back to article India dangles billion-dollar incentive scheme for server, PC makers willing to open up shop on the sub-continent

India has added servers, laptops, tablets, and all-in-one PCs to the list of kit it is willing to pay to have made on its soil. The nation’s cabinet yesterday announced a new production-linked incentive scheme worth just over $US1bn, to be doled out at a rate of between four and one percent to manufacturers that make their kit …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

IBM

If IBM were to enter the sector again...

India Built Machines

2. MrReynolds2U

Referencing the Texas pitch, big technology has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering.

LG I'm looking at you. Promising 6000+ jobs in Newport when I were a child and never delivering. Only opening part of the proposed infrastructure, then repeatedly reducing staffing until they finally shut-up shop in 2006.

I would be very sceptical when examining exactly what they want for their tax-breaks. India should approach any offers with a similar scepticism but having the pleasure of experiencing Indian commerce in person, I doubt they'll be quite as naïve as the UK government was about LG.

1. Shadow Systems

I agree.

Tax breaks are fine, but they should be legally required to not get them until AFTER the promised bits have been confirmed to be as promised by independant sources.

$Company promises $X jobs? Verify those jobs are of the kind promised (and not just janitors or window washers) before any refunds are paid out. Didn't reach the promised bits? Then no refund for you.

If the companies have to deliver before getting refunded by the tax break amount promised, then the company can't just up sticks & make off with our money while never delivering.

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Like most things they have become consumer products that can be made anywhere. Vietnam was a Commie backwater until recently.

I’m sure if they could they would make in ‘African shitholes’ like South Sudan, DR Congo etc if they could get away with it... as they would be even ‘race to the bottom’ cheaper than either India, hopeful Pakistan and Vietnam.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Trollface

I am hoping that Britain will get some manufacturing and services that were offshored back soon - labour costs should become cheaper with the lack of jobs and blowing away of employee rights

Note; icon

3. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

They should take that money and invest it in actually having a rule of law. No company in their right mind would go work in India currently. Tell a joke that even one person doesn't like, and that's jail for you. Worse, the culture of large groups of men with sticks beating men to death and raping women for alleged offence caused means that sending skilled (or any!) staff over is incredibly unwise.

See https://time.com/5938047/munawar-iqbal-faruqui-comedian-india/ for instance, from just a few days ago. Would you move there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like