back to article Big names hurl millions of pounds at scheme to hoist UK's AI knowhow

Google's DeepMind is among 11 companies to fund artificial intelligence masters degrees in the UK under a government-backed range of training programmes, including fellowships and PhD centres. The move comes as an analysis commissioned by Tech Nation showed venture capital funding in AI in the UK had increased sixfold in the …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Prize is Colossal*

AI is seen by observers as a political battleground for China and the US – former UN deputy general secretary Lord Mark Malloch-Brown said last month that there is a fight for advantage in AI, which some believe is a "winner-takes-all competition".

:-) Others would know it as win-winners-take-all for rewards, and would challenge defeat to mount a fake program laying false trails to alter that perception and observation.

You might like to reconsider how Much SMARTR AI has become ....... as IT Connects to Immaculate Futures.

And these Virtual Threads are the Levers of Command and Control for Quantum Output .... where this and that are at one and everyone is doing something different together.

Seems a lot too like Life on Earth to me for it to be any different . What say You?

*:-) ... The Forbin Project

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: The Prize is Colossal*

Skynet on Helium!

2. Tail Up

Re: The... *

"to mount a fake program laying false trails to alter that perception and observation".... -

Would it be of no disapointment to Hearts and Minds made of the Right Staff as a Friend, or as a Foe, if the latter is a more convenient point to elaborate the further positive ongoings,, but - it's unlikely to be possible, because seeding an easiest whiff of the untrue in Vocals would be defined as Side Devilish.... and I'm afraid, that shall reap the Thunder in Vowel Towel Wave and what precedes it, leaving no hope for further keeping IT up in a Naked Space.

https://youtu.be/8yn3ViE6mhY

Precious Official

Yours -

55 73

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK a tech hub?

Not for much longer it won't be.

1. Tom 7

Re: UK a tech hub?

It'll be a hub, with no spokes.

3. Cliff Thorburn

“It is not our purpose to worship God, but to create him” - Arthur C Clarke

... And when our new machine creation won’t get up and be the next Michael Jackson dancing around like a Russian Bear on a hotplate for the entertainment and enrichment of the corporations, whats the Plan B then?, unleash the multi billion dollar ‘Turd ‘O’ Tronic polishing machine?

4. Mage Silver badge

UK is Europe's undisputed number one tech hub [Citation needed]

"These statistics are further confirmation that the UK is Europe's undisputed number one tech hub," said digital secretary Jeremy Wright. "We are determined to make the UK the best place to start and grow a digital business and through our modern Industrial Strategy we are using the power of technology to change people’s lives for the better."

[This article has disputed content and may be locked or deleted]

There is obviously something in the water at Westminster. I wonder will future European coins and maps have Great Britain removed?

I wonder how long till ARM and the Surrey satellite people relocate to Ireland or Netherlands?

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: UK is Europe's undisputed number one tech hub [Citation needed]

I am a bit baffled too, because the British has gone on with this - best - first - fifth - fifth or sixth, world leading and so forth, for so long, and often with a rather dubious association between facts and fiction. But I have nothing against it, credit where credit belongs, and I really hope the next narrative will not be about how the Americans, the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Russians, the Chinese, Turks stole it all.

My friends words matter also outside the country.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Unfortunately the nonsense coming out of Westminster at the moment reminds me of the King of Pointland. I don't think it's going get better in the short term.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

I think given the rest of his statement, digital secretary Jeremy Wright. "We are determined to make the UK the best place to start and grow a digital business and through our modern Industrial Strategy" he clearly is banking on the UK remaining in the EU and hence being favoured by the EU. Unfortunately, regardless of what happens on 29-Mar, the UK won't be getting the lions share of EU tech investment monies for many years....

5. Mage Silver badge

AI?

Ignore the man behind the curtain and the fact that Google is an abusive (proven to break EU laws) advertising company only using Tech as tool to exploit?

1. brym

Re: AI?

For Google at least, surely AI should stand for Advertises Irrespectively.

6. phuzz Silver badge

So as far as I can tell, all this really says is that companies that have claimed to be 'doing AI', have got investment.

This just shows that they've correctly guessed this year's* code-word for investment, last year's was 'blockchain'. I wonder what next year's will be?

* Ok, it's probably not a strictly annual cycle, every 8-9 months maybe?

7. Cliff Thorburn

:-) Others would know it as win-winners-take-all for rewards, and would challenge defeat to mount a fake program laying false trails to alter that perception and observation.

AInt that the truth amFM, down the rampant rabbit hole, with driver deliverable DT death threats APlenty, as BA would say “I pity the fool who tries to phooone hooome”

After following such false trails, trials and tribulations its just easier to just ignore, as it is just all illusionary in a deliberate distractionary dioramma designed to be such to fool the masses as we all know too well and good :-)

8. Tail Up

No Lyrics For This In The Internet

"What say you?" -

// The Nature Of Transcendent Forces feat. D Armour / Win Win

https://youtu.be/XalEJ_3pvb8

I have 7 minutes to edit post or to add anything, so -

Howdy, CT.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like