back to article Linus Torvalds releases Linux 5.11, says it's so good your significant other wants you to test it on Valentine's Day

Linus Torvalds has delivered version 5.11 of the Linux kernel to the faithful. "Nothing unexpected or particularly scary happened this week, so here we are - with 5.11 tagged and pushed out, Torvalds said in his weekly state of the kernel post. Big inclusions in this release include support for Intel’s Software Guard …

1. json

I see no comments

.. I guess most people had the good sense to give appropriate attention to cooking valentines dinner. It's already the 15th where I'm at so..

1. sreynolds

Re: I see no comments

One of my colleges traveled from Sydney to Auckland, and told us that the pilot announced up arrival: "Welcome to Auckland, for those of you on Sydney time please remember to put your clock forwards two hours and your calendars back twenty years". I think that had something to do with some twenty year old "Holden" taxi that was at the airport. I could be wrong. Choice eh bro? Weally choice.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I have no idea what you're talking about.

2. Snowy Silver badge
        Joke

Or the pilot was a Frankie Boyle fan “As the plane lands in Glasgow airport, passengers are reminded to set their watch back 25 years.” Frankie Boyle

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bit cheeky by an Aussie pilot. Try Melbourne for Victorian attitudes.

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Unhappy

What Valentine's Dinner?

Our romantic seafood dinner at our favourite restaurant was cancelled due to re-lockdown in Victoria.

Might as well muck about with the kernel, I s'pose.

1. MGyrFalcon
      Joke

Re: What Valentine's Dinner?

‘...muck about with the kernel...’, is that what passes for foreplay with your partner? ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

With that attitude, one wonders how the Torvalds' children came to be?

Or if his wife Tove, a former Finnish national karate champion, keeps him in line.

1. Danny 2

"a former Finnish national karate champion, keeps him in line"

No, Cato, this isn't the time

I had a Finnish anarchist FOSS "significant other" - I still failed to persuade her to use Linux.

2. Diogenes

My sympathies good Sir.

I am not sure if you would appreciate the following

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/48ea8c047278a0eb4998477507c629f0

3. Zolko Silver badge
    Linux

End of History ?

Is it me or isn't there anything new happening since a long time in the Linux Kernel ?

When will they make user-land drivers ? I know there is a performance penalty, but some people might prefer the added security to not include unknown binary blobs to a small performance hit ... especially if it's in the network driver, where the bottleneck is not in the computer anyway. So one could compile drivers into the kernel (x), as module (m) or as userland driver (u).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: End of History ?

Most drivers are for USB devices and already in userland.

1. Zolko Silver badge

"Most" ... I was rather thinking about the WiFi chipset, or the graphics chipset when talking about binary blobs. Any news on userland drivers for those ?

1. teknopaul

not sure userland network drivers is a good idea. io_uring is where the cool kids are at.

If you care about etreme perf, because everything is open source, people can hack custom logic into drivers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

depends from country

"The Register hopes that enough of the world is vaccinated that Easter 2021 becomes an excellent opportunity to take a break from kernel development and whatever else occupies your time! ®"

It really depends from your residential country. If you're, like me, in France, then no way you're getting it before coming christmas.

Nice release though. I didn't know Wimax was already dead in the water, though I know it was agonizing.

5. Greg 38

Just keep the fixed things fixed and Linus can shove his complaints up his sweary backside

I for one and tired of Linus' over the top histrionics about careless developers crossing some imaginary line in imaginary head when he can't keep his own garden free of weeds. For FRICKIN YEARS I have dealt with the SND_HDA_INTEL module get screwed up during suspend and needing to do the "horror of linux horrors", reboot the computer to resolve it. It would be fixed with one kernel update and then screwed up yet again with the next. I've got a few choice and sweary words along with two big, fat fingers for him if Linus can't manage to keep fixes in place during kernel updates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like