back to article Jailbreaking app gets update to support iOS 14.3 and iPhone 12

Fed up with Apple’s walled garden? Fancy running some unauthorised code on your shiny new iPhone? Unafraid of major security risks? The team behind iOS jailbreaking tool unc0ver just released version 6.0.0, bringing with it support for iOS versions 11 to 14.3. Launched in the early hours of Sunday morning, the latest version …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Hacker

Since when did El Reg become El Hacker, covering such unscrupulous activity?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: El Hacker

It reports technology news, and this is news about technology.* QED. Also: in exactly what way is jailbreaking a phone unscrupulous? What moral principle is it violating? In what way is it dishonest or unfair? Please do tell.

(*And to answer your question: since forever.)

2. Confuciousmobil

Fuzzier?

The legality of jailbreaking is not “fuzzier” in the UK. It is not, and never has been illegal.

I topped doing it many years ago as I find no need these days, but when the USA specifically said it was legal I wrote to my MP who confirmed there was no need for such a law in the UK as it was never illegal in the UK.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

I’m just thinking if I were the NSA, or GCHQ, or their Russian or Chinese counterparts, how would I break into lots of phones? By leaning on someone who creates a jailbreak, making them an offer they can’t refuse, and let the punters install my exploit software themselves!

1. AIBailey

To be fair, I expect that the percentage of people that regularly jailbreak Apple devices is barely a blip on the radar for Apple.

Whilst your suggestion would/could result in several TLA's (or FLA's in the case of the UK) getting access to some i-devices, I don't think in the grand scheme it would be many.

4. Kevin Fairhurst

Once upon a time...

I would have been all over this... back when iPhones were locked to O2, jailbreaking was the way to use them on other networks... and then there were better apps for customising how your phone looked, improved functionality...

Eventually Apple caught up and now there's nothing available that warrants jailbreaking, IMO.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. pxd

Re: Once upon a time...

KF wrote: "Eventually Apple caught up and now there's nothing available that warrants jailbreaking, IMO."

As far as I can tell, Apple still won't provide an official app that will tell me what Wi-Fi signals are present, on which channels, and in what strength, around my house. I use an old iPhone 5, broken years ago, to run an app that does just this. pxd

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like