back to article Mobile World Congress to run this year's Barcelona event in June with 50,000 attendees. We're speechless

In what is either going to be seen as hopeless optimism or a heavily telegraphed super-spreader event, the CEO of the Mobile World Congress has said he intends to run its annual mega tech conference in Barcelona as an in-person event. The Spanish Mobile World Congress shindig is planned for the end of June – just four months …

1. trevorde Silver badge
    FAIL

Already bought a ticket

for my PHB (and will continue working from home)

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: Already bought a ticket

Can we also send BoJo's Cabinet? Oh, and Bojo as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can we also send BoJo's Cabinet? Oh, and Bojo as well?

No. If you think this lot is bad, imagine what would happen if they were incapacitated - we'd get idiots like May and Grayling back in charge again, and they'd make Dido Harding "Senior Minster For Desperately Trying Not to Totally and Utterly Fuck Everything Up Again"...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I long for mere idiots to be back in charge of the UK instead of the current lot.

2. 080

I think Dido Harding is better qualified to run the EU

1. IceC0ld

I think a DODO Handler would be better qualified personally speaking :o)

2. teknopaul

I don't usually go but as a bcn resident there is fsck all else to do.

I had covid in March, one day ill. my whole family has had it and been asymptomites, the oldies have had the jabs, granny got ill however she is still with us.

It's time to move on. Spain was hit hard in march 2020, not since.

Lots of people infected is not a concern if they don't have life threatening symptoms.

I understand that some people get nasty side effects, but the numbers in Barcelona do not justify eternal lockdown.

I have friends that lost parents and grandparents, I'm not a covid denier. It's real, it requires care. I support initial, hard, lockdown. But I do believe that we are way past the point the government should dictate our response.

Governments have not done a good job.

If you personally want to spend the rest of your life indoors, do so. I recommend you take Vit D supplements because its not healthy.

1. Ben Tasker

> I had covid in March, one day ill. my whole family has had it and been asymptomites, the oldies have had the jabs, granny got ill however she is still with us.

>

> It's time to move on. Spain was hit hard in march 2020, not since.

And you expect that'll continue with thousands of people flying in from locations around the globe (including those with various variants) and interacting with hotel staff in Barcelona as well as venturing out into the town of an evening?

> Governments have not done a good job.

That's probably true. On the other hand, I don't think you can quite push the "let people and private industry take responsibility" line on a news story where private industry is trying to have thousands fly in with the absolute bare minimum of precautions taken.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's insane. There will be people from all over the world flying in to meet under the same roof, i.e. it's just what's needed for yet another variant to form, and one which vaccines may not be able to offer any immunity to.

3. Mark192

"the numbers in Barcelona do not justify eternal lockdown."

You know your argument is weak so you've created fake reasoning to contrast against.

No one is arguing for eternal lockdown.

Sensible people are arguing that a 50,000 people super-spreader event should not take place this soon.

Hope that helps.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hi Diaz Ayuso, how are you doing?

2. ColinPa

And what happens if you test positive on site?

If you take an on site test, and it comes back positive, you'll have to quarantine in your hotel for 10 days. How do you notify people you've been in contact with... it was John and Meg from a large company in umm,, they spoke German, and French, and Italian or was it Spanish - they are a multi national. John's a tall guy. Meg's got brown hair.

"Plan for the worst - hope for the best"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And what happens if you test positive on site?

They've say everyone has to use an app which uses the Google-Apple Covid API. So if it's working properly all 50,000 will be told to self-isolate. I'm sure that'll solve the problem.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

I don't believe that Spain will let that happen. It's very strict regarding COVID prevention rules. For the moment, social gatherings are limited to six people nationwide.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It seems Catalan politicians have grown tired of this pandemic, they've just held elections with the chosen lucky electoral workers wearing full PPE and having deemed that a success before the figures are in, they're keen to move on to even greater things.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The government was actually against holding the election

The election held last Sunday was all but a normal one. It was prompted by a judicial ruling that kicked out of office the then-current president of the regional government, coming from a long-standing clashing between Catalonia and Spain... i'll spare the details.

After the parliament was unwilling to nominate a new president on late November, elections were automatically called. However, due to the worsening of the conditions, ealry January the then acting acting president (first acting after destitution of titular, second acting after election call) ruled a posponment to May with agreement from all political parties but PSOE, the one which actually holds the national government. This opposition was due becuase that party changed by surprise and at the last moment his candidate, which was until then the Ministry of Health (!) who left office to do the political campaign.

Then some anonymous citizen filed a complaint against the delayed election and the judges ruled that, being an acting acting president and given that the election was ultimately triggered due to another judicial action, he had no authority to delay the election and thus had to be held on February 14th at all costs.

So that's why we had to vote against all the desperate cries from the medical community saying it was the worst moment to do an election and the government hurrying to dictate voting protocols like early voting for elderly people and late voting for confirmed or suspected cases, which were just recommendations becuase the ability to made them mandatory was also judicially denied.

Unsurprisingly, we had a record low participation.

2. David Nash Silver badge

The Spanish authorities may not want it to happen but that might be precisely why the Catalan authorities decide to allow it.

4. Chris G

Well, at least it will give the Barcelona pickpockets and bag snatchers something to do, they've had a rough time of it since the lockdowns, they don't get furlough either, no union or guild to protect them.

The conference may just coincide with a new round of separatist riots too, the Çatalunya government has just been voted in and it has a huge separatist majority, plus the locals are not happy with the Spanish government's heavy handed approach.

5. Coastal cutie

Just one word for this even being proposed - stupid

1. MiguelC Silver badge

GSMA Limited chief exec John Hoffman

Is it "GSMA Limited" chief exec John Hoffman...

or "GSMA "Limited chief exec" John Hoffman?

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

Getting back to normal

Very nice words, but the only way to do that is vaccination. Until herd immunity has been achieved, there will be no normal.

This event is lunacy. I wonder how many people will actually sign up, I know I wouldn't.

7. safetysam

Murderers

If you know that your unnecessary, selfish actions will kill people, does that not count as murder?

1. onemark03

selfish actions ... kill people

Um, how about negligence causing death? Or something like that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touching, but no.

Since touch is a very minor transmission vector, I doubt a touch free setup will make any measurable difference. And unless all hotel staff, taxi drivers, venue staff, etc. live in the same bubble and are also being tested, I doubt they can prevent the delegates, and everyone else, catching this damned virus. $Deity knows I want to get back some semblance of normality, but this looks like hubris writ large.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A breath free environment would be needed....

... and it will also be a Darwinian way to get rid of people who think is a good idea to attend.

But it's still incredible people in charge of this kind of events refuse to understand how this virus spreads.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: A breath free environment would be needed....

Perhaps we can get them to rename it as the Ark B MWC Event?!?

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: hubris

Touch free setup won't do a damn thing to prevent spread. This whole idea is deluded insanity. Perhaps the CEO has actually gone insane. Though I suspect this is simply greed and desperation to stay relevant, lest the world discover it really doesn't give two shits about MWC.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: hubris

A plan to kill all the telephone sanitizers

9. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Crazy

And was it even useful for most attendees even 10 years ago?

My boss – then – put his laptop between the chair back and his back and it was stolen.

It's greed and stupidly that this even still exists.

10. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Facepalm

50,000 from where?

I'd guess that most of the attendees at this conference are there to represent their companies, and are on expenses, so doesn't this presuppose that those companies would authorize the travel? Even were I minded to go (I'm not), there's no way under COVID rules that my current employer will be authorizing anything but essential business travel this year. This sort of junket wouldn't be on that list.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: 50,000 from where?

Totally. My company won't even authorise local work travel, and personal travel should respect all local regs and restrictions.

At least it'll be easy to spot the companies who really don't care about their staff or the health of anyone else. Then the rest of the world can avoid doing any further business with them.

Corporate Darwinian selection...?

2. Chris G

Even if 50,000 turn up, they will probably be sleeping in their hire cars because unless the new Catalan government makes its own rules, there won't be any hotels or hostals open.

Still, on the basis that there is. O such thing as bad publicity, at least the MWC is in the news.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>presuppose that those companies would authorize the travel?

Cheaper than redundancy

Hey Milton, we noticed you failed to meet any targets this year - so as a reward we are sending you on a special trip

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish

I had listened to my English teacher a bit more when I was at school. I might have then learned the words to describe how I feel about the creatures organising and attending this event.

One thing is certain. No matter how inconvenient or difficult it may make life for me in future, I will boycott any manufacturer who exhibits.

Cheers… Ishy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Re: I wish

I'd give it a bash for you but el Reg's filter might explode. Perhaps "titanic thunderc**ts" might get you started.

Another alternative is to wait a few hours for Aus to wake up. en_AU seems designed from the ground up for swearing.

1. IceC0ld

Re: I wish

en_AU

I heard a couple of guys from OZ have a beauty of an argument, merely using the favourite Oz Verb and Noun

you Bloody Bastard, of a Bloody Bastard Bloody POS :o)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wonderful

How many organisations will be contemplating insisting that their staff should attend as exhibitors at this event? Those will be fun discussions

My money is on there being a lot of unsold jamon baguettes in the Fira cafes in June.

God can't believe I'm missing those chewy things - useful for soaking up the previous night's beers (Anon because obvs.)

13. IGotOut Silver badge

Interesting...

I've a relative who works in the event construction sector (think stages, booths, lighting etc) and they are not expecting even small events to start until June, and large corporate events such as this, until at least the end of the year.

14. Danny 2
    1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: The corporate version of this:

Argh. I see a fair amount of that sort of thing in the areas around the Stately Manor (in Michigan) and the Mountain Fastness (New Mexico), both of which see a fair bit of snow.

If it snows on your car, and you want to drive, clean off at least all of the glass -- windows and lights. If you're a halfway decent human and able, clean off the horizontal surfaces as well, so snow and ice don't blow off and obscure your vision or someone else's. And at that point you might as well clean off the entire vehicle.

Driving on the public roads is a privilege, and should be earned by making at least the basic effort to keep your vehicle roadworthy.

There, that's my unrelated-axe-grinding for today.

15. s. pam Silver badge
    Pirate

Call 0800-cat-covid

Who you gonna call to die?

MW Congress!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Under 42 and heathly

then it's 100% not fatal FFS! Stop with the fucking hysteria.

I'm considerably over 42 and currently recovering from covid, it's unpleasant to the point of being tiresome but way less dramatic than the flu. I am on the otherhand concerned for my mother's safety, but she's not planning on attending MWC

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Under 42 and heathly

Wrong.

(That's just the first link that came up in Duck Duck Go, btw. I don't have the time or patience to educate the willfully ignorant and stupid, but I couldn't let your . . . we'll generously call it an error . . . pass unremarked.)

2. Ben Tasker

> Under 42 and heathly then it's 100% not fatal FFS!

Even if that were correct - and it's not - what about any over 42s you run into in the 2 weeks after contracting it (not yet having realised you have)? Or indeed anyone under 42 who may be immunocompromised (whether they know it or not)? Or, taking your example, might be working near your mother?

It's good to hear that your anonymous self isn't suffering too badly with it, but that's not the case for everyone, and where it's not the case, it tends to be pretty damn severe.

Rather than getting all hysterical about "the fucking hysteria", maybe reflect on the impact on others a bit more? Especially in the context of talking about whether MWC should go ahead. Junkets can happen in other years.

3. Filippo Silver badge

Fatality rate is not the whole story. I hope you get better soon, but you should be aware that you have a substantial chance of needing multiple months to recover. A substantial number people still have symptoms after six months. Some are bad enough that they have difficulty working. I'm also young enough that death would be unlikely, but I really, really don't want to suffer fatigue or confusion for months and months.

Also, your mother is not attending MWC, but the man in the grocery line just ahead of her might have, the week earlier. Or the man's wife, two weeks earlier. Or the man's wife's boss, three weeks earlier. Or the man's wife's boss's husband, the previous month. Or... well, you get the point, I hope. Exponentials are nasty that way.

4. Jamesit

People from the age of 0-19 have died from Covid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Canada#By_age

Please check your facts before posting.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 0-19

Did you bother to read, or do you not comprehend? 0-42 and healthy! Check your reading before posting.

And the 0-42 and health figures are from the Latvian Health Ministry, you're welcome.

Poland has had the good sense to open the shops before noon only to the over 65s, why can't anyone see that as a good idea? Isolate those that need isolation, not the whole population.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          Facepalm

So, and let me be sure I have this down, your assertion is that statistics from Latvia, a small Baltic state with a mostly uniform population, are appropriate to generalize across the global populace? Fascinating.

What does the term "cherry picking" mean to you?

Now, AC also provided personal anecdotal evidence, which as we know trumps all statistics and science. This is the Internet, after all.

17. Flak
    Coffee/keyboard

Bon chance with that!

as a learned colleague once said to the owner of a boutique champagne producer...

18. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

SWAG!

Visit us at MWC 2021!

Get your very own Covid-19 MWC21 variant at booth #666

19. Mark192

"it's just like flu"

People keep saying it's just like flu.

Unsure if they realise what flu would be like in populations starting with no herd immunity and no annual vaccination campaign.

It would be very bad (understatement).

The current virus is "only" a few times worse than that.

Let's at least wait until we've got everyone vaccinated before even considering 50,000 people super-spreader events eh?

Re: "it's just like flu"

Right. It's just like the flu, in the sense that it's a highly-transmissible disease with multiple variants and a wide range of effects, severity, and mortality, which has caused at least one pandemic reaching millions of deaths.

Anyone who thinks "just like flu" is a consolation is an idiot.

1. Mark192

Re: "it's just like flu"

@ Michael Wojcik

You said it much more concisely than I did - thanks!

20. sanmigueelbeer

How awkward can it get: Go to a 5G convention and contracted COVID.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like