back to article Nominet claims effort to replace its board with 'safe hands' is invalid, refuses to put it to member vote

The UK’s internet registry operator Nominet has claimed that an effort to remove members of its board and replace them with two caretaker directors is not legal and is refusing to put it to a member vote. The move appears to be a desperate gambit by the organisation’s CEO and non-elected board members to keep their jobs after …

1. Andre Carneiro

Quelle surprise

So presumably this will now all go to court, taking a few years and hundreds of thousands in legal fees, thus ensuring the incumbents stay out?

This has been a fascinating saga.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Quelle surprise

It won't go to court. The angry mob that storms the boardroom & drags out the tantrum throwing hoi polloi will be too busy stringing them up by their bollocks & beating them like cheap pinatas to let them file a suit in the first place.

"You want to cry foul? We've been crying foul for the past decade & you bastards have given us TheFinger the entire time. Go ahead & file suit, we can't wait for the judge to find you all guilty of intentional criminal fuckwitery & demand you be publicly hanged!"

Ok, I'm probably just having vindictive fantasies again, but DAYAM would it be nice if the judge ordered the bailiff to drag the bastards out to the public stocks for repeated floggings.

*Sigh*

I'll go refill my dried frog pills...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

"intentional criminal fuckwitery" should absolutely be a felony charge.

Don't know about the flogging but the use of stocks really needs to stage a comeback.

Also require that the miscreants label all their social media interactions, emails, and messages with "<name> was convicted of intentional criminal fuckwitery."

1. IceC0ld

back in the day, I was an electrician, and it was the time of the unions ..................

we held a meeting one day, to discuss the actions of one guy, caught talking to management, out of procedure .............

the charge against him, was one of Gross Sniddery [sp] ffs

2. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Childish...

But what can you expect from a bunch of self-serving incompetents? "If we are not allowed to play with it, then nobody can play with it". Sounds like a certain ex-world leader. What's next? Are they going to hold the AGM and then claim that even though the votes went against them, they still won?

1. Chris G

Re: Childish...

I am confidently expecting, that when there is eventually a vote to remove the current incumbents, that there will be cries of vote rigging followed by an invasion of Nominet's offices.

2. Lon24

"But what can you expect from a bunch of self-serving incompetents?"

Never underestimate your enemy even if past performance indicates otherwise. The cabal at Haworth Towers are now laser focussed on survival. If they are as sharp and unscrupulous as I fear they may be - they will have concluded there's not much to be done with the revolting membership. Only to cement the biggies already on the gravy chain and those that they can entice to come on board. They can, I think, united still outvote the revolters. Even if that window of opportunity is getting tighter by the day.

So the pitch is plain to the biggies. If you don't want your gravy chain to go dry - support the board.

Except Haworth needs GoDaddy et al more than GoDaddy et al need Haworth. The uk domain is still peanuts to them. Even taking management time to think about it is problematical. Indeed putting the wholesale price down might seem equally as attractive. I guess we will never know the content of those frantic transatlantic calls to get the US Cavalry come and rescue the King of Nominet from his own countrymen & women.

Whether they can be arsed will decide Nominet's future.

A Nominet Member

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

I guess we will never know the content of those frantic transatlantic calls to get the US Cavalry come and rescue the King of Nominet from his own countrymen & countryladies.

We'll know how desperate they are when they fly in Rudi Guiliani for a press conference at Four Seasons Garden Centre, somewhere on the Oxford Ring Road

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

Don't think there's a Four Seasons Garden Centre in Oxford, but Homebase Cowley is right next to the ring road and has a garden centre. Or maybe B&Q in Botley, some B&Qs have garden centre, but I'm not sure this one does, but either way, it is also right next to the ring road.

1. Vometia Munro Silver badge

There's a Four Seasons hotel somewhere up Abingdon Road. I dunno if it does a sideline in plants and plastic gnomes, though.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Four Pillars Hotel.

But what we are looking for is a drab building in an industrial estate next to a ring road or motorway or something like that. If it shares a name with a 4* or 5* hotel such as the Four Pillars, that's even better.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
                Coat

Pity that Anne Summers at Castle Quay in Banbury, to the north of Oxford on the A4260 is listed by Google as permanently closed. Even shows a picture of the car park

2. Vometia Munro Silver badge

Oh, sorry, right you are. I was probably daydreaming about pizza when I wrote that. Or Vivaldi; but probably pizza.

2. NeilPost

Ajit Pai and the unscrupulous behind the defeated ICANN takeover are probably looking for new opportunities.....

2. Electronics'R'Us
        Holmes

I am not in this particular part of the industry but it seems to me that GoDaddy et. al. might not want to have the icky brown stuff splash over them even slightly and may simply choose to abstain rather than ending up in a position where they have to defend a position to retain a clearly corrupt board of directors..

This is not in the mainstream news (yet, one hopes) but I suspect there are a lot of very private conversations being had over the possible fall out effects of supporting such leeches.

One can but hope.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

There was an article in the Sunday Telegraph on 30th January

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/01/30/former-bbc-chairman-joins-bid-oust-board-web-registry/

Presumably in the print edition on 31st January.

Nominet claim that this would disrupt their efforts to secure the NHS.

Not sure how that works. The only involvement they have with the NHS is the registration for the nhs.uk domain name. Subdomains for individual hospitals and so on, such as ouh.nhs.uk, should they want to visit their local hospital, are handled by NHS Digital.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are assuming that they will allow a vote to remove them, ultimately they can do what they like because the law is set up of leeches like these to earn huge wages,bonus and pensions without any oversight.

Normally with this sort of set up you could complain to whomever gave them the power in the first place

3. jonathan keith

They really aren't doing themselves any favours, are they?

1. nematoad
      FAIL

"They really aren't doing themselves any favours, are they?"

Well no, not in the general sense. But as far as these characters see it this is the last chance to stay in a well feathered nest. Their previous actions show that they do not give a damn about the feelings of the general membership, sucking up to and favouring those with the biggest number of votes to ensure that they stay in post.

I did foresee that something like this would happen and I am sure that PublicBenefit.uk will have plans in place against such chicanery but it is disappointing that recourse to litigation looks to be likely just to make sure that member's voices and concerns are heard when anyone with a shred of self-respect would have seen the writing on the wall and resigned.

This is most unseemly but it is par for the course and the sooner these parasites are removed the better for all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They really aren't doing themselves any favours, are they?

they don't care about "favours" at this stage, they care about their jobs (i.e. money), and they use the same tactics they have for the last several years: bulldoze. We'll see if the roller runs on real fuel, or thin air...

4. Andy Non Silver badge

finances obscured

"Nominet’s executives have spent tens of millions of pounds from its monopoly on .uk names on a series of failed commercial enterprises whose finances it has obscured."

Sounds like a forensic financial audit is in order. Has someone had their hands in the cookie jar and they are now desperately trying to hide the fact?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: finances obscured

Why is a forensic financial audit is in order? You can see the gaping holes in Nominet's accounts from space. It's obvious where the money has gone and who has been responsible for pissing it away. Hint: their names might be in the call for an EGM.

1. Cuddles

Re: finances obscured

The problem is that while it's obvious who is responsible, it's not at all obvious where the money has actually gone. It might have been flushed down the toilet on stupid investments in schemes that failed to pay off, or it might have been pocketed by certain people who used the stupid investments as a cover to explain where it went. One would indiciate incompetence in running a non-profit that has no reason to be attempting to diversify in the first place, the other would result in serious criminal charges being brought. Hence the need for a proper audit; it's not enough to know that the money has gone and who lost it, you also need to know what they actually did with it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nominet is the new

Belarus.

1. MaceAdams
      FAIL

Re: Nominet is the new

More like North Korea

6. cipnt

"Stable genius" LMAO

I laughed so much at these two word in this context. Hilarious and tragic at the same time

7. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Leaderless

Having no leadership for a time is less of a problem than you might think, there's certainly going to be no micromanagement after all. As David Graeber pointed out, Belgium even managed to go more than 500 days with no government. No disasters happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Leaderless

Indeed - when our CEO was off ill for 3 months things ran rather more smoothly than usual!

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Leaderless

Unless a company has cash flow issues1 a few months of everyone just getting one with the day job without senior management interfering being proactive will probably improve things.

Belgium shows just how little countries need to be actively managed when they have a competent civil service, when the financial year ended and without anyone able to make decisions I believe they just hit the repeat button on all govt. department budgets and carried on. The departments then also saved the weeks needed to plan around the new figures.2

1Not usually a problem with monopolies

2This might not work twice in a row, no one complained about the lack of tax rises.

8. bronskimac

Gravy train heading for the buffers

It seams that people become so accustomed to acting with impunity and feathering their own nests that they come to think that it is normal and their right. The Trump reference fits perfectly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gravy train heading for the buffers

It is embarrassing to see how desperate the board are becoming to preserve their job security and £1,700,000 annual remuneration package.

Every day the Nominet monopoly money-making fruit machine automatically pays out with little effort pulling the handle, kerchhhhhhing - paying for the double digit pay increases and bonuses…and failed diversification projects.

Eleanor Bradley on the Board since 2012 (with bonuses) has been comfortable in cushy Nominet for more than 24 years schooled by Lesley Cowley. Little incentive to move on.

On her departure Eleanor Bradley will be exchanging her life in a money-making monopoly for the real outside world. She and the others will be missed for a short while, but no one is irreplaceable. In fact, wasn’t CEO Lesley Cowley off on sick leave for quite a while but Nominet continued to operate without any difficulties.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually, Nominet appears to be technically right in this particular case assuming that this is the correct set of articles of association in force (https://media.nominet.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/11091511/Nominet-UK-Articles-of-Association-AGM-2017.pdf)

On the other hand, this just requires that you pass a motion to fire *all* of the existing members of the board at the EGM and then terminate the meeting. (not doing so would leave the outgoing people as chairman of the EGM which could let them cause problems)

Another EGM should be booked immediately afterwards, and you can then take advantage of article 11 (If at any meeting no member of the Board is willing to act as Chairman, or if no member of the Board is present within fifteen minutes after the time appointed for the holding ofthe meeting, the Members present shall choose one of their number to be Chairman of the meeting)

So the meeting then commences, as no members of the board exist then after 15 minutes you can appoint one of your number to be the chairman of the meeting, at which point with a duly constituted meeting you can appoint up to 4 members to the board under article 29. Under article 31 you can also appoint a "person who is willing to act to be a director to fill an Elected Director vacancy". Since the director position would be vacant at this point (having fired them in the previous step) you can do this, and you can then use article 28 to allow the new board members to appoint up to 4 executive members, including the new CEO.

Sorry Nominet; checkmate. You can make the members jump through a few more hoops to get rid of the existing management, but that's all you can do. I'd suggest going with your remaining dignity whilst you still have the opportunity.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

2021's Brassneck Award goes to.. Nominet!

Sorry Nominet; checkmate. You can make the members jump through a few more hoops to get rid of the existing management, but that's all you can do. I'd suggest going with your remaining dignity whilst you still have the opportunity.

That's my take. The EGM proposal seemed designed around those issues, ie terminate the old board (with extreme prejudice) and vote in a caretaker board which can then call for new elections to a new board.

Hopefully these antics may be raising a few eyebrows in government as well.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: 2021's Brassneck Award goes to.. Nominet!

"Hopefully these antics may be raising a few eyebrows in government as well."

What part of government?

Companies House is the regulator as far as company matters goes. It's an agency, i.e. a body enabling HMG to stay at arm's length. I'm not sure they have the right to take an interest until there's a complaint made to them about the board.

But who authorises Nominet to run the registry? Does govt grant them this? If so do they come under Ofcom for regulatory purposes?

Are they authorised by ICANN? If so then it sounds like a case of birds of a feather. Even if that's the case there should still be a case for making them answerable to Ofcom. They're just too significant a part of infrastructure to be left alone.

Are they authorised by ICANN? If so then it sounds like a case of birds of a feather. Even if that's the case there should still be a case for making them answerable to Ofcom. They're just too significant a part of infrastructure to be left alone.

Well, I guess the government could tell ICANN/IANA to delegate everything .uk to some new entity, and then fold Nominet into NewNominet minus it's old board. But that would be a tad.. risky. Plus lots of paperwork and lawyers. But a bit like what the NRA are doing in the US at the moment, ie using bankruptcy as a way to cease it's NY operations and reappear in Texas(?), and dodge NY's DAs and their attempts to regulate/litigate the NRA out of existence in the process. The kind of shenanigans that happens quite a lot during ch.11 proceedings.

But I guess if our government gets fed up, it could throw everything from SFO, company, tax and other investigations Nominet's way, unless the old guard 'volunteers' to step down. One of the perks of being government I suppose.

2. Sirius Lee

If it is a not-for-profit organisation then doesn't it come under the aegis of the Charities Commission?

1. R Soul Silver badge

No.

The Charities Commission oversees registered charities. Charities are not neccessarily not-for-profit organisations. And lots of not-for-profit organisations are not charities.

Nominet used to have a charity and that would have been within the Charities Commission's domain. Excuse the pun. But Nominet shut it down.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Companies House isn't a regulator. It collects fees and publishes data - accounts, directors info - that's submitted by companies, CH doesn't even check the data they're given. It has no authority or ability to investigate complaints either. They didn't intervene when BHS got sold by a tax dodger to a serial bankrupt for £1. So why would CH bother about Nominet's board if they had the ability to do that?

There's nothing in writing authorising Nominet to run the .uk registry: no contract or charter or legislation. There's just a general consensus that .uk should be in the hands of a stakeholder-controlled non-profit organisation that's run for the general benefit of the UK Internet.

The UK does not regulate the Internet. Well, not yet. That means Nominet is not regulated in the way that telcos or broadcasters are regulated. It does however have to comply with various regulations - GDPR, Health & Safety, etc.

ICANN has no oversight or control over ccTLDs. It hasn't authorised Nominet to run .uk, just like it hasn't authorised any of the organisations running any of the other 200 or so ccTLDs.

Nominet is not "too significant a part of infrastructure to be left alone". Take a look at the 2010(?) Digital Economy Act. If Nominet gets into really serious trouble - insolvency, .uk going offline, etc - the government can take .uk away from Nominet and give it to somebody else. That someone else would very probably be a clone of Nominet - non-profit, multistakeholder governance, etc - with a different management team and board.

All of this means there's no point looking for outside actors to impose a solution. Reform has to happen inside Nominet using the company's M&As. That means the membership have to get off their arse and take back control. Which is what is now under way.

If Nominet gets into really serious trouble - insolvency, .uk going offline, etc - the government can take .uk away from Nominet and give it to somebody else. That someone else would very probably be a clone of Nominet - non-profit, multistakeholder governance, etc - with a different management team and board.

That's pretty much what the EGM proposes, just with a lower risk of disruption. Same Nominet, new management till new elections get held.

But this got me thinking about HMG interests, eg-

.gov.uk

.mil.uk

.mod.uk

.nhs.uk

.parliament.uk

.police.uk

Which seems HMG has (or should have) quite an interest in the smooth operation of .uk SLDs. Not sure who runs all of those, eg .ac.uk I think is still managed by JANET.

I guess it would be fun however if all the second & third levels under HMG .uk domains translated into Nominet voting rights. But potentally quite a large stick to beat Haworth etc with.

2. Ben Tasker
      Joke

I can already see Haworth's response to this

You have no authority here Jackie Weaver

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. rg287

On the other hand, this just requires that you pass a motion to fire *all* of the existing members of the board at the EGM and then terminate the meeting. (not doing so would leave the outgoing people as chairman of the EGM which could let them cause problems

The rules of EGMs are generally that no items other than those on the agenda may be discussed. So having an ousted director in the Chair is not an issue - they can't announce a last-minute item of Any-Other-Business or any other chicanery. You've got resolution 1, resolution 2, and then the meeting closes and they're out.

They cannot legally introduce or undertake any other business during the EGM. You don't need to specifically close the meeting via the motion (i.e. do a procedural Force-Quit).

On the matter of elections, there is some pedantic semantics - namely "elect" vs. "appoint".

The wording of the resolution is to Appoint Lyons and Pawlik as Directors. This might be read as an instruction to the (remaining) Board to Appoint them as Appointed Non-Execs (which the Board definitely can), rather than constituting an election by members (since (a) there can only be four member-elected directors, and those spaces are filled, and (b) the resolution would not constitute an election of the prescribed form).

Per Section 29, you don't need an EGM for the board to Appoint Non-Execs, so the current resolutions are fine. Nominet's whinging that "members may appoint directors only through the elections process specified by our constitution, articles and bylaws, and the maximum number of member-elected Board seats are already filled.” is not relevant. The resolution does not de jure seek to elect board members, merely to instruct the board (which will be predominantly elected directors by then - and granted, this does de facto seem like a bit of a loophole for members to shoe in additional members).

Moreover, there doesn't seem to be anything stopping the remaining Board from appointing Lyons and Pawlik anyway after the EGM, even if they only present the first resolution to the Meeting.

There should be absolutely no need for a second EGM.

1. Ben 5

Assuming the resolution is read as instructing the board to appoint the members, the board can just ignore it. There are procedures for the appointment of directors in the AoA, which cannot be overridden by a simple shareholder resolution (see Automatic Self-Cleansing Filter Syndicate Co Ltd v Cuninghame - Wikipedia has an entry for it).

If the shareholders can achieve a 75% support, they could of course change the Articles via special resolution and thereby do anything necessary to achieve their goals.

10. Potemkine! Silver badge
    WTF?

What about the EPO?

Now that Mr. McCarty's arch-enemy leaved the Presidency of EPO in mid-2018, it doesn't seem the situation at EPO is better, looking at this report:

In this context, the atmosphere at work is deteriorating significantly. It is primarily described as tense (52%), but also confrontational, malicious and aggressive, reflecting the tensions inherent in the organisation of the work and conflicts of values.

I don't see any critical article on EPO's management since 2018. Why this astonishing silence on that situation, when we got many articles criticizing Battistelli?. Why isn't the situation better now that the King has been executed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about the EPO?

Bizarre crosspost is bizarre but I've actually done some work for the EPO (Munich end) so will weigh in.

The organisation is a balkanised hodgepodge of contractors and outsourcers. It is living firmly in the 1990s and reminds me a lot of the end of the Jeff Goldblum "Fly" movie, where it needs to be killed at the end in order for everyone to live happily ever after.

Happy to help.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The Register does need an icon for "that axe you're grinding does not go with this stone".

1. N2

More like a pigs in the trough icon

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Why this astonishing silence on that situation"

There's only one Kieren at The Reg and many, many organizations for him to investigate. We felt that Battistelli's departure was a good moment to turn attention elsewhere for a while. Future coverage of the EPO isn't ruled out.

C.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: "Why this astonishing silence on that situation"

>>>There's only one Kieren<<<

Well that's one more name on the list of people we need to clone :)

11. David Brent

I'd love to see you run this place without...

You'd have a mutiny on your hands for a start, cos they would...

12. boblongii

Easy fix

Enact #1, and then immediately call a second EGM for after lunch and enact #2 then.

1. rg287

Re: Easy fix

Enact #1, and then immediately call a second EGM for after lunch and enact #2 then.

They don't need a second EGM. Assuming the Elected Board Members are sympathetic to the cause, then once #1 is enacted and the meeting closes, the remaining Directors can convene a Board Meeting and appoint Lyons/Pawlik as Non-Execs under Section 29 of the Articles. They don't need the Resolution, it's just a nice to have (and would arguably demonstrate the member's will to the Board).

Nominet are right in that the members can't elect any more Board Members. The articles allow for 4 Elected Members, and all 4 slots are occupied. But #2 doesn't seek to elect additional directors, it directs the (remaining) Board to make additional appointments (for which there are/will be vacancies). That probably isn't binding (it would constitute election-by-proxy, certainly against the spirit of the articles and possibly wouldn't hold up in court), but Elected Directors would obviously do well to note a strong preference from the membership!

13. iron Silver badge

a critical destabilising impact

How hard is it to keep running the same nameservers you've been running for the last several decades?

And, how often do they need board members to step in and fix issues? lol

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: a critical destabilising impact

Yes, i had to laugh at that too. Especially since IF any of those "highly-skilled staff we depend on to maintain the complex registry service we provide" where to decide to leave with the board (how often does that happen except where those "highly-skilled staff" are simply family members given cushy jobs by the board members, and losing them is not exactly a loss), they have to give minimum 2 weeks notice anyway. Probably 3 months if their actually "highly-skilled". So you have plenty of time to get the new board in. No worries.

1. Steve 53

I was also wondering how many techies would actually feel they need to down tools if their CEO was deposed. I very much doubt they're going to have a mass exodus....

1. Falmari Silver badge
          Joke

"I was also wondering how many techies would actually feel they need to down tools if their CEO was deposed."

For me that might be just the incentive to actually pick up my tools and do some work. :)

2. General Purpose

CEO and board to staff: If we're forced out, you'll quit too, right?

Managers looking forward to being high-paid acting CEO etc: <big grin> Sure boss!

Techies looking forward to place getting back on track: <wide-eyed> Sure boss!

3. theOtherJT Silver badge

Majikthise: "You'll have a national philosophers strike on your hands!"

Deep Thought: "And who would that inconvenience?"

14. David Austin

They didn't listen until they were made to listen

They need to go, as the damage and consequences of them staying are far greater than them going.

15. Howard Sway Silver badge

You'll be nothing without me, I tell you...... nothing!

And then they will go, and everything will carry on just fine without them, proving that the huge paypacket they insisted on for their self proclaimed brilliance was completely unnecessary.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: You'll be nothing without me, I tell you...... nothing!

Atlas shrugged.

16. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

Cover up?

Anyone else beginning to think there's something going on at Nominet that they're desperate nobody finds out about? This definitely doesn't strike me as how innocent people behave, that's for sure. (That said, I am not a copper, nor do I play one on TV...)

1. Falmari Silver badge

Re: Cover up?

Could be a cover up or maybe it is exactly what it looks like.

A bunch of self-entitled arseholes who believe it is their right to ride this gravy train and the only way to get them off the train is to drag them off kicking and screaming.

17. N2
    Thumb Down

Just shows

What a pack of complete, utter rsoles they are.

I will haunt them when I die, along with HMRC, Dido Harding, Crapita and a long list of other miserable wasters.

1. Cynic_999

Re: Just shows

"

What a pack of complete, utter rsoles they are.

"

A pack of very wealthy rsoles who played he system to line their pockets. And will now delay getting the boot for as long as possible because every month that goes by is an additional paycheque.

The big question is whether they played within the rules or outside the rules. If the latter, they would be a pack of very wealthy *criminal* rsoles, and that would make it possible to recover some of the money they have taken.

18. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Google Bolsheviks

one of Nominet’s largest members, Google, has said

So how come Goog has inveigled it's loathly self into this organization ? Do they sedulously try and plant controls in every tiniest part of the Internet ?

In its letter to PublicBenefit.uk, the board says: “We invite you to withdraw your request for an EGM.”

For that insolence alone I would destroy them.

1. claimed Bronze badge

Re: Google Bolsheviks

It's a small fee... interestingly, seems like you can become a member for 50 quid at the moment So anyone wanting to take popcorn along who hasn't been to a show in a while...

https://www.nominet.uk/corporate-governance/members/

1. Lon24

Sorry to disappoint but you still have to pay £450. Only the sub is reduced from £100 to £50 for the half year. The one-off joining fee of £400 still applies. AFAIR VAT is added too.

2. Lon24

"So how come Goog has inveigled it's loathly self into this organization ? Do they sedulously try and plant controls in every tiniest part of the Internet ?"

They are a registry with 78k .uk domains.so they have to be a member to compete. The message is every time you register a .uk domain you empower that registry to act on your behalf with Nominet. It's never good to allow too much power to be accumulated by just a few with greater interests other than the uk internet community. Google, in this case, is probably doing the right thing by standing aside from this battle. I hope the other overseas biggies follow suit - if only for PR reasons.

The Nominet voting system does cap the influence of the biggies. But, perhaps, not enough.

A Nominet Member

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any Nominet employees read this stuff?

As the board seems to be populated with money-grabbing, self serving [expletive deleteds] surely there are some competent techhies there who may be unimpressed and have useful input - probably best to be AC!

Meanwhile nominet has deeper pockets than PublicBenefit and if there's a legal battle we all know what that means - at best draw the battle out for a few years, at worst outspend the competition so they're unable to keep going - rather entertainingly using monies the individual members helped generate.

Anyway, it could be worse, what if Dido Harding was CEO?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like