back to article The iPhone 12 captured our attention and wallets, says new report from Gartner

The launch of the iPhone 12 massively distorted the smartphone market in Q4 2020 with the new 5G-capable mobes sucking oxygen from rival Samsung. Gartner stats show sales of iPhones to end users grew 15 per cent in Q4 2020 compared to the previous year, with Apple shifting nearly 80 million units. Apple's quarterly market …

1. GiantKiwi

Gartner is pure speculative data

Why are you basing this data as factual?

Gartner predominantly speculate, not give cold, hard fact.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Trollface

Could be worse.

Could have been Bloomberg.

2. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Surprised, but only somewhat

Assuming this is true, since there are effectively only 2 mobile platforms, Android and iOS, and you can only get Apple gear from one manufacturer, it's amazing that Samsung held the top spot this long.

As an Android user, I like the look and feel of the 12, as well as what's under the hood. Finally another device from Apple that actually fits in your hand without needing a case. It has tempted me to go to the dark side more than any other device from Apple. But it still runs iOS, which for me is still a deal breaker. YMMV.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Surprised, but only somewhat

Also from the write up, it would seem that Gartner had not fully taken into account the US sanctions against Huawei and the % market share distortions this was introducing into the marketplace. Plus we shouldn't forget about the effects of the "5G" pixie dust.

Not saying the iPhone 12 wasn't a good product, but there is alot more to this than Apple good, Samsung bad.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Surprised, but only somewhat

The I-Phone 12 was also a heavily touted "supercycle" update for users who'd held off from some of the poor decisions in the 10 and 11. And, no doubt in the US, there were some people wondering what to do with their governement cheques.

All great phones, but are not reaching the point of peak utility? Obviously not if people are still prepared to hand over so much for a beautifully packaged computer they hardly ever use.

3. anonymousI
    Headmaster

According to Gartner, Apple and Samsung swapped 1st & 2nd positions in the last quarter - which is hardly a case of Samsung "plummeting" down the order.

Maybe a bit less of the tabloid-talk here, please?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like