back to article The next departure leaves in... have you thought about a Microsoft 365 subscription?

You can't beat that factory-fresh smell except, it appears, when waiting for both a bus and somebody to finish setting up Windows 10 on a rainy Scottish evening. Today's display in dismay was spotted by a Register reader on an essential journey to Glasgow's Braehead shopping centre. It is usually to be found showing bus times …

1. PeeKay

Not just bus stops

The last Windows update applied to my laptop took me back through the setup step - particularly the ones I had previously disabled.

Expect more borkage in the future if they continue down this slippery slope.

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: Not just bus stops

Yeap, we've seen it a lot on updates when machines don't have an MS account linked to them.

So any machine running on a local account - "We see you aren't linked to an ms account, if you don't want to do this we won't include a 'no' option, just an 'ask me later' option"

1. NATTtrash
        Mushroom

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda status=progress

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Yeah, let me know when solidworks has a *nix version.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

12 pound lump hammer would be quicker and more effective!

2. Blofeld's Cat

I think the latest Sequential Art cartoon sums up this process very nicely.

https://www.collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php?s=1183

This one is SFW, but some of the site's other content is probably NSFW.

1. Dante Alighieri
        Happy

Reminds me a bit of Sleaze Castle with some of the surreal stuff. (print only so can't link)

Thanks for the link (I think)

Just lost four hours of my life - and very enjoyable too.

agree NSF(some places of)W in places

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Just lost four hours of my life - and very enjoyable too.

I was a bit perplexed by this comment.

Until I realised that you weren't talking about grappling with Windows Updates, et al.

3. Kispin

I followed the certified M$ instructions on how to get rid of that setup screen.....didn't work (as expected)

And of course it blocks everything!

More fuel for my 'Windows is only for Games' bonfire! If Linux played all my games I wouldn't bother with Windows at all due to stuff like this

1. Sudosu Bronze badge

I'm dual booting my games machine now and using Linux if the games are supported...Steam is pretty good for that nowadays.

4. Martin an gof Silver badge

So, as someone (partly) in charge of a fleet of public-facing machines that currently don't run W10 but are being required to 'upgrade' sometime soon, how do I avoid this? It seems as if only the LTS version of Enterprise can be upgrade-free, which presumably has implications for our licence fees?

Last thing we need is to come in on a Saturday morning to find half our machines have upgraded overnight and need some kind of 'user input' before getting down to their (very simple) day jobs.

M.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not the solution to everything, but have you tried running your app under Wine on a linux box? I've had some good success over the past few months moving some legacy windows only packages onto embedded linux platforms (pi/raspbian, and Intel nuc's with Mint20), and I by no means regards myself as any sort of expert or penguinista. If the range of functionality of your app is fairly limited it may well work out of the box. I've been impressed by how well it works. Linux platforms have the great advantage that you can just clone the hdd to install in new machines for rollout without going through the pain of registration/activation/licences, etc.

Windows 10 and MS's current attitude is likely to be the downfall of MS in many areas, IMHO, other than conventional desktop/office application, and even there many alternative are readily feasible for much less stress.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
          Meh

Sorry, late. Yes we did try that. Some of the bespoke applications rely on bespoke device drivers for things such as USB dongle "keys" for copy protection and wouldn't even work natively under Windows 7, nor even a Windows XP VM under Windows 7. Under Wine, other applications did work, but with enough "foibles" to be irritating. I need to investigate central administration of Linux clients before recommending Wine as a solution where it does work and I'm no expert either, just a slightly technical "user".

The one thing I would really like to get working properly under Wine is Xara. The basics work, but the thing is extremely laggy (slower under Wine on my Ryzen 7 than it was under Windows 7 on my A10) and out-of-kilter; that is, menus and in particular drag-handles aren't active where you expect them to be. Quite a lot of other minor display issues (wrong colour menu text, things spilling off the toolbar, that sort of thing) mean that I can only run it in a Windows 10 VM on Linux, which sorts most of the display issues out, but does nothing for the speed.

M.

5. Blackjack Silver badge

Everything that I need of Windows and works more or less OK there I have moved to Wine.

It does help that is mostly old games, VLC since the Linux version has problems, and a few old programs.

2. spireite Silver badge
    Coat

Blue death......

I believe some buses are blue, or have a substantial element of it.......

In that case, and if going to the less salubrious areas of Glasgow.... is it then showing the Blue Bus of Death on screen (when it works)

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Blue Bus of Death

Is this an extension of Jim Morrison's Blue Bus, where the trip is the reason to board it, rather than the destination?

3. FatGerman
    FAIL

Not necessarily fresh

Recent versions of Windows will periodically pop up that nag screen after a reboot. It was only the last major update that had an option to prevent it from doing so. Really effing annoying when you're trying to automate things.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will no-one make the obvious comment?

"It's a bus error!"

No-one? Am I really that old?

1. AndrewB57

Re: Will no-one make the obvious comment?

Ah, you'll be the one who changed the jumpers we were using as goasl posts

I'll get my coat

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bus error! Driver terminated.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

An OmniBusShambles in fact.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like