back to article PayPal says developer productivity jumped 30% during the COVID-19 plague

PayPal says it managed to deliver 30 per cent more features than usual during 2020, a year in which its teams worked from home. In a promo interview with developer education outfit HackerRank, PayPal customer success platform veep Guru Bhat said that in late 2019 and early 2020 the company had decided to seek growth by …

1. llaryllama

New features?

One of the brilliant features was a new 3% charge for withdrawing USD as a UK PayPal account holder. Another was non refunding of fees on refunds. Yet another was an increase in stealth currency exchange fees, in some cases up to 4%.

Thanks, PayPal!!

1. juice

Re: New features?

I've not seen any new fees as a "private individual" user, though one friend recently commented that when they issued a refund to someone, they were shocked by the fact that Paypal kept their fees.

And I'm pretty sure that in the past when I've issued a partial/complete refund on a commercial transaction, Paypal refunded the appropriate percentage of their fees, too.

TBH, it's Ebay who are currently earning my ire - though it's related to Paypal, in a way.

They've decided that they're no longer going to let people receive payments directly from Paypal. Instead, the money goes to Ebay, and they then pass it onto you by delivering it straight into your bank account.

However, this process takes several days.

Which means that you have to cover any postage costs out of your own pocket, rather than from the money that the buyer gave you to pay for said postage.

Better yet, they're also deducting listing fees at the point of listing, rather than the point of sale. And this comes out of any money they're currently holding onto.

So, to use a worked example (aka: what actually happened!):

a) Sunday: I listed 9 items. Total listing fees: £4.50

b) Monday: I sold one item for £35, plus a £2.99 postage fee. Total paid by buyer: £37.99

c) Tuesday: I posted the item, having paid £2.70 for postage

d) Thursday: Ebay sent me £27.42

I.e. of the £38 the buyer sent me, I received £27.42. And since I'd spent £2.70 on the postage costs, this means that I actually only received £24.72.

Or to put it another way, Ebay's sliced around a third of the sale value off before passing any money over to me.

Admittedly, £4 of the £9.36 has come from the listing fees for the other, unsold items. But by the same token, that means I'm financially down until/unless those items sell.

And as with Paypal's refund fees, I'm fairly sure that Ebay used to be no sale = no fees. Either way, it certainly wasn't deducted up front!

For an added bonus. it turns out that the buyer was international, and I'm using Ebay's international shipping system. I.e. I post the parcel to some depot in the UK, and Ebay then delivers it to the customer.

As part of this, they charge the customer extra (£12 in this case, I think; I stumbled across the charge at some point during the despatch process, but I'm struggling to see any details from within Ebay)

And it turns out, they've also charged me for the privilege of using this service. £0.91, to be precise.

You could even argue that's fair, and I'd be inclined to agree. But there's no mention of any fees for the use of their international programme when you create the item.

For me, it seems pretty clear that Ebay has decided to focus on commercial, high-turnover traders, who have a continual revenue trickle and can keep things listed until they sell.

Hell, it might even be an attempt to clear down some of the crap on Ebay by forcing people to pay upfront.

And, y'know, that's fine.

But as an individual who's just trying to clear out some relatively low-value items, they've pretty much turned me off ever selling on Ebay again.

2. Torben Mogensen

Meetings

I'm sure the main reason is that developers didn't waste so much time on useless meetings. At zoom meetings, they can code in a another window and only pay attention to the meeting in the 5% of the time something useful is said.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Meetings

How true this is. One has to simply hope nothing useful was said at the meeting.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Seems a reasonable assumption.

2. low_resolution_foxxes

I have lost count of the times I listened in to a 2 hour meeting, to hear my name, pretend the line cut out so they could repeat the question, talk for 15 seconds then continue with my work for another 30 minutes.

3. EarthDog

SO many times I find that I was in the back of the room for 2 hours using my laptop only shifting away when I heard something said about something I was marginally involved with. As I was in a meeting I cold go on DND so my chat was turned off. I actually got quite a bit done

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They can save a bit of money on this. Find out who made the biggest improvements. find out who their managers were. Fire the managers. Bake in the improvements and save on salaries.

4. low_resolution_foxxes

PS why do the Asian areas live QR codes so much?

In the early Monitise days, I vaguely recall a lot of the patents were tied up in NFC/tokenisation, whereas QR codes are just a way of transferring cash directly to the bank account, bypassing the middleman and the card provider completely?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not working from home but living at work

Is it also because there's nothing else people can do but work or go to the supermarket, and everyone is hearing stories about massive redundancies and doesn't want to get fired?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like