back to article Federal Reserve falls over in massive hours-long tech outage, knocks down US inter-bank transfer system

The US Federal Reserve's money-transfer systems failed on Wednesday for a number of hours, likely halting the electronic movement of billions of dollars. Just before 1300 EST, the Fed noted it was “currently investigating a possible issue or disruption to multiple services,” and promised quick updates. The IT outage at the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prolly the Russians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Operational error?

Makes me think of innumerable Who Me? articles.

Or Stephen Stucker in Airplane!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/ba/Stephen_Stucker.jpg/330px-Stephen_Stucker.jpg

3. chuckufarley Silver badge

This is just a friendly reminder...

...That it is often a Good Thing to keep a simple script called cya.sh that contains the following line:

hostname && whoami && pwd

I am not saying the lack of such a script has anything to do the outage detailed in this news article. This is just a friendly reminder.

1. James Anderson

Re: This is just a friendly reminder...

I go one further and use different terminal colour schemes for different systems.

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

So advanced... It's simple!

Yeah, I am plagurized that from an old tv commercial, forgot which one.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I redirect the cd command to update my command prompt with that information.

[root:/bin/dangerous] rm -f .....

4. fidodogbreath

Total Inability To Support Usury Processes

5. MrReynolds2U
    Trollface

Weren't they experimenting with AWS? Please, please, please tell me this is a cloud issue :)

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

it was probably linked to something farther out, like a solar wind...

unless of course someone forgot to remove the Texan servers from the clusters...

6. tip pc Silver badge

Name & Shame

Who is their IT outsourced to, or more specifically, which outsourced team is responsible for the bit that broke?

7. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Holmes

Crazy idea

If only there was some sort of decentralized electronic currency we could use instead. It could be built using a blockchain and cryptography. Someone should invent that, then we won't have to worry about the Feds computers going down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crazy idea

Naah. That could never work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like