back to article Pat Gelsinger promises Intel can go back to the future – in memo to staff shared with world+dog

After completing nine years as CEO of VMware last week, Pat Gelsinger on Tuesday started work in the same job at Intel and prioritized delivering on promises and innovating quickly. Gelsinger expressed nostalgia for the chip maker's glory days in a memo to Intel employees that Chipzilla saw fit to share with the world. In the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The time in now

Remove all the dead wood and lifers contributing little and just taking the generous benefits - there'll be very few left!

The end is nigh

1. lafnlab

Re: The time in now

One person's dead wood is another's age-discrimination class action lawsuit.

2. Porco Rosso

Yep and in my humble opinion Intel should milk out the X86 platform

And surprise the world with a Intel range of top notch risc-v based system on a chip

Which are target at vertical market . (automotive, mobile, medical, etc)

with specific added modules like AI, GPU, integrated modems (give these specific add-ons modules a specific marketing name like they did with Core 3, 5 etc )

and start backing chips for OEMs like TSMC does for VW, Bosch, Nvidia, Sony, AWS, AZURE etc

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Speaking as a programmer, this sounds like a horrendous idea, at least for the PC market.

End-users would buy the PC and implicitly choose the features in the CPU. *Then* they'd buy my software. Then they'd find that they'd bought the wrong CPU. Then it would be my problem.

Hitherto, Intel have made pretty much every CPU feature (at some performance level) available on pretty much every chip they sel of a given generation and each generation preserves the features from previous ones. (Yes, I'm typing this on a Xeon box that lacks any kind of Intel GPU, so I'm aware of the edge cases in this line of argument.) That has meant that I've been able to "demand" support for MMX, SSE, AVX and their ilk over the years and customers have been largely oblivious to this "requirement".

As an engineer, this offends my sense of minimalism, but the economics of CPU making seems to be "pay squillions for the first one, all the rest are free", with such variants as there are emerging from QA rather than intentional manufacture, so (happily for my programmer self) I don't expect Intel to take up your suggestion.

2. sgp

I doubt Intel can make it work if it's not x86. Especially not if the new boss has had a hand in the 486. Not typing this on an Itanium powered machine.

3. NeilPost

Perhaps they can acquire Marvell and regain the IP they flogged 15 years ago in Intel StrongARM and XScale and actually have a mobile strategy and product-line ?!

2. steamnut

Better decisions?

Intel is where it is today because they had made a lot of poor decisions. They assumed that "wintel" would keep the gravy coming in and arrogantly assumed that the smaller companies like AMD and ARM would not dent their profits. Their foundry errors has put them back years and has allowed AMD to make larger inroads than they would like into their server markets. Even laptops with AMD are appearing. On mips per buck and power consumption AMD is winning a lot of new business while Intel rehashes chipsets into confusing products to try and keep sales going. Add to that the number of companies they have bought and sold in an almost desperate attempt to win sales in the next "big thing".

1. NeilPost

Re: Better decisions?

Intel XScale being a case study in this.

3. IGotOut Silver badge

Ahh the good old days..

..of monopoly abusing anticompetitive behaviour.

How they miss the good old days.

4. johnnyblaze

Personally, I'll never buy or recommend Intel again. They've treated their customers as cash cows for too long, with little or no innovation and a confusing product line. I'd like to see AMD eat a lot more of Intel's breakfast!

5. TimMaher Silver badge
    Joke

New fabrication plant

My guess is that they will decide to build their new plant in a snowbound Texas.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like