back to article LastPass to limit fans of free password manager to one device type only – computer or mobile – from next month

Password manager LastPass has changed its terms and conditions to limit the free version of its code work on a single device type only per user, seemingly in an effort to force free folks into paying for its service. In a blog post, the developer's vice president of product management, Dan DeMichele, said the biz needed to “ …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rebulid?

"rebuild their password database with a different service"

Export... import... done. It's really not that hard.

Bitwarden FTW. I switched from Lastpass 2 years ago.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: Rebulid?

Secret:

Any password-saving service that you need to "log on" to is not a security solution. All you're doing is passing your idea of "security management" off to someone else, someone who actually presents a larger footprint as a target for hacking than just doing it yourself. One hack, boom, you plus millions of other users have *all* their passwords comprised.

Just say no. Your passwords should NEVER go beyond your device unless and until YOU ask for it, for local-only backup or import.

1. James12345
        Facepalm

Great plan, but it doesn't really work in the real world, unless you are only using one device.

Or don't mind password reuse......

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

This may come as a bit of a surprise to you but you can manage passwords on your own devices. KeyPassX does the job nicely. It will also generate passwords that look like line-noise so you can have unique passwords for each service. You need a sync mechanism. In my case it's a Pi running NextCloud.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Two factor on Bitwarden (or lastpass) works fine thanks.

1. needmorehare

KeePass supports three-factor protection alongside not leaving the boundary of devices you control.

Bitlocker (via TPM) means something you have

Biometrics to cover something you are (to unwrap EFS)

Master password to cover something you know

Given that this software is securing all of your credentials to everything else, I think it's worth having the best possible security. That means LastPass is out of the question.

Running your own BitWarden server would potentially make the above possible too though, as you could use your TPM backed with Windows biometrics for an MFA layer for authenticating. In fact, one could use "where you are located" as an additional authentication factor if one never stores a local cache of the keychain... so in that sense, one could make BitWarden run more securely than even KeePass.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I vote for KeePassXC with cross-device sync using $cloudservice (having a cloudy database isn't a security problem because it'll always just be noise to the provider without the master password). I gather Bitwarden is a little more non-techie-friendly though.

1. D@v3

Re: KeePass

I was using KeePass for a while, and while it is quite good ( i still use it on a single device), i was getting frustrated by the manual synch i needed to do every time i updated my database to keep things working across many devices. Have moved to BitWarden a little over a year ago and have had no problems with it, mostly just seems to work and is still free. Not sure what the paid for version might give you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

bitwarden.com/pricing

that said, there's nothing stopping them from removing some free features, say self-hosting, to push people towards payment... If this move works for KeePass, all other solutions will follow. In fact, ironically, the rest of the bunch should wait till keepass free users migrate to their own free services, AND THEN do the same. I'm evil :(

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Like I say, no manual synch needed if you store the database on [One]Drive/Dropbox/(iCloud[?])/Other: it works seamlessly for me between devices. It's also cloud-agnostic, which can be useful if you decide you hate Google/Microsoft/Apple/Other and want to switch clouds/roll your own.

Or your own NextCloud. That way the sync doesn't depend on any external provider at all.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

(unless you count your ISP as an external provider :P)

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

I vote for KeePassXC with cross-device sync using $cloudservice

+1.

3. Alan Birtles

https://keeweb.info/ makes keepass pretty easy to use, setup google drive sync and then it works on any device

4. DM2012

XC looks decent for desktop. Which client would you recommend for Android devices?

1. DrewWyatt

I put my tip of the hat to "Keepass2Android Password Safe" from "Phillip Crocoll (Croco Apps)". Interfaces with my fingerprint reader and auto fills if asked. The way I have set it it up I use it on my phone, tablet, laptop and my wife's phone, and I can add a password from any device, and I get the update everywhere.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the Developer, this is just my opinion from personal use, your mileage may vary.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Export... import... done. It's really not that hard.

I think you HUGELY overestimate the stupidity and laziness of the mainstream population. Two clicks is better than three, one click better than two, no click to rule them all (with a credit card conveniently auto-billing).

4. Ozan

I dropped last pass moment they changed hands second time. I use Bitwarden self hosted right now (bitwared_rs implementation because it can work with a small server and SQLite database).

5. Ian 55

Switched to Bitwarden in 2017, when LastPass doubled the cost of the 'premium' version without increasing in any way what you got for it..

.. and just removing features from the free version.

2. bryces666

moving on

I use to pay for their service, but then they doubled the price one year (maybe 6 odd years ago) so I changed to their free service. Now I guess I move to another company. I'm open to hear your recommendations and why.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: moving on

++ for BitWarden because of its open source, support for self-hosting (not that I use it..) and ease, I support two 80+ year olds that work with it without problems.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Another easy solution is using Keypass and keeping the password db on your cloud of choice (with local backup), that way you can use it on any device (multiple desktop and mobile support, at least for android)

2. bryces666

Thanks, I've now switched to bitwarden. Very straight forward to use and liking it.

2. PeeKay

I'm also using Bitwarden (for years now) alongside my own server.

Means my passwords are mine and nobody else has access to them but me. :D

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: moving on: mSecure?

Started using mSecure on a Windows PC 10+ years ago; added an early iPhone, then switched to Mac desktop (iMac) and MacBook, later adding an iPad. Until recently, all were automagically synced via Dropbox; recently dropped Dropbox (m/c limitation for free account meant I could no longer use it as my default sync tool) and switched iCloud. Yes, it keeps files in the cloud, but they’re encrypted and I doubt I’d be worth targeting. There is an option to use sSeven’s own servers, but I reckon one file amongst a morass of others is less of a target than a server pooling numerous encrypted stores.

mSecure rarely gets a mention in articles and reviews of password apps - it deserves a mention (though, personally, I’m happy they keep a lower profile as that makes them a less valuable target.

4. Richard Cranium

Same story. I don't have a problem with paying a reasonable amount for decent software (I even pay for good apps where payment is a voluntary donation like IrfanView).

IIRC LastPass used to have a one-device limit and I used to pay to use on mobile as well as laptop. Then they removed that limitation on the free version but increased the price on the paid version which I no longer needed now the free version did what I need. As a home user the price is now too high for multi-device so I'll have to move. How odd. If they'd kept things as they were a few years ago I'd continue with Lastpass and pay a reasonable amount.

Isn't it the same people that pigged off LogMeIn users a few years ago?

3. steamnut

Classic ploy

I think that this is a classic bait and switch ploy. They already know that most users will be using more than one device. The most likely result will be customers moving to another product. How long before they change their mind to allow two devices at least? Did they really think that all of their users would simply cough up?

1. Sampler

Re: Classic ploy

Probably not all, but a percentage and that's all they care about, it doesn't affect the current paying base, so no revenue lost, so the percentage growth from the free base plus cost saved on the free base that pivot.

I mean, it's a shot in the foot for future customer acquisition in trade off for the gamble of turning some free customers now as people will no longer be recommending the product or trying it before they buy unlike the competitors.

But I suppose the market is small to start with, given it does what Google already does, so you have to be IT literate enough to not trust Google to store your passwords in chrome and CC details in pay, but not literate enough to know password managers are a bad idea (this last bit will probably not win me any friends).

1. doublelayer Silver badge

"so you have to be [...] not literate enough to know password managers are a bad idea (this last bit will probably not win me any friends)."

Care to elaborate? Password managers are juicy targets, and thus they pose a risk to an attacker. Therefore, if you had said something like "Monolithic hosted password managers are a bad idea", I'd be behind you. However, you weren't that clear and if you meant that all password managers are a bad idea, I must disagree. A local password manager means people stop using the same password or multiple weak ones. That's so frequently an avenue for attack that it's probably worth doing something about it. If you have a reason they're a bad idea, you could lay out the details about why so we could debate them or agree and find a solution.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"you have to be IT literate enough to not trust Google to store your passwords in chrome and CC details in pay,"

As mentioned by another, my password manager uses local storage only. I paid for it, but there's no way I will ever pay a subscription for software. I actually have three different password managers on my mobile: the paid one I use, and two cloudy ones I evaluated for other people. I deleted a few evaluation ones as well.

"but not literate enough to know password managers are a bad idea"

Huh? I don't know that. Auuuuuuuggggggggggghhh!!!

My password manager has over 500 passwords, all strong and all unique. I even have some saved passwords belonging to friends and family, given to me in my unpaid support role, which I keep against the day their password system stops working for them, and I'm asked to help with *that*. (And theirs are typically neither strong nor unique, but I'm not fighting that battle.) So please enlighten me how I'm supposed to manage all those passwords without a password manager?

1. yoganmahew

@yetanotheraoc

A sharpened quill and a fireproof safe?

1. iGNgnorr

"A sharpened quill and a fireproof safe?"

That might need wheels if you intend using it with that computing device in your pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: given it does what Google already does

google already tries to prod its services users towards paid solutions. If the market turns this way, i.e. switching from "FREE bait" to "now you pay OR ELSE!", google will be in the forefront.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

This is a classic ploy that has doomed huge chunks of software and internet services to being low quality adware/spyware. Give it away for free for too long and people expect it to stay that way.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If they aren't paying customers, then they aren't loosing anything. If they go to another product and don't like it, they are likely to come back as a paying customer.

From a business perspective they have challenged freeloaders to find something better or be a customer. or only leach a little - lol

4. GraXXoR

The password version of Evernote

Evernote has likewise been tightening the noose around its free service for years.

This kind of thing only really works when your software has a niche monopoly, though… since otherwise there are alternatives that offer similar feature sets including, in some cases, open source alternatives.

1. PeeKay

Re: The password version of Evernote

In the case of Evernote, consider Joplin (https://joplinapp.org)

5. chris_79

Interestingly enough, as of 2pm AEDST, their online renewal portal is down. Whether it is due to the number of people renewing or otherwise. This instills so much confidence in me to continue my service, it really does...

6. hoopsa

Well I suppose they have to make money somehow, although I must admit I was a bit startled to read about the way they're doing it this morning.

I've been using Lastpass for a good number of years now. I'm sure that I used to pay for the ability to use it on more than one computer back in the old days.

Having said that, it feels like a matter of principle to move when they break existing functionality and force you to pay to get it back, even though it's not a huge amount of money.

Maybe I'll check out Bitwarden, unless anyone has other suggestions.

1. hoopsa

So, I installed Bitwarden and it was easy to import my lastpass data and 2FA and it seems to work very nicely.

However the Import did screw up some of my bank account and social security numbers (by omitting some fields - it imported notes, but not bsb and account number, for example) so if you have that sort of thing stored, go and check that it’s all there before you kill lastpass off.

7. sansva

Alternatives

Install f-droid and search for "password manager". The top two entries (according to most recently updated) are NC Password which interfaces with Nextcloud Passwords "Passwords is the most advanced password manager for Nextcloud and allows you to manage and store your passwords safely in your own cloud."

The other is KeePassDX which works with KeePass-format password entries, so you could use it with KeePass on your desktop. "KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Passwords is the most advanced password manager for Nextcloud

and I'm Adolf H and I can prove it!

2. Zimmer
      Joke

Re: Alternatives

I've nearly run out of Post-it Notes (yellow, V 1.0) so next I'll be going for the upgrade,

Post-it Notes (pink, V2.4)...

For back up I use MyPasswordsBook (the dog-eared edition, circa 2001).........

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye LastPass.

Saw this first thing this morning, did fifteen minutes of research ended up on Bitwarden so logged into LastPass, downloaded CSV file of passwords, created Bitwarden account imported LastPass export installed clients on laptop, phone and iPad & setup multi factor authentication all in around 20 minutes. Stupidly easy. LastPass may be better but not so much better I am going to go reward this type of bait and switch approach. In this market when switching is so easy trying this type of manoeuvre is going to loose you a lot of support very quickly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Goodbye LastPass.

Yep. Did exactly the same. Ever since logmein took over IMO they seem to have put as little as possible into it and tried to milk as much as possible from it. I've no objection to paying for quality software and have many paid-for apps but paying a company with this kind of attitude to its customers - not a chance.

2. mdava

Re: Goodbye LastPass.

I did the same - didn't take very long and now I am a Bitwarden user.

As an aside, I would much rather pay Bitwarden $10 a year than LastPass $3 a month. Both are essentially trivial, but one feels much more reasonable than the other in some way.

9. chololennon

Software as a service? no way

I still prefer my beloved PasswordSafe (https://pwsafe.org/). The encrypted database can be shared across devices (PCs, mobiles) via a simple copy or, if you can afford an extra risk, via MEGA or other (uncrypted) cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox. The program is available in all platforms including Linux (via a native client or a WINE one).

1. Jay 2

Re: Software as a service? no way

Another Password Safe/pwSafe user here. I use a combination of both via iCLoud and Dropbox to sync various macOS, iOS and Win devices. I have no problems paying for the macOS/iOS clients. But $36 a year(!) to store some passwords for 2+ devices, that does sound a bit OTT.

I've always avoided LastPass as not only don't I trust their somewhat centralised model (and their suspect security) but also pretty much everything they touch seems to either turn to shit or shortly starts to cost a lot more...

2. Steve Lloyd

Been using PasswordSafe for 15 years very happily. I use DriveSync to sync with my phone.

It never seems to be mentioned in reviews of Password software, probably because it's free.

1. Boufin

Another happy PasswordSafe user (on desktop and with Android port), but only for about 10 years. I manually sync the file between devices once per month (or more often if I create a new login that I need). Would not trust any cloud server with that file.

10. jonathan keith

KeePass + Cloud storage of your choice. Problem solved.

1. julian.smith
      Happy

Be sure to send some $upport to Keepass occasionally

11. Aaiieeee

I only have the LastPass phone app for the once-in-a-blue-moon-need-a-password-on-the-go events so this won't bother me too much.

I undertand they need to make money from the service but I won't ever pay for it, I use it in part because it is free, so wil move if the noose gets too tight.

A key principal in cloud is data mobility so as long as any service allows proper import/export this isn't a big deal.

12. Mariah Carey's fake legs

It's not bait and switch

That's when there is no free/ cheap deal to start with (only advertised as such). And why does everyone have such a problem with paying for software, or a service? It's undoubtedly been worked on for a long time by many skilled people who deserve to be paid. Somewhere along the line we've all become over-entitled and expect everything to be free. We should pay for it's value. I guess we could blame Google.

1. needmorehare
      Linux

It is. Also, to answer your question...

The whole point of an economy is to economise, as in, to reduce overall cost over time until the product/service is free. Trade is but one vehicle for lowering costs toward the goal of making a given class of product free. Sometimes, breakthroughs mean that entire classes of product go from expensive to essentially free overnight. Personal password management is one such example.

Some clever folks at Stanford invented a solution 15 years ago (called pwdhash) which is super effective, free and doesn't require any passwords to be stored electronically in the first place.It doesn't need any regular maintenance and the algorithm can on a toaster these days. It has permanently resolved the problem of needing to remember different passwords for every service one uses, you just memorise one master password and that's it. Even if your computer breaks, you're peachy as long as you don't forget that one password. pwdhash clients have been implemented for just about every platform, for free and are easy to install and use.

So why should anybody pay for a password manager when this is a solved problem? Sure, the algorithm might want tweaking one day... but the problem at an individual level is solved.

Don't blame Google. Blame the economy for working as designed. Only sociopaths in suits try to prevent people from making things free as in both cost and freedom.

1. MJB7

Re: PwdHash

PwdHash hashes your master password with the domain name of the web site. It's a clever idea, but it fails when, for example, eBay has a data breach and forces everyone to do a password reset. Then you have to remember a _diffferent_ master password for eBay.

13. AJ MacLeod

I happened to notice LastPass was pre-installed on a new HP laptop I set up yesterday... anything that's part of the pre-installed bloatware package is seriously suspect in my view!

Personally I only really trust "pass" (passwordstore.org) as I can understand what it's doing. It's also minimalist and the most convenient password manager I've ever used. For situations where multiple people need to share password stores or widespread sync is required, bitwarden_rs seems to work well - I've never really felt comfortable with other people hosting my most sensitive data and self-hosting really isn't difficult.

14. ppmm

LastPass's email support (for paid users) seems worse than useless - they respond with non-sequiturs weeks after your request - it's like being trolled, but really really slowly.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The same is true for almost all password managers

BUT NOT FOR LONG....!!!! (from Horrible Histories ;)

16. jonha

KeePass(XC,2Android)

I run KeePass on Android, Linux and Windows. Add a cloud service or, if available, your web space, and a little sprinkling of discipline (yeah, so old-fashioned) in updating this... works superbly and has given me 100% peace of mind for years now.

17. krismach

LessPass

Just switched to a stateless password manager lesspass.com. Much better anyway, as the passwords are not stored anywhere.

Re: LessPass

The immediate problem with that is that it generates the passwords on the fly form data such as login ID. One function of KeyPass and, presumably others, is to store not only the password but the login ID and maybe other needed information - such as the exact URL and other stuff such as answers to security questions.

1. needmorehare
        Thumb Up

In the main that's no longer an issue

Thankfully, developers now base logins on email addresses and/or phone numbers, obviating the need to use IDs/usernames. With webauthn on the rise and the ability for Secure Enclave and TPM-backed 2FA to be deployed, the only thing left to store is the URL.. which browsers have done for a very long time anyway. With PWAs, folks click on "apps" rather than navigate to URLs anyway.

Additionally. security questions are being phased out as a bad security practice in favour of multi-factor password reset mechanisms, such as requiring users to click a link in their email to then confirm an SMS code which has been sent to their phone.

18. Korgonzolla

Got the email from Lastpass yesterday. Signed up for Bitwarden, and 15 minutes later I had imported my password list from Lastpass, installed apps on iOS, Windows and Linux, configured 2FA, and installed the browser extension on Firefox. Trivially easy process.

19. Wenlocke

I wouldn't mind paying what they're asking, if only they'd have a bloody "pay monthly" option rather than "quote you per month, force you to pay per year."

That one always gets my goat.

20. Fonant
    Thumb Up

Bitwarden

Bitwarden. That's all.

21. John Robson Silver badge

6 times the use for 1.3* the cost

"$3 a month (or $4 a month for the six-user family option)."

That's ridiculous. I can understand "buy four get two free, or even, every additional linked account is 50%, but 5 extra accounts for 1/15th the price of the first one seems rather like gouging individuals to me.

If they are really saying that 90% of their cost is in payment handling then they really need to work on a better way to handle payments.

1. MJB7

Re: 6 times the use for 1.3* the cost

No, they are guessing that only one person in a household will be clued up enough to want a password manager, but they can get that person to pay an extra 30% by allowing them to give it to significant other, children, parents, etc.

The price of something is what somebody will pay for it; not what it costs to produce.

22. Steve 53

"The service is the best on the market for free users"

I would dispute that; Bitwarden has very few restrictions around free users, and charge much more reasonable annual fees for the limited premium features (Mostly advanced 2FA and TOTP). Some users sign up for premium just to support the developers.

While on a feature checkbox it's not quite got everything lastpass has, there are very few things missing. And generally, bitwarden executes the features it does have much better. When I left lasspass a few years ago, I didn't feel it had had any meaningful enhancements for years.

Lastpass is basically private equity trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of their users, hence price rises and policy changes...

1. jonathan keith

Re: "The service is the best on the market for free users"

You know that a product's death knell has been sounded once the private equity leeches jam their money funnels into it. Bleed it dry for short-term gain and leave some other poor bastard saddled with a mountain of debt to try to clean up the consequences. Fucking vampire capitalists.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Winrar

LastPass is good enough for me that I paid for it.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the change are still running WinRAR as a trial...?

No plans to switch.

1. Boothy

Re: Winrar

Why use WinRAR in this day and age? Just install 7-zip instead!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Winrar

>Why use WinRAR in this day and age?

I seem to remember having to install WinRAR because it better supported the creation of .tgz files on Windows that could be read by Unix/Linux systems.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I look after my own damn passwords

I'm obviously in a tiny minority here, but I don't give my passwords to third parties to look after. I have a VeraCrypt folder on my encrypted hard drive that holds encrypted documents for each password along with any associated information such as account numbers etc. It is a minor faff opening the encrypted files in the encrypted VeraCrypt folder but only I have access to them.

The data is also backed up monthly to VeraCrypt encrypted USB sticks stored in my garage.

As for trivial stuff, such as my El Reg login, I just let Firefox store that.

1. Tessier-Ashpool

Re: I look after my own damn passwords

Not exactly a cross-device solution, though, is it? I expect most people have multiple devices these days, and a need for convenient syncing.

25. ewan 3

I actively want to pay!

I'm actually glad about this, I've used them for a number of years and think the service is great. It's always concerned me that even tho I was relatively keen to pay there was literally no feature of premium I needed, so didn't pay. This way they're securing the companies future. All good with me. 23 quid a year is hardly going to break the bank for the value I place on their service.

1. Tessier-Ashpool

Re: I actively want to pay!

No subscriptions for me, thanks. All these little subs add up. I will, however, happily pay for new versions of apps if they provide something useful. That doesn’t include paying for bug fixes: I bought something, if it’s buggy it needs fixing free of charge.

I have....

Paid-for version of 1Password (no subscription - they don’t make the download easy to find, though).

Mostly iCloud Keychain (free) is good enough for web passwords.

Affinity equivalents of Photoshop and Illustrator, very reasonably priced, no subscription.

26. mikeymac

Discount link

Here's a link to the discount, for any interested: https://www.lastpass.com/buy/premium

27. Drew Scriver

Family of 7 = too big?

"or $4 a month for the six-user family option"

Somehow that feels discriminatory toward larger families. I understand that creating an unlimited family-option might result in some fraud, but the same argument could be made regardless of the limit.

But hey, at least they didn't limit it to one child per family like World Population Balance advocates...

28. AskJarv

I'd happily give them money for a useful service if it seemed like they could get simple things right - I am constantly running into glitches in the UI that breaks buttons (most notably if I have multiple logins for a single page in the chrome extension the buttons will move on mouse over making them impossible to click - a one line CSS fix (injected using another chrome extension fixes it fortunately...) But the issue persists for 6 months and support will only acknowledge the issue and not resolve) - unfortunately for Lastpass this is a competitive market area and I'm happy to swap to another option rather than pay for a wobbly app that doesn't demonstrate value for money when considered as an annual 'service'.

29. This post has been deleted by its author

1. douglasac10

Re: Hey guys password managers are not safe

I'm also more likely to lose said notepad vs. someone managing to guess my 20+ character complex master password used by me nowhere else and getting the 2FA code from my phone to be able to log in and decrypt the contents of my password manager.

30. VulcanV5

Sticking to the truth . . .

Of course, he could've said:

"We're not a charity but a business. We employ people and contribute to local regional and national economies, so really, we're good guys. Yes, yes, I know we're also Very Stupid Guys, too, to have paid more than we should've done for LastPass -- wowee, $4.3 billion, but hey, private equity firms exist on the basis of making lousy judgments and hoping to profit long-term from exponential growth and exponential profits. That such ain' t happening where we are is hardly our fault.. $4.3 beeellion has gone down the tube with nothing to show for it. So, c'mon peeps, time to open your wallets: pay us a ridiculous amount per month or that's it, we'll bugger up your life."

To which the response could / should be: 'Hey Dan. All this crap about 'adapting offerings to keep up with an ever evolving digital world' but absolutely no mention of pricing and exorbitant monthly fees? Well, there's an outfit called Sticky Password which works pretty well, and every few months or so runs a special offer for lifetime subscriptions that's far greater value for money than LastPass with its grubby monthly charges. Just thought you might like to know."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon