back to article New York AG sues Amazon for putting 'profit over people' when it comes to COVID-19

Five days after Amazon filed a federal lawsuit against New York Attorney General Letitia James to preempt anticipated state legal action, James has answered with a complaint against the e-commerce giant alleging labor law violations. James's filing on Wednesday in the State of New York's Supreme Court alleges that Amazon …

1. nematoad
    Mushroom

Avoid.

"Amazon uses the scanners to measure and record each worker’s productivity in terms of work units completed per hour,"

No, behaving like that you do not have workers you have robots.

Amazon's management has decided that in order to maximise profit you have to reduce any human being unfortunate to be employed by the company to the status of a faceless, inconsequential machine without feeling, needs or indeed a life outside the confines of the hive.

More like worker ants than people and just as disposable.

I will not do business with such an appalling travesty of "free enterprise" and I urge everyone to consider the means with which Amazon delivers the goods you buy from them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Avoid.

Tangentially related: a couple of days ago, I watched the recent South Park episodes about Amazon on GameOne (France). And right after, during the 3-minute ad break, there were not one, but 2 Amazon ads about how great it is to work there.

Coincidences, heh?

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Avoid.

Well, it's called "damage control". Normally an ad would brag about the qualities of their offer, now they just try to imply they treat their wage slaves fairly.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Aren't Amazon evil?

It's a pity their cloud product is so compelling, eh? And it's not like they make their tech workers catch covid, it's only the plebs that work in the warehouses....

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Re: Aren't Amazon evil?

I interviewed at amazon years ago for an engineering position. Things didn't seem great as an engineer there even back then. One engineer actually burst into tears, and I don't mean tears of joy

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

At the time, there was a spokesman for Amazon's warehouse workers on the news, outraged that the health of he and his colleagues was being put at risk so that people could have dildos delivered to their doors.

I can't remember his exact words, but I was left with the feeling that he wasn't against, say, nappies, books, cleaning supplies etc being picked, packed and delivered if it could be done safely.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hmmm...

A couple of months ago the literary estate of Iain M Banks announced their decision not to continue with the Amazon-funded television adaptation of Consider Phlebas, after a couple of years of development by director Dennis Kelly ('Utopia' - deep, humorous, uniquely styled, possibly too violent for some).

At the time I'd assumed it was perhaps the estate had reservations over the treatment of Bank's book. Now though, it seems plausible that they feel that Bank's values are at odds with Amazon's practices.

Just a thought.

1. KBeee

Dennis Kelly's "Utopia" was far superior to Amazons 2020 remade version (which was cancelled after 1 season it was so bad - though I gave up after a couple of episodes).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like