back to article SHAREit app for Android said to share way too much: Billion-download code with holes no one wants to fix

Trend Micro has published a report claiming that data-sharing Android app SHAREit, which has over a billion downloads, contains multiple vulnerabilities after the app's maker ignored advice to fix the flaws. In a blog post published on Monday, Trend Micro researchers Echo Duan and Jesse Chang describe a series of …

1. JWLong

For Free

All of this brought to you by an ad company.

I never would have guessed that to be true!

/S

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

com.lenovo.anyshare.app.DefaultReceiver

The full name of the .apk suggests this app may have something to do with Lenovo but the developer listed is Smart Media4U Technology out of Singapor?

#Source: https://www.sgpbusiness.com/company/Smart-Media4u-Technology-Pte-Ltd

"Registration No. / Unique Entity Number: 201733908K

SMART MEDIA4U TECHNOLOGY PTE. LTD. (the "Business") is a Private Company Limited by Shares, incorporated on 24 November 2017 (Friday) in Singapore. The address of the Business's registered office is at the VISION EXCHANGE building. The Business current operating status is live and has been operating for 3 years 74 days. The Business's principal activity is development of other software and programming activities n.e.c. with advertising activities as the secondary activity. "

Whatssup with the name?

1. FILE_ID.DIZ

Re: com.lenovo.anyshare.app.DefaultReceiver

When I was reading the article, the name was tugging at something in the back of my mind.

Sure enough, this was a Lenovo app and it was for Windows and Android. It looks like it was discontinued.

Not sure what happened between 2017 and now.

3. RM Myers
    FAIL

Billion-download code with holes no one wants to fix

Every time I think the security news can't get any worse, El Reg proves me wrong. We have long since passed from the sublime to the ridiculous.

We're doomed.

4. YetAnotherJoeBlow

A great tool

A fly on the wall told me that it originally started life as bloatware to push apps - now it is a handy app to check for if you are a malware developer and use its services. A real Swiss army knife so to speak - I do not think this is what was meant by reusable code...

5. sgp

So now Google will pull it from it's app store, right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like