back to article Hero to Jezero: Perseverance, NASA's most advanced geologist rover, lands on Mars, beams back first pics

NASA just now successfully landed Perseverance, its largest and heaviest rover yet, on the surface of Mars in the Jezero Crater. The machine will conduct the ambitious mission to finding ancient microbial life on another planet. "Touchdown confirmed. Perseverance has touched down on Mars," Swati Mohan, Navigation and Control …

1. Just A Quick Comment
    Thumb Up

They've done it again!

Congratulations to the NASA team responsible for this.

In these troubled times any good news is most welcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: They've done it again!

Pints all around.

But for anyone looking at the picture and thinking it's poor, it was taken through a hole in the lens cap which protects the camera during landing. NASA is checking out Perseverance and will only fully deploy it after that is completed.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: They've done it again!

Not really a hole as such, its glass. But yes, it's a low-res thumbnail image taken through a field of view limiting protective transparent lens cap, not the full resolution that can be expected from the hazard cameras in future.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

Let's just hope

It doesn't get eaten by a sandworm, or that Tweel doesn't land on it by mistake!

These all round for the engineers -->

3. Zebo-the-Fat
    Pint

Well done!

Good work, congratulations to everyone involved, a very impressive effort

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

Repulsive!

This is just the kind of wasteful, pork barrel expenditure that all right-thinking people should oppose! The government shouldn't pick winners and should instead leave scientific endeavors to private industry, which will be sure to advance the cause of pure science with much greater speed and efficiency!

1. Palpy
      Devil

Re: Repulsive!

Oh, well said, well said! Er, well written. Well played. Well, well. Whatever.

But of course we should not be exploring anything extraterrestrial at all until Holy Capitalism has finished its subjugation of Earth, put all peons in chains, and convinced consumers that Egyptian cotton is edible when covered in chocolate.*

It was unrighteous feats such as this which got Galileo in hot water with God, ya know.

------

* Catch-22. Milo Minderbinder. Etc.

2. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

/s

3. DaveFlagAndTenDigits

Judging by the downvotes, there's a lotta people don't get sarcasm.

1. My-Handle

Yeah, my first reaction was "What!? WTF dude?". Then I saw the Troll icon.

For the record, I didn't downvote :)

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Quite so, DaveFlagAndTenDigits and My_Handle. Some/So many are far too quick to judge and jump to erroneous conclusions.

The following is a novel development which, with regard to the discussion of the pork being expended on a seriously speculative adventure reported on here, is certainly encouraging and some would say, not before time and long overdue. I look forward to the result of what must surely be grants awarded for developing ideas rather than interest free loans issued for later principal repayment ......... ARIA .... DARPA UKGBNI

That's the one sure way to guarantee future successful results. However, what's the betting on the system doing their best to fcuk that up with an intellectually bankrupt and politically incorrect attempt at lead, although the Telegraph article does say, right at the beginning .......

The £800m Advanced Research and Invention Agency (ARIA) will be led by scientists who will be given freedom to identify and fund transformational science and technology projects.

...... which if true, would be somewhat different and laudable and give success every chance of rapid progress in smarter programs and SMARTR Projects .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          Black Helicopters

Non-paywalled links to ARIA news:

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-launch-new-research-agency-to-support-high-risk-high-reward-science>

<https://news.sky.com/story/licence-to-fail-800m-for-new-scientific-agency-that-will-focus-on-high-risk-high-reward-projects-12222158>

<https://universitybusiness.co.uk/government-launches-advanced-research-invention-agency-aria-to-support-high-risk-high-reward-science>

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Judging by the down votes, it should be obvious that sarcasm is a very poor tool for humour when used in text format as a comment on an internet post. Especially when it's not written in a way that makes it crystal clear that it's not really what the author thinks.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is CRYSTAL-CLEAR in the overall context. Look around. This is not the Guardian, or the Daily Mail. This is The Register. This is the Way :)

1. teknopaul

I still find it wierd that some people can't see the funny side of late term abortion without a smiley.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Sarcasm is a risky post anywhere - sarcasm used to be seen as funny until it became a political standard for many people. I think the problem is that these days we read things and always see the bad side first. As a kid I love ghost stories, but these days it's just a dead white guy walking around with his head in his arms.

1. Old Used Programmer

Not a song about a dead white woman with 'er 'ead tucked underneath 'er arm?

3. Mark192

"Especially when it's not written in a way that makes it crystal clear that it's not really what the author thinks."

That *was* crystal clear sarcasm!

(that said, I always tag mine because autism).

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, I just HAD TO downvote your hurtful, malicious, offensive, disrespectful, and TOTALLY irrelevant comment :D

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Why are we landing on Mars anyway? We can make the bars here on Earth !

5. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Pint

Congratulations

To NASA for a successful landing. Well done. Have a drink.

6. Duncan Macdonald
    Alien

Life on Mars

Recent research indicates that the Martian magnetic field was still active 3.7 billion years ago. As the atmospheric loss due to the solar wind would not have occurred until this field collapsed, Mars would still have had an atmosphere up to that time.

Earth has had life since 4.5 billion years ago. During the overlap between life appearing on Earth and the loss of atmosphere on Mars, Earth was hit many times by meteorites big enough to cause the ejection of rocks from Earth. At least some of those rocks would have had bacteria on them that could survive the trip from Earth to Mars.

Given the above, I would think it very likely that Mars had life at one time.

The interesting question (but very difficult to determine the correct answer to) is did life start on Earth then infect Mars or did life start on Mars and then infect Earth ?

This icon seems appropriate =======================>

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: Life on Mars

The Solar System is 4.5 billion years old. The universe is 13 bn yrs, the galaxy 12 bn yrs. It is possible to imagine that life arose elsewhere in the galaxy 8 bn yrs ago. Ejected rocks carrying bacteria could move around the galaxy at, say, 20 miles per second, or c/10,000. In 1 bn yrs they would then travel 100,000 light years, the diameter of the galaxy.

So life starting at one point in the galaxy could spread all over. It would not have time, however, to reach the Andromeda galaxy.

This is, of course, the old panspermia hypothesis. Maybe one day we shall be able to test it.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

Panspermia is interesting, but I think the more likely case is that [like planets around stars] it is more plentiful in the universe than not. Life exists on earth in even the most hostile places, "finds a way" to continue existing. Perhaps the rest of the universe is the same way...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm a bit skeptical about probability of such life-carrying rock ejected into space would have been so common as to hit Mars.

1. Cynic_999

And even if it did, surely the heat caused as it went through the (then) substantial Martian atmosphere would have rendered it sterile?

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> heat caused as it went through the (then) substantial Martian atmosphere would have rendered it sterile?

That's what I thought too, but apparently it is possible. I don't remember the details, but the gist was that while obviously a living organism would had been killed, the building blocks for life can survive the quite ungentle transfer.

On arrival, if there is the necessary solvent (water) and the right temperature ranges, they can assemble into something which can assemble into the most primitive structure one could call "alive". And from there on evolve to invent Facebook.

1. Cynic_999

"

On arrival, if there is the necessary solvent (water) and the right temperature ranges, they can assemble into something which can assemble into the most primitive structure one could call "alive".

"

That is indeed a popular theory. Except that all attempts to simulate such a thing in the laboratory has not once succeeded. If many thousands of *deliberate* attempts to create life have failed, the probability that it would happen *in this way* by pure chance is extremely remote. Events such as meteors from Earth hitting the surface of Mars before completely burning up in the atmosphere are *extremely* infrequent, so we are not talking about huge numbers of such events even over timespans of tens of millions of years.

1. JassMan
              Trollface

Re: Life on Mars @cynic_999

I think you have forgotten the infinite number of monkeys. Any deliberate attempt to create life 'thousands of times' has nothing on billions of years of nature having billions of attempts in billions of combinations of environment. Life and evolution is definitely a numbers game.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Boffin

Yes, a few thousand attempts over a few tens of years. Compare that with the entire extent of the oceans and land surface of Earth and a billion years or so.

2. HelpfulJohn

"... surely the heat caused as it went through the (then) substantial Martian atmosphere would have rendered it sterile?"

Nope. Truly, the outer crust may get a bit hot but even a brick-sized falling rock could stay frozen at the core or even just a little way into it during the infall. Rocks don't fall through airs like Earth's or Mars's for very long, maybe only five or ten seconds or so, so there isn't time enough for them to be thoroughly cooked all the way through. Massive great boulders would be even more raw until they landed.

2. ThatOne Silver badge

> I'm a bit skeptical

Why? You would be surprised how many martian rocks (stones ejected from Mars) have managed to land on Earth as meteorites, so one can assume there is a similar amount of Earth rocks on Mars. They could have cross-pollinated each other if the starting conditions were similar, but of course they could also have developed life all on their own.

A theory states that the basic organic stuff came on the asteroids which were at some point ejected from their orbit by Jupiter, in which case they would have sowed all inner planets with the building blocks of life, and life just caught where the conditions were right at the time. Simple life is apparently quite easy to create, so there is no reason why Mars wouldn't had been infected if it had the right conditions.

1. Old Used Programmer

Actually... One would expect far fewer Earth rocks hitting Mars than Mars rocks hitting Earth.

To begin with, any rock ejected from Earth has to travel fast enough to travel outward against Solar gravity to get to Mars. The escape velocity is higher for Earth than for Mars (leading to fewer rocks escaping). And Earth is a larger target. Plus, the Moon tends to focus incoming objects towards the Earth.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

atmospheric loss due to the solar wind would not have occurred until this field collapsed

Yes, this is the theory (along with a solid or nearly solid core which would lack the magma activity needed to generate a magnetic field from planetary rotation, etc.) along with other theories including the magnetic field generation theory.

Some direct proof of the above would be nice. Maybe on a later mission? The magnetic field could be measured with your standard 9 axis IMU. Just sayin'.

Until then, the Mars meteorites discovered over a decade ago [as I recall] had some evidence of structures that COULD have been caused by bacteria, and that the rocks themselves were supposed have originated on Mars. So, "some evidence" is already there. Proof time!

Maybe the helicopter can spot something better than on-ground cameras that would be worthy of the rover to analyze to a greater extent. Not sure exactly what they'd be looking for in that realm, but I kinda like the ancient lake bed approach so I think they've got a much better chance of finding that important conclusive evidence than on ANY other previous mission.

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

"If we see a hedgehog, we would know there’s current and certainly ancient life on Mars"

Or that hedgehogs have developed a teleportation device

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: "If we see a hedgehog, we would know there’s current and certainly ancient life on Mars"

Either that or someone's "spiked" your drink!

But, congratulations to all those involved - a fantastic achievement! I hope that helicopter gets some great shots.

2. ashdav

Re: "If we see a hedgehog, we would know there’s current and certainly ancient life on Mars"

"Or that hedgehogs have developed a teleportation device".

I, for one, welcome our spiny overlords.

1. PhoenixKebab

Dinsdale?

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

You mean Spiny Norman? He's so big we should already be able to see him if he's on Mars.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I, for one, welcome our spiny overlords."

Are they blue?

3. You aint sin me, roit
      Alien

Fits the evidence...

Explains the decline in the UK's hedgehog population if they are all jaunting off to explore Mars...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: jaunting

If hedgehogs can jaunt, then perhaps Mars seems unambitious - surely the stars should be their destination?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
          Coat

Nah, too hot to appear on the surface of a star. Gets 1-star reviews.

Yes, mine has the rubbish joke book in the pocket =>

2. tiggity Silver badge

Upvote for the Alfred Bester reference

3. Old Used Programmer

Have an upvote for the Alfred Bester reference.

4. OssianScotland

Another upvote for Gully Foyle

8. Winkypop Silver badge

Welcome to Mars

Population of robots + 1

Please drive carefully

Re: Welcome to Mars

There are now a higher proportion of EVs and Linux installations on Mars than on Earth = a good start

2. Danny 2

Re: Welcome to Mars

Jezero Crater – Czech for lake

Robot is a Czech word too, well Robota, forced labourer.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Pint

"Designed to last about 30 Martian sols,"

And far, far beyond that if previous NASA engineering is any guide.

Looking forward to another successful mission.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, they do have a good track record of over-achieving in that department.

But I would imagine the hazards of flying are much greater than wheeled transit and a lot more random - any rc drone/aircraft owner could tell you about that!

I've been trying to work out how "fragile" this thing might be in comparison. On the one hand martian gravity is lower so, for any given height, a fall results in a much lower impact velocity. On the other hand the atmosphere is very thin so it is harder to create lift therefore it has to be as light and hence flimsy as possible. On a further hand, the blades will presumably have to spin extremely fast so if they do hit anything (e.g. on a wonky landing) that will be bad...

This is presumably why they haven't set any particular science objectives for it and it seems as if it is more of an engineering experiment - "can we do this? how well does it work? and, if it does, what have we learned and what future capabilities can we design and plan for?"

I don't know if they will have the bandwidth for live video (presumably they will still record some) but it will be awesome to see it fly (or get the point-of-view) for the first time!

1. tiggity Silver badge

Lets hope they have a good idea of flight issue, as dragonfly (to Titan) is a bit of a drone style craft (lots of rotors) and it will be great if that's a success (though its a long time away from launch, never mind arrival, one of those things you hope you live long enough to see when you're getting on a bit)

2. awavey

The hardware isnt the issue,its nuclear battery should keep it powered up for at least 14-17 Earth years, these timescales they quote are always about the budget allocated to maintain mission control ops on it to run the primary science objectives, its not wow look it was only meant to last for 30 Martian sols and it's amazing to be running to 31+, its engineered to survive launch, inter planetary travel and a 10g reentry at 5km per second that gives it a fair bit of long term resilience by default, so of course it will last more than 30 Martian sols, but it has to have money behind it to keep extending the mission duration to run it.And remember they have to keep the tech & software here that runs it static & operational for the length of time the mission then lasts as well. Cassini operations was literally being run by a classic mid 90s spec PC to communicate with it,because modern PCs just ran the code too quickly to handle the data properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

The thing that is meant to last 30 sols is Ingenuity (the helicopter), which is very definitely not powered by an RTG. Perseverance (the rover), is intended to last for at least a Martian year and very probably much longer than that. Ingenuity is extremely unlikely to effectively last very long, but it is not intended to do so.

3. Steve K

30 sols

The plan is to drive off and leave it after 30 sols, whether it is in one piece and still operational or not.

The gist is that it’s an engineering test and so the 30 sols is a kind of favour as they aren’t prepared to delay the main mission for Ingenuity any more than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 30 sols

The plan is to drive off and leave it after 30 sols

But if it is still delivering, and the budget can be increased, then it could carry on as long as it can be funded.

They did it with Hubble and Curiosity. Curiosity had a two year mission, but it was extended indefinitely almost ten years ago and will likely only end when its wheels wear out. Hubble has lasted far longer than anyone expected, so extra funding must have been awarded.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

No, it can't. Ingenuity needs to be close to Perseverance: it is not independently able to communicate. That means that, unless it can make repeated hops to keep up and unless there is sufficient time in various schedules for communication with it, which there probably is not, then at some point either Perseverance has to leave it so the science goals of the mission can be met, or it has to stay behind near it and sacrifice those science goals for further tests of Ingenuity. There is only one way that decision is going to go, and everyone involved knows what it is.

1. 0laf
            Boffin

The little drone copter is just a test. If it works, fantastic, if it doesn't then well lesson learned and the nuclear tank will carry on and do 99.9% of the mission as designed.

10. aregross

Been there, Done that

"Terrain Relative Navigation"

It's been done already here on earth, how do you think Cruise Missles find their target?

Otherwise, what an amazing feat of Science, Engineering and Maths, all rolled into one!

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Been there, Done that

Yes, but cruise missiles already have a detailed map to follow. This has to interpret what it sees because there are not always good reliable maps with sufficient detail.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Cruise missiles observe the terrain and compare what they see with maps made from photos taken by satellites. This Mars rover has just done exactly the same thing. The analogy is spot on (as was the landing).

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

I thought that American cruise missiles used GPS for location tracking. The military version is much more accurate than what is allowed for civilian use, as their low level, high speed flight made use of local topography a bit difficult. Of course that was in the early days of cruise missiles, so maybe they have got better. But there is quite a difference between descending over a landing site from many kilometres up, and zooming through it at 100 feet altitude. El Reg's weapons experts please advise.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Even with the military precision GPS isn't fast or accurate enough for precision guidance of things like cruise missiles. Especially in altitude for things like terrain following. So you still need things like terrain relative navigation. Also, GPS has always been regarded as "nice to have" by the military, as a single nuke in space can likely take it down completely so not a system to be solely relied on.

1. Jess--

I recall speaking with someone involved with early terrain following attempts and being told of a slight error that they ran up against.

A few tests had been performed during the autumn / winter and everything had worked perfectly but on the day in january when it was demonstrated to the bigwigs it took off perfectly and went into a straight level flight as planned and then flew (perfectly straight and level) into the side of a mountain.

The final cause was found to be that the terrain wasn't being recognised any more because it was covered in a couple of inches of snow.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Radar

The story was that Xilinx got started in the FPGA market, making them for a radar based terrain following system for early tomahawk cruise missiles

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>I thought that American cruise missiles used GPS for location tracking. .... Of course that was in the early days of cruise missiles, so maybe they have got better

Original cruise missiles used terrain following because 1, early GPS receivers weren't good/reliable and 2, if you were sending your cruise missiles into the USSR in the 80s it was because the commies had already nuked all your GPS satelites

The versions from the early 90s after the first Gulf War Operation "bring peace and love and freedom to the middle-east" (tm) used GPS because it was then obvious we were only going to use $MM missiles to blow up camels - so it might as well be the camels we were aiming at

2. ThatOne Silver badge
          Devil

> Cruise missiles observe the terrain and compare what they see with maps

That's male cruise missiles. Female cruise missiles insist to stop and ask for directions.

2. Stoneshop
        Boffin

Yes, but cruise missiles already have a detailed map to follow. This has to interpret what it sees because there are not always good reliable maps with sufficient detail.

That Ordnance Survey map of Mars not good enough?

>That Ordnance Survey map of Mars not good enough?

1, OS Licence fees were too high

2, It's a lot of 1:25,000 landrangers to carry for a whole planet

3, The rover is not equipped with a plastic map case around its neck and trousers tucked into hiking socks

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: how do you think Cruise Missles find their target?

You're right, but Cruise Missile Terrain Navigation code is not available on GitHub.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

11. Aleph0
    Alien

Gentry Lee

When spotting the name in the article, I got curious about whether he was the one who used to write books with Arthur C. Clarke, and it turns out he is.

Icon for the Ramans :D

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Gentry Lee

The Ramans do everything in three.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Windows

MMF, FFM or FMO(ther)?

2. Steve K
      Coat

What have the Raman’s done for us?

12. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Back Down on Earth .... with a Bump to Pump and Dump/Fly and Deny

not even highly contagious human malware spreading around Earth.

One could just as truthfully share it is a glitch in alien hardware resultant from some rogue animal software program ......with a few lines of dodgy code which jump the shark or cause and enable the sharks to bite the hands that feed and try to lead them to destruction ?

Surely one that to admit the enemy one is dealing with in a freely mutating global viral pandemic which kills indiscriminately is extraordinary whenever neither man made nor natural and common?

It's a great quantum leap, that small jump for human understanding.

Oh ..... and Bravo, NASA. What would the Fed and Uncle Sam do without you underwriting their dream programming with their lavish justified fiat capital support of your own dream projects in an alien space place.

It's such a pity though that your NASA success in an alien space place is not mirrored and reflected in the Fed and Uncle Sam hashes made on Earth where Doom and Gloom, FUD and SNAFUBAR reign supremely subprime under their rules and regulations in the Wild and Western Alliances of Five Eyed Monstrosities ..... the Lands of Cretins 'R' Us.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: Back Down on Earth .... with a Bump to Pump and Dump/Fly and Deny

I'm amazed that it has never occurred to me before to munge together SNAFU and FUBAR into a portmanteau, and now I've been taught it by a bot. Is this what they mean by Machine Learning?

2. jdiebdhidbsusbvwbsidnsoskebid Silver badge
      WTF?

What is amanfrommars1?

At the risk of going off topic, can anyone here explain to me who or what amanfrommars1 is? And also why?

I've read the register for years and I remember amanfrommars from years back, but I still have no idea what it's all about.

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: What is amanfrommars1?

he was reconstituted from RNA extracted from Eldon

2. DarkwavePunk

"At the risk of going off topic, can anyone here explain to me who or what amanfrommars1 is? And also why?"

That would be an Ecumenical matter.

3. iron Silver badge

The first rule of El Reg is we don't talk about amanfrommars. But, we do upvote him from time to time.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Partially, it's you

13. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Pint

From South Africa - a pint for the NASA team followed by a "well done".

Should be interesting to follow the news on this and see what they will discover.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Rocks. Lots of rocks. Or Mynocks... or worse.

But I'm guessing rocks.

14. Chris Coles

They Will Discover signs of Past and Present Life

They already have discovered a lot of imperfect evidence of life on Mars. Perseverance has been designed to find the necessary incontrovertible evidence. They have achieved immense success in landing the rover. Now, all we can do is wait for the evidence to be discovered.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: imperfect evidence of life, on Mars

Yeah. Some annoying species - I suspect some sort of half-mad patchily-haired biped - appears to have started littering the planet with robots. Is this really the kind of life we were hoping to find? :-)

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: imperfect evidence of life, on Mars

The phrase "talking biped" neatly identifies the main zoological weed on planet Earth.

15. werdsmith Silver badge

Engineers and scientists, people who have been educated and trained to high standards in their chosen discipline manage to achieve jaw dropping successful feats.

Compared to politicians who schmooze and slime their way up to their roles, achieve the most stupendous fuckups.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Compared to politicians who schmooze and slime their way up to their roles, achieve the most stupendous fuckups."

Cream and pondscum both rise to the top.

16. Lucy in the Sky (with Diamonds)

But what about the return trip?

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said,

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...

But still, they come!

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: But what about the return trip?

The Perseverance rover will collect together samples and package them up ready for collection and transport to Earth for human analysis. The collection mission is still in preparation.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/science-tech/how-nasa-plans-to-return-martian-sample-to-earth

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Re: But what about the return trip?

To return the samples, they should package them into cylinders and just launch them in the general direction of Woking (or possibly Bayonne, New Jersey, may be more convenient to get them back to the lab for analysis).

Bonus points if they self-unscrew after landing, while making eerie synth noises…

17. 0laf
    Pint

Cheers and beers

Wonderful to see another sucessful landing from those steely eyed missile people.

I watched the landing live feed with my autistic son. Space is one of the few subject that really lights up his interest in anything. He want's to be one of the people in that NASA Dark Room, which is no bad ambition to have.

Beers for the flight team and I look forward to news from the surface science team.

There is a picture here of the hundreds involved in the mission. I'm sure that's just a fraction really - https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25063/the-team-for-jezero-crater/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cheers and beers

I used to work on numerous projects for NASA and other US prime contractors.

After new management were parachuted in during a takeover, they realised that we were a 'difficult' group to manage with their US MBA book of shouting/man management skills. They got some expensive consultants in who declared most of us well down the autistic spectrum - quel suprise! (Alternatively, we were 'old world' and wouldn't play pony to their 'new world' ideas.)

Keep feeding your lad subjects he might be interested in and some day he will stand a chance of getting a job that he loves :-) Praise the good and don't repeat the bad.

I have my name etched on a piece of silicon on the Perseverance Rover :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have my name etched on a piece of silicon on the Perseverance Rover :-)

Same here, Martian Since 05/27/2019

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Me too, apparently, if only by proxy. Isn't it great we all have the same name! :-)

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Pint

I think we should buy some beers for the anonymous team who managed to capture this image.

https://mars.nasa.gov/system/resources/detail_files/25610_PIA24270-HiRISE-touchdown-annotated-1200.jpg

Pause and think about the mathematical gymnastics required (granted, it's a wide angle, hires image to maximize the chance of success) to line this up.

And ponder, if you will, a few nerds hanging out at the watering hole after work, when one says, "I'll bet I can get a shot of the parachute", and the others reply, "you're on!". I only hope the instigator(s) is enjoying their well-earned beverage.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25610/hirise-captured-perseverance-during-descent-to-mars/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

Oh that's just an amazing picture.

18. imanidiot Silver badge

Awesome achievement.

Once again they pulled it off. Absolutely amazing. I doff my hat!

19. Tempest
    WTF?

What a Conundrum

How can a country with the skills to successfully complete this achievement be so dumb as to have elected TRUMP as their leader?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a Conundrum

statistics. Majority are dumb and tiny minority... well.

2. Mark192

The wide spread of intelligence Vs lack of in our species fascinates me.

My current theory is that there has been a significant advantage to having a large number of the population made up of stupid.

Eg A war of extermination against their neighbors is something I reckon stupid people could be enthusiastic about, even if it comes at considerable cost to them and their own society and enriches only their own corrupt leaders.

3. Ghostman

You have to blame the Democrats that voted for Trump in the primaries.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a Conundrum..I feel a new Internet Law is born..

....a Corollary of Dunning Kruger perhaps.

Anyone who brings up Trump in any non political online discussion is by definition a low information t*sser.

A case of TDS by Proxy.

20. Mxm

"My Aunt, who I lived with, had a parrot called Perserverance..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTv5ckMe_2M

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No camping

Perseverance better get moving. Ranger might be along any minute.

22. Palf

Of course it's a nice repeat trick. But where are the microscopes?

23. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Landing ... is one of the most challenging tasks in space exploration

Landing it is trivial, a landing you can roll away from is the tricky bit

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing there

It's a lot of effort to get a grainy picture of a rock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like