusive titles for Playstation and most, if not all Nintendo titles are exclusive. As are Apple apps, Netflix movies and TV shows, etc.

Plus, Xbox still comes in second in the console wars so it's hard to say they're a monopoly in this area.

Now if M$'s Windows as a Service every comes to be and Xbox Game Pass is a mandatory part of it, then the EU might have something to say.

1. MJI Silver badge

The question MS needs to ask is that are fans of the PS or Nintendo exclusives bothered enough to buy a XB for Zenimax games?

2. MJI Silver badge

Will be interesting

But then Sony own the rights to a XB exclusive.

No mention of Arkane though, they do my favourites from Zenimax.

I am currently guessing that they want the games for the games pass rather than to stop supply to other platforms.

From what I have read is that Sony and Microsoft and also to some extent Nintendo see the opposition now as mobile gaming and the new streaming platforms than each other. Owning multiple platforms is common.

Games pass is a market changer, and why the new loudspeaker alike XB is selling so well, often as a second console to PS4 & PS5 first players.

1. MJI Silver badge

Oh dear

Will be some exclusives

https://www.gamesradar.com/bethesda-xbox-exclusivity/?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210309GAM_NWL_Dailies&utm_content=20210309GAM_NWL_Dailies+&utm_term=4781318&M_BT=11431239634389

3. Diogenes8080

Gibbage

"You appear to be firing a rocket launcher. Would you like help with that?"

or

"0x00000080" BFG_HARDWARE_FAILURE

4. ThatOne Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sad

> including the apocalyptic series Fallout, the fantasy-filled Elder Scrolls, and the first-person shooter Doom

Having played and enjoyed all of those (the original ones!), it saddens me that henceforth you'll need to sell your soul to Microsoft ("Xbox Game Pass") to play them.

Fortunately I still have all my old game boxes (remember those?)...

1. RustyNailed

Re: Sad

As with EA Play (formerly Origin Access), pretty much all, if not all, games on XBGP can be bought and paid for outside XBGP. In fact games come and go, much like Netflix content.

You don't need XBGP to buy Microsoft Flight Simulator for example.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice as to whether a subscription is worth having, either for the content or the cost/game time. I currently have one for EA Play (worth it for the games I play there) and one for XBGP for PC which I got to play FS, and which is probably not so good value for me right now. Next year I will ditch EA Play when my subscription expires as by then (hopefully) it will be included in the XBGP as previously announced.

You make your choice, you pay your money. Or you don't.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Sad

> EA Play

Sorry but that's a subscription too. I don't have anything against Xbox (or Microsoft, considering the downvote somebody apparently thought that), I have something against subscriptions. And yes, that includes Netflix.

But do not worry, I'm old and on the way out.

In the meantime I like to own my games, install them and uninstall them as I want, and still play them years or decades later if I feel like it. I don't need new & shiny. Same for my movies, I have hundreds of DVDs, and they're mine. Mine! My precious...

5. heyrick Silver badge

Three billion gamers?

There's only 7.6 billion humans on this lump of rock.

Maybe he doesn't realise that one gamer can own multiple devices?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like