back to article Capgemini awarded towering £600m deal to run London cops' IT infrastructure

Capgemini has won a £600m IT infrastructure deal from the UK's Metropolitan Police to run a service desk, data centres, and services management including the integration of other suppliers. The seven-year contract, which is due to come to an end in 2028, was tendered in November 2019 as a part of a shift in approach to large- …

1. Quiller-Nine

Spelling error...

It's spelled "ruin" not "run"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spelling error...

and also they have spelt Capgemini wrong as well

2. Flywheel
    WTF?

Crims everywhere are delighted!

As per title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crims everywhere are delighted!

I knew gemini were asshoes but the capgemini giy ive worked with takes the cake

3. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Devil

Makes a change

from Crapita...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes a change

Yes, they gave the contract to Le Crapita (well, Le Merdeta) instead.

4. Doogie Howser MD

Pig in a poke

I've seen both monolithic contracts and also the "tower" model, either way, you're never going to get the result you want. The best part of tower arrangements is that the tower owners refuse to speak to each other and/or drag their heels because it might mean them losing money further down the line. Self preservation is the most basic instinct of all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pig in a poke

I agree that neither model really seems to work but the towers model is especially broken.

You end up with situations like the guy in charge of a maintaining a webserver's config file (a non-live one I might add) having to call someone from a different tower every time they make a change because only the other tower holds the necessary privileges to restart the service to pick up said config changes.

Or situations where it takes nearly a whole year to coordinate the installation of two new pairs of fibre uplinks over a distance of just a few metres in the same row of cabinets. One tower to run the cables, another to configure the switches

It all leads to a lot of finger pointing and not much progress.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Pig in a poke

It all leads to a lot of finger pointing and not much progress.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it.

It'll all just end in a lot of Blame Storming...

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Brexit

I've been puzzled by public sector procurement since Brexit.

A certain politician who campaigned for Brexit said on more than one occasion that one of the bad things about the EU was that the British public sector was forced by EU regulations to put out all contracts to tender and must accept tenders from European companies on an equal footing to UK companies. Now it matters not whether you think that this is a good thing or a bad thing what matters is that particular politician made a big point of the fact that Brexit would mean that the public sector could and indeed should buy British.

However since Brexit got done (whatever the hell that little catchphrase meant) there have been loads of huge public contracts awarded to EU based companies. Including contracts made by government departments and I'm told the politician who made those statements about public sector procurement is now something of a big cheese in the government. Can't imagine who it might have been...

6. Korev Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Pass the parcel

If you read the article, it just looks like the Met go from one outsourcing model and group of companies to another every few years. How does anyone get any work done when everything is in a state of continuous flux?

Hopefully these will still work despite the organisational turmoil -->

7. tip pc Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

merry go round

Crap Gemini will assume responsibilities for the other towers in their new enlarged infrastructure tower but they will likely retain the other providers running their internal towers. the biggest change will be that the met have outsourced the responsibilities for managing the individual towers to crap gemini. Any issue with infrastructure crap gemini have to resolve and can't blame another tower as its all their responsibility.

the met should just have the cahoonies to insource the lot again and be responsible for their own systems and save a fortune at the same time. Yes they can be an IT shop as well as a cop shop.

8. Sandstone
    FAIL

God Help Them

The wonderful company of "Patch and Pray."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon