back to article Boeing successfully flies unmanned autonomous military 'wingman' aircraft that may become pilot's buddy

Boeing this week successfully completed its first official test flight of its autonomous uncrewed military airplane. Nicknamed the Loyal Wingman, the 38-feet-long aircraft was able to autonomously whiz around the skies of the Australian outback crewless. Having said that, it was under the careful watch of a test pilot in a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope this will be better programmed than the automated buddies you get to help you in video games, who increase the difficulty due to a tendancy for friendly fire and suicide.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nicknamed the Loyal Wingman

In the past, the US has given code names to various projects such as PAVE BLUE, HAVE BLUE etc.

They could have gone with BLUE ON BLUE for this one.

3. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge
    Mushroom

Spot the name

I'd find that a bit itchy with the 'B' word attached.

1. seven of five

Re: Spot the name

This is why they are testing the aerodynamics first.

4. MiguelC Silver badge
    Coat

Oh, it's another airplane

When I read the title I tough they'd made some sort of copilot buddy

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Oh, it's another Airplane

Is the 'buddy' the inflatable? Or the flight attendant?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Shirley you can't be serious....

1. DryBones

I am.

And don't call me Shirley.

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

The "attendant" is still required to maintain inflation.

5. Pete 2 Silver badge

Flying tonite!

> it was under the careful watch of a test pilot in a control station at the Woomera Range Complex

Next stop, placing these under the auspices of a "theatre" AWACS.

The role of the E-3 is to carry out airborne surveillance and command, control and communications (C3) functions for tactical and air defence forces.

Tell me again how the service life of an F35 fighter is expected to be 50 years. At this rate they will be obsolete by 2030

1. UCAP Silver badge

Re: Flying tonite!

The *service* life may be 50 years, but the *technological* life is probably closer to 10-15 years without some form of significant upgrade.

2. fidodogbreath

Tell me again how the service life of an F35 fighter is expected to be 50 years.

That's 50 dog(fight) years.

3. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

The likely plan is that F35 (and anything else that's still flying that can be suitably upgraded and is expected to be around post 2030, so Typhoon, Rafale, F22, possibly Grypen) will be upgraded to operate with a small swarm of these (Given US defence spending: 3 to 5 per manned aeroplane; given UK defence spending: 3 to 5 manned aeroplanes per one of these).

One 'wing man' drone does the dangerous stuff, like using it's radar (and so giving away its position to all and sundry), others then act on the data, launching missiles at identified targets say, (which also increases the risk they are detected). The F35 (or whatever) acts as a 'control node' for their wingmen, passing data between them (if they can't do it themselves), passing data from the wingmen up the chain to the AWACS or to another F35 or to the navy or the army, and receiving data from back down the chain to re-task wingmen. The F35 also puts a man-in-the-loop to exploit opportunities that the wingman doesn't recognise or to stop them wondering off in an unanticipated manner

1. herman

'wondering' - It would be a wonder if they get it to work as hyped.

2. seven of five

So pretty much like P-700 Anti Ship missles of the soviet Navy do since the late 80s: Five go in at sea level, one pops up, scans and tells the others where to go. Should the active one get killed, another one takes the job from a different postion.

6. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Premature

> You might call it a remote-control super-autopilot more than anything else.

Says all. Controlling drones remotely (the "unmanned" part) isn't really new, the "autonomous" part seems to be still missing.

I'd wait with the big public announcements till the day it can take off, follow a leader, do vaguely useful stuff and come back to land, all on its own. (And without crashing or shooting down its own buddies!)

Sounds like marketing suffered premature ejac bragging...

1. herman

Re: Premature

UAVs are usually only autonomous when things go wrong and they return home by their lonesome selves.

2. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Premature

Any of the downvoters able to articulate why they disagree?

7. Chris G

The Wingman sounds quite similar to the Russian Okhotnik which has been undergoing trials since last year.

It's designed to be be both an autonomous attack drone as well as a wingman from what I have read.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think the term Wingman is there simply to make it seem less scary than drone. These harmless little planes will always follow the lead of a trained and responsible pilot. Yeah, right.

Meatware pilots are very expensive and break easily: the US military has been wanting to replace them with something cheaper and more reliable for years.

8. Steve Graham

"a human pilot in the lead"

This human pilot would put the robots up front and keep back at a safe distance.

("Skyborg" is a genius name though.)

1. drand

Re: "a human pilot in the lead"

Now they're on your six, Charlie.

2. jonathan keith
      Terminator

... if by "genius" you mean "fucking terrifying".

1. seven of five

Well, it IS supposed to become state-of-the-art killtech, they possibly can't call it "fairy glitter unicorn princess"

I mean, they *could*, and it would add embarrassment damage to the burning wreckages of their opponents as well, but... it... somehow... might be ... .hard to sell.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
          Pirate

I agree with Jonathan. Fucking terrifying. Fairy Unicorn Companion Kit has a much nicer ring to it.

Terrifying. As if walking killbots aren't bad enough, let's teach them to fly. That sounds like a great idea.

1. seven of five

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
              Terminator

Something something something Skynet something something achieved sentience * jazz hands*

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> achieved sentience

You don't need sentience to kill people. As most perpetrators duly prove.

3. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

> ("Skyborg" is a genius name though.)

Where is Jean-Luc when you need him?

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Slowly but surely

The shape of the battlefield of the future is changing. What will we end up with ? One human pilot and three drones for wingmen ? Will the squadron be counting human assets and dozens more drone assets ?

And what of communication security ? All of this has to be encrypted, otherwise the enemy could hack into the drone's comm channel and give it orders. I'm sure they have given that thought.

So the real question is : when will they remove the human element entirely ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: when will they remove the human element entirely ?

What "human" element? We're all lizard people here. Frankly, I'm surprised there are any of you lot left.

2. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

Re: Slowly but surely

Once Tom Cruise retires, that's it.

3. herman

The battlefield of the future is actually very low tech https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_314_Super_Tucano

The fancy planes will likely never be used in anger.

4. jdiebdhidbsusbvwbsidnsoskebid Silver badge

"So the real question is : when will they remove the human element entirely ?"

Answer: when the Law [Of Armed Conflict] lets them. The only thing preventing autonomous deployments is the requirement to always have a human in the loop, or responsible for certain actions. Same reason why we haven't yet got autonomous cars roaming the roads freely.

Which isn't to say that the technology is perfect, it isn't, yet. But the tech will get there before the regulations permit it.

1. Rustbucket

Air borne missiles are already largely autonomous after launch, especially long range anti-ship missiles.

5. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

> So the real question is : when will they remove the human element entirely ?

When the Skyborg decide it is time.

10. Steve K

Tokio

They need to download MAME get some ideas from the 1980's arcade game "Tokio"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giv3PQb6LT8

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Robot Overlords - prerelease alpha version

It's only a matter of time before wars become totally automated with any humans 'in the loop' becoming further and further away from the front lines.

The only hopeful aspect of this announcement is that it's Boeing working on this.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Robot Overlords - prerelease alpha version

"... with any humans 'in the loop' becoming further and further away from the front lines"

The humans in the battle zones will merely be "collateral damage", but they'll be there - the civilian population.

This will be the case even in the most abstracted scenario - a war conducted entirely by computers - there will be casualties (see Star Trek episode A Taste of Armageddon). That's the difference between a video game and real conflict.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Robot Overlords - prerelease alpha version

> The humans in the battle zones will merely be "collateral damage", but they'll be there

He's talking about the humans who matter.

Nobody cares if you wipe some civilians, there is plenty of them around and they serve no useful purpose, quite the contrary.

12. JDPower Bronze badge

"Boeing successfully flies..."

Well there's 3 words you don't often see together lmao

13. very angry man

tin man

I remember a movie about this, cant remember the name? what do they call future documentaries,??

14. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Mushroom

RAAF - Dump and Burn

When the RAAF used to display their F-111s at air shows, the pilots used to do fuel dump and burns by lighting the afterburners and then dumping fuel.

In anticipation of future air show participation, have the Aussies asked Boeing to facilitate the same? In the absence of afterburners, they can add fit a suitable ignitor...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raaf+f-111+dump&tbm=isch

1. JDPower Bronze badge

Re: RAAF - Dump and Burn

It's made by Boeing, there's every chance you'll see them in flames of some sort.

15. Chairman of the Bored

I thought...

...the purpose of a wingman was to run interference for me in the bar. How does this work if it's unmanned?

16. Neoc

<sigh>

Don't these people ever learn from "history"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_(film)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like