back to article 9 years after SpaceX strode into Texas village, Elon Musk floats name change for Boca Chica: 'Starbase'

Cryptocurrency enthusiast Elon Musk has attracted scorn after floating the idea of changing the name of Boca Chica, Texas, to "Starbase." The village, established in the late 1960s, and formerly known as Kopernik Shores, is the south Texas launch site of Musk's private space exploration company, SpaceX. The firm first …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Starship Graveyard is perhaps a more apt name to date.

1. John Robson Silver badge

It's almost as if testing is a forgotten art.

Looks at Boeing, Microsoft, Apple.... Yep, it's a forgotten art.

2. oiseau
      Stop

Unfair

I think it's unfair to be so harsh on the chap.

You forget that the things he/his outfit is doing today were, a mere five years ago, the type of thing you would only see in sci-fi flics.

Now we take them for granted and boo/hiss if things go awry.

Tsk, tsk ...

O.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfair

I'm neither booing nor hissing. It was just a comedic remark.

That said... I wish Tesla would stop farming out the design of their cars to the Boring Company. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Tesla Model 3 and Y panel gaps?

Mine was a total disaster. Sent it back and got my money back. Total crap. If his rockets are built anything like as badly then there is no hope.

Now, I'm waiting for a Mach-E

3. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Nice to see SN10 didn't let me down. :)

2. WonkoTheSane
    Mushroom

Wenhop

"The next prototype, Starship SN10, could take flight as soon as today"

The attempt to not crash SN10 is indeed scheduled for today (Wednesday March 3rd 2021), between 9am & 6pm local time (3pm to midnight UK time)

It can be watched here:- NasaSpaceflight on Youtube (Not an official NASA channel).

Icon chosen for obvious reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The attempt to not crash SN10 ...

That reminds me, I really should get back to playing KSP :-)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Wenhop

The launch was scrubbed but might ahead at about 10:40pm UK time.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Latest from the commentary here is an 11:30pm UK time launch now.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Timbo

"Icon chosen for obvious reasons."

The icon was well chosen as despite a "bang on the button" landing, about 8 minutes later it did go "Boom" - seems it might have had too heavy a landing and an internal fire ruptured something and some propellant leaked causing an RUD.

But the data they collected should be fine for SN11...as long as they can slow it down a bit more on landing !

3. Dr Who

You've got to Marvel at him

Starship, Starbase. Henceforth Elon shall be known as Starlord and all shall bow before him.

1. Jay 2
      Happy

Re: You've got to Marvel at him

<GOTG>Who?</GOTG>

4. /tmp
    Coat

Kaboomtown?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RUDVille?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

BocaBoom Chica

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

Starbase, Texas

Seeing as his Texas move seems to be primarily motivated by a desire to avoid regulation and government interference, no doubt in a few years time you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Starbase, Texas

primarily motivated by a desire to avoid regulation and government interference personal state income tax

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Texas

Oh yeah... The state where Elon is spending big but you can't buy a Tesla. You have to buy it out of state. The Autodealers have bought a law to stop Tesla.

You gotta love the USA. Home of Sue, Sue, Sue and Sue Lawyers.

Re: Texas

"You gotta love the USA. Home of Sue, Sue, Sue and Sue Lawyers."

Were they all boys named Sue?

2. Totally not a Cylon

Re: Starbase, Texas

So, you're suggesting he call it: Mos Eisley....

6. John70

With multiple Starships will he rebrand to Starfleet?

1. Phones Sheridan Silver badge
      Go

Where's the floating head of Brian May when you need it!

"With multiple Starships will he rebrand to Starfleet?"

If he does, I can't wait for his next 2 constructions... X-Bomber and Dai-X. Oh Yes!

7. Quentin North
    Alien

Mo' power!

Texas: the land of the the free and the independently power hungry. Be a shame if there was a power cut around launch time.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Boomtown sounds fine to me

On the other hand, I have a bit of a problem understanding what the state has to do with the naming of an industrial location. For the state, what is important is the address and the size. Musk can rename it every day if he wants, I don't see that that has any impact on the state.

1. Chris G

Re: Boomtown sounds fine to me

It is actually an unincorporated village (whatever that means) of about 40 houses, Musk is trying to buy out the village and may eventually get the County to use Eminent Domain to compulsorily purchase the houses out from under the residents.

Here is an interesting article about it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/02/space-x-texas-village-boca-chica/606382/

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Well, among other things, it's a village with people living in it. Maybe, since he doesn't live there and they do, they should be the ones choosing the name. The relevant laws seem to have various requirements that make this harder. Described here, they have restrictions on how many people must be present to incorporate (looks like you need at least 600). If it needs to be big enough to hold the launch facility, they will need more as the population limit goes up depending how much space you're going to include. Then, you need those people to vote in favor of the incorporation including the name and governance structure.

I'm sure Musk and Spacex would really love to own their own city where they can set any local laws they want, but it's not as simple as that since they have to deal with all the people living there and they actually have to have people living there to do it. If they think they can get all their employees to move somewhere and vote in favor, that could work, but otherwise they're going to have to actually convince people to go along with it. I'm seeing little in it for anyone who doesn't run Spacex.

Creating housing for employees and in effect building a "company town" is something the US has form for.

9. Blackjack Silver badge

Of course

He can't have a Boca Chica, everyone knows he is a Big Mouth.

10. AdmFubar
    Facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6jrwzYGUoA

11. seven of five

Ah, the two Musks again.

There is a thin line between genius and madman. Unfortunetaly, it is not a fence.

I mean, he really does get shit moving. And then, sometimes, far too often to be comfortable, he just is... the other Musk. The Paedo Guy one...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Ah, the two Musks again.

Hugo Drax

12. Kurgan

Mos Eisley

Well at least give it the name of the most famous sci-fi spaceport: Mos Eisley

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a rose by any other...

Starbase? That's a corny name.

"Starbase Alpha", now you're talking!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like