back to article New FCC boss leaps into action by… creating three committees to look at longstanding problems and come back at some point

The new acting head of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Jessica Rosenworcel has emerged from her first meeting in charge of America's telecoms regulator stressing urgency and the need to act at a “critical time.” Her solution? To set up a series of new task forces, committees, and review teams to look at …

1. RM Myers
    Unhappy

The condensed version

Bureaucrats will be bureaucrats, and committees are the answer to how bureaucrats protect themselves from being held responsible in case the sh*t hits the fan.

Always has been, always will be.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: The condensed version

So you (and Kieren) seem to believe that the best approach is to shoot from the hip according to pre-conceived ideas?

Seems to me that was the main failing of the previous Administration.

(I do agree that target dates for the various committee reports would be an excellent idea.)

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Bureaucrats will be bureaucrats

Indeed so. The new rules for expert panel membership of a standards body state in their first line the obligation not to miss two consecutive (almost entirely administrative) meetings. Only some way down the list is a requirement for subject expertise.

3. Jellied Eel Silver badge

SOP for bureaucrats, especially when it comes to touchy subjects like 'net neutrality.. Which has been rumbling on for years already. So kick the can down the road, and in only 3 and a bit year's time, it'll probably become someone elses problem.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

The bigger the problem...

Trump left behind the largest disasters in every way in American history. One does not rush into burning buildings or catastrophes of any nature. That is a good way to make the problem worse and get hurt as well.

Haste is required, but looking before you leap is something even grade school children learn.

3. Fred Goldstein

This was an unnecessary hit piece. The FCC has a wide range of authority -- most likely not including Section 230 -- and has to deal with a lot of things at once. 911 fee diversion, for instance, is when a state puts a 911 fee on the phone bill, which is normal, but it's not all used to support 911 and related services, but is simply used as general tax revenue. It's a sneaky politician trick, not legal, and so the FCC is properly looking into it. Mapping is a huge problem too since coverage maps are used to target subsidies, and (this should not be surprising) some carriers' coverage maps are, well, rather a *bit* generous. A lot of important stuff is going on there too, including spectrum policy and some refarming.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

" 911 fee diversion, for instance, is when a state puts a 911 fee on the phone bill, which is normal,"

Wait...what? You have to PAY to make an emergency 911 call?

I know a national 911 system is relatively new to the US, but here in the UK, our 999 emergency number has always been free.

1. brett_x

not per call

No, we don't pay to call 911. There is a tax collected on phone bills that is supposed to pay for costs associated with running the 911 system.

Going to the emergency room though....... that.... we pay dearly for (usually to multiple companies involved, even if you have insurance.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like someone trying not to rock any boats while waiting to see if they get the job or not.

1. oiseau
      Thumb Up

Sounds like someone trying not to rock any boats ...

Could very well be ...

I think that she has to be confirmed by one of those Republican infested Senate committees.

Taking into account all that needs to be done, better to try to get it done after that confirmation is in.

If she shows her cards now, she won't get the job.

Telcos et al are big Republican donors and have very deep pockets.

Only time will tell if nominating Rosenworcel was the right move by Biden or the FCC has had a Pai replaced with another one, albeit in skirts and with a wig.

O.

5. DS999 Silver badge

It does little good

For the Biden FCC to reverse decisions made under the Trump FCC which reversed decisions made under the Obama FCC which reversed decisions made under the Bush FCC.

The only proper fix is legislation, and it will take some time and some data to even hope to build enough of a consensus to get a majority vote on anything that goes against the telcos best interests. I think everyone would agree the congress a LOT more important things to deal with right now than stuff like net neutrality or how to best determine broadband availability, so studying the issues and coming back later probably makes sense. IMHO the best chance to get something passed might be in the lame duck sessions after the 2022 election - you have outgoing members in both parties who don't have to be beholden to deep pocket telco donors any longer.

Those who are rooting for her to quickly undo what Pai did via FCC orders need to realize it will just be undone again down the road and solve nothing.

6. jason_derp

Oh my God, how many times is the US going to pay for fibre lines and connectivity before somebody just puts the damn stuff in the ground and hooks it up?! The US gets its ass kicked by Romania in this department!!

7. Someone Else Silver badge
    Facepalm

DissaPOINTed!

I expected better from Eejit Pai's most vocal critic.

Based on the auction task force’s pace, we can expect to see accurate broadband data some time in 2029.

Doubt she will even be on the FCC by then.

Should have known better than to hope.

8. EricB123 Bronze badge
    Mushroom

Fools Fee

Maybe the "911 fee" on my bills should be changed to "fools fee". But let's not rush into the name change! First we should study the change, send the idea to endless committees...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like