back to article India splashes cash to lure telecoms and network kit-makers in need of manufacturing muscle

India has created a new tech manufacturing investment attraction fund, this time for telecom equipment and enterprise networking kit. Details of the new Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Telecom and Networking Products have not been posted, but previous Indian PLI schemes aimed at consumer electronics and other …

1. steamnut

Enough money already?

With all of these high cost schemes and their current outer space activities, then, clearly, they no longer any of our foreign aid budget.

1. Raj

Re: Enough money already?

British ‘foreign aid’ to India is a joke I’ve been reading for 25 years now. Pretty much every time somethig major happens in India, the British press and commenters respond “oh my goodness is that what THEY are doing with OUR money ??” A very predictable Pavlovian response.

Indian foreign exchange reserves are nearly $600 billion - either the 4th or 5th largest on the planet any given week:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-exchange_reserves

Approximately $220 billion in US treasuries:

https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

About $50 billion in GBP, ie India currently lends more to UK than all aid ever cumulatively received by India from UK.

Meanwhile British ‘aid’ was $100 million last year, about 0.003% of GDP. Money well spent on outraging yourselves like clockwork every year I guess.

2. NeilPost

Race to the bottom

As long as you are cheaper than China, Vietnam fine. If not you will be avoided.

It’s the dichotomy between ‘repatriating manufacturing home’ for political reasons and cheap-cheap-cheap.

If they could stand up viable manufacturing in ‘an African shithole’ like South Sudan, DRC, Zimbabwe ... believe me they would. It wasn’t so long ago Vietnam was a post war communist backwater.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like