back to article Singapore reveals open-source blockchain COVID-test result tracker, eyes uses as vaccine passport app

Singapore has proposed a blockchain-based document verification system developed by its GovTech agency to provide proof of recent negative COVID-19 tests, and hopes it becomes used to offer proof of vaccination status around the world. Named "HealthCerts", the system is based on open-source framework known as OpenAttestation …

1. Tony W

"such vaccination passports" ?

What is this to do with vaccination? The story seems to be about negative PR tests.

2. Dr Scrum Master
    Big Brother

EZ Link

It's then one small conceptual step to installing the QR code scanners at the MRT barriers and on the buses, and then a negative test will be required for access to mass transit.

After all, it's not as if there's been scope creep with COVID tracking in Singapore...

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Two words

Get Fucked

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two words

Looks like we most certainly will.

4. Sgt_Oddball
    Windows

Why do I....

Feel like this is some PFY's idea on how to get a sweet, sweet gaming rig graphics workstation on the governments dime?

Cynical? Me? Never.......

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"the technology is secure, private and tamper-proof"

Sure. We'll see how long that lasts.

Mine's the one with the tamper-proof brick in the pocket.

6. Starace
    Devil

Why blockchain?

As with many things it's a solution, then again you can achieve the same result much more easily in other ways - it's just a reference number lookup after all.

Most applications of blockchain are just an excuse to apply it but beyond the techno wankery are difficult to justify.

I guess it generates an easy story but it's still a solution searching for a problem.

1. garretmh

Re: Why blockchain?

My best guess is that they’re hoping that it will help with international adoption. In theory this can act as a single global platform that any country can interface with without having to trust any other participants.

I’m not convinced that will work or that it’s an optimal solution, but I do think it’s a novel use of blockchain tech rather than a buzzword inclusion.

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: Why blockchain?

Awesome, so we can waste terawatts of power on a blockchain solution when there are plenty of other ways to do this. Just because blockchain is the current funky go-to technology doesn't mean it is the best tool to do the job.

One would hope that it would not be as bad as the crypto currencies as there is no need to "mine" but blockchain is a solution looking for a problem.

7. Anonymous Coward

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like