back to article Ghost of Microsoft's Legacy Edge browser will linger as the default on Surface Hubs after April execution for desktops

Microsoft is almost as keen to kill off Legacy Edge, Windows 10's original great browser hope, as it is to stomp on the ancient Internet Explorer – because it looks like it'll be sticking around on the Surface Hub. Ostensibly a celebration of the fact that the Windows 10 Team 2020 update would finally go worldwide (for Surface …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legacy browser, on a legacy OS, on a legacy tablet? Both of those customers need to be upgraded!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many things might be said about the Surface Hub, but calling it a “tablet” is a bit much I feel.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

As far as I'm concerned, they can take all versions of IE and Edge – legacy or no – and stick them up their collective arse. Sure – keep the "component" (or whatever it's called) for rendering things in the OS itself or MS-based applications I might choose to install, but I get to choose what browsers I have installed on my system, and they have no right to non-consensually deep-throat me with any of them. #IEToo #MyHardwareMyChoice

1. beep54
      Devil

While I have 'removed' IE on my computer and hacked the registry to make Edge not load at start up, I still find that both of these still collect (generate?) bits of info that needs to be cleaned. I never use either. The best thing to do for both of them would be to remove them from Windows completely with the option of installing Edge if you are feeling particularly stupid that day.

3. Morten Bjoernsvik

We now have Chromium Edge on linux

A year ago my team changed their frontends, making Firefoxs geckodriver crash or not picking up code when using psedoelements in selenium. So we were stuck with Chrome. But 6months ago Chromium Edge was annonced for linux, so we atleast have 2 options. the MSEdgedriver was crappy to begin with (until v80 it was all chromedriver) but now our code works fine there aswell. I use 3 microsoft products on linux: Visual Studio Code, ChromeEdge and MS SQL server, they are all good.

4. J27

I'm more concerned about the lack of action to irradicate IE. At this point opening IE should just immediately redirect you to Edge Chromium. The "compatibility tab" should be the only way to render IE pages.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like