back to article Microsoft spearheads a whole new genre with installation on the side of a Lyon tunnel

While a number of factors may be preventing the average tourist from enjoying European travels, bork appears to know no borders. Today's example started out as an art installation projected onto the walls of the Tunnel de la Croix Rousse beneath the streets of the French city of Lyon. The borkage has been gracing the tunnel …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Was Windows Lyon down?

1. Roger Greenwood

Do they call it le sacre bleu moniteur de mort?

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

No, we call it "Cette saloperie de Windows a encore planté et ça commence à me les briser menu!"

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Thought i'd give google translate a try for the (my) first time:

That bastard of Windows has crashed again and it's starting to break them down!

is that accurate? wheres the menu?

1. Hol314

Would fail Turing...

Last time I checked, DeepL would give much better/more natural translations that Google translate, though in this instance it's not really accurate either "That damn Windows crap has crashed again and it's starting to break them for me!": "them" is meant for "bollocks" and "menu" would be "finely", or some other culinary metaphor perhaps...

2. Anomalous Cowshed

No, "that utter pile of dreck has crashed again and it's starting to bust my balls".

2. TRT Silver badge

My French is pretty poor...

When visiting Paris once, with my at the time pregnant girlfriend, I crammed a few extra handy phrases that may be relevant should, for example, medical attention be required for some catastrophe or other. Schoolboy French, at least that taught when I was little, doesn't usually include the vocabulary required to construct phrases such as "She's pregnant!" and "we're having a baby"... nowadays, I dunno... might be standard in some parts of the country pre- the traditional class trip to France.

Anyway, I became fascinated by a sticker on the Metro...

"Il est interdit pour introducer les animaux dans l'enceinte du system metropolitan"... or something along those lines.

My attempt at translation was "It's forbidden to introduce animals into the pregnancy of the tube network."

I mean... WHAT? I know Parisians have a reputation for loving little yappy dogs and that, but do they REALLY have such a problem with dogs shagging on the platforms that they have to put up a sign about it?

Turns out "enceinte" would have been better translated as "confinement", which at one point in the distant history of English was a euphemism for the later stages of pregnancy.

I half expected some gendarme to sneak up behind me and pull something akin to "People called 'Romanes' they go the house?"

1. Falmari Silver badge
            Joke

Re: My French is pretty poor...

I understand that Schoolboy French would not include vocabulary "She's pregnant!" but surely Schoolboy French would cover "She's got a bun in the oven!" :)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Maybe they meant introducing anumals in speaker enclosure. That would be cruel too.

1. TRT Silver badge

You mean no woofers?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
            Headmaster

I can explain

Une enceinte can relate to three things : a HiFi speaker, a place clearly delimited, or a pregnant being.

It's all about context. I admit it can get a bit confusing. See if you can guess these sentences below :

Cette enceinte ne fonctionne plus

Il est interdit de fumer dans l'enceinte de l'école

A cette caisse les femmes enceintes sont prioritaires

4. Daedalus

It gets better. I think it's in Italian where "embarrassed" is used as a euphemism for "pregnant". Possibly French and/or Spanish too.

3. Anomalous Cowshed

That's rather mild. I once worked in an office in Paris where all the young trendies used to say: "Hé, mon ordinateur a craché !" For a while I thought this was a unique property of French computers.

2. Adrian 4

security updates

It's rare for a venue to have usable internet. As a result, installations are very often standalone by necessity, and security updates aren't particularly relevant.

1. Daedalus

Re: security updates

Always remembering Rule 1 of any kind of presentation: Never rely on the network.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

"Microsoft's internationalisation efforts"

Still needs some work, IMO.

My Windows is installed with location = France, language = English, keyboard = French.

Guess what the default install laguage is when I install new software ? French, obviously.

The fact that I specified English as my interface language apparently has no bearing on the fact that two out of three of those parameters say French, so the intern who did the code obviously decided to average out the answers to chose what language to use.

Yeah but language = English. You don't need to be an engineer to know which language to use !

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: "Microsoft's internationalisation efforts"

Not that it helps, but installation defaults (in Windows, or should we call it "Fenêtres"? :) ) have always been location based. Stupid? Yes. But consistent.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

only recently has it been able to figure out the correct location as a default,

and even more blindingly obviously it now manages to surmise that you might want your keyboard layout in the laguage of the country you're in , rather than American

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I have German as one of my Windows input languages (not the default), and occasionally an application will insist that it's the only language it wants to run in. Annoying.

3. Falmari Silver badge

@Pascal Monett. That's not the fault of Microsoft when new software does not install using the language that Windows is using unless the new software is from Microsoft.

That is down to the installer of the software getting it wrong.

Having written many installers for Windows I know having made that mistake myself.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Thumb Up

I'll pay attention to that the next time I install Office.

Meanwhile, somebody needs to tell LibreOffice that they goofed up then.

1. Falmari Silver badge

That does surprise me with LibreOffice I wonder what they are using to script the install. I use InstallShield or WiX to script the Windows installer (MSI).

I am surprised that the first install does not ask which language the user wants to install. That’s what I do for our software now rather than check the language which may not be a language variant we support.

For example, the language is Russian, and we don’t localise for that or the language is French-Canadian, but we only Localise to French France. It is always best on the first install to first ask what language they want; the installer will then guide them through in the chosen language and install that language variant. After that upgrades both major or minor will then always install that language.

1. Falmari Silver badge

By the way it does not have to be the installer that decides what language will be run. The program sets the language environment it is going run in. Normally it will check a registry entry that the installer set but it does not have to.

Years ago, I had a program that installed in the OS language and ran in that language but if you changed the OS language setting and then run it, it would now be in that language. So, install on German change language to English now runs in English or French runs in French 7 different supported languages.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On a related subject...

Is having artwork on the side of a road where vehicles are doing a reasonable speed not far from a solid concrete wall really a good idea when you want to avoid driver distraction?

Re: On a related subject...

Um, it's the Underground.

There aren't many drivers to worry about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Besides, it's not the tunnel walls that are deadly but the support pillars in the middle.

Too soon?

2. Lazlo Woodbine

Actually the Tunnel de la Croix-Rousse is a pair of tunnels, one is a road tunnel, the other is defined as sustainable transport, so buses, bikes and pedestrians...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

boom! you been served Pascal!

Looks like I have :)

2. Hol314

Sustainable transports, hence the diesel buses...

3. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

And the northern one (pedestrians, cycles and buses) is often used for some exhibitions, like a few years back the biggest cheese plate in the world (before Nancy made a bigger one on the Place Stanislas)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

5. GrumpenKraut
    Pirate

NULL pointer de-referenced, right?

Here be text.

1. Precordial thump Silver badge

There goes this year's Eurovision Song Contest

If dereferencing null points throws an exception...

6. cantankerous swineherd

if (ptr == 0)

cliquez (sur, OK);

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Is it art?

Well it's certainly not a sodding pipe, so maybe.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Is it art?

The underground railway formerly (and currently) known as Le Metro?

8. Potemkine! Silver badge

Accessing a null pointer

Looks like a bad developed application to me.

9. TRT Silver badge

Surely...

The Bill Gates artwork equivalent to Emin's "My Bed" should be "My Bad!"?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Surely...

"What a mistake-a to make-a!"

Why, yes I am working my way through the entirety of 'allo 'allo thanks to lockdown.

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

0x12345678

This could actually be very positive for Windows.

How many errors, like the hypothetical one above, are dissected and diagnosed on an endless stream of websites served up by google?

Just feed them to the Art community and they can provide us with the hidden meanings behind them, allowing you to debug even the most obscure errors for you. I call that a Win Win result.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: 0x12345678

I’m firmly of the belief that these windows errors websites only ever tell you to download a new driver version from the following link to a site hosted in a .ro domain and to accept all the privilege elevation requests whilst installing it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like