back to article After 7 months and 500 million kilometres, the Emirates Mars Mission has to endure 27 nail-biting minutes of engine burn

The United Arab Emirates' "Hope" probe is due to reach Mars orbit tomorrow (9 February) and give engineers and scientists their very own 27 minutes of tension. Before the science can begin, the probe must fire its engines in order to drop into orbit. The spacecraft's six engines are expected to run for 27 minutes from 1930 GST …

1. Forget It
    Facepalm

That's why its called Hope

isn't it?

1. RM Myers
      Happy

Re: That's why its called Hope

Any mission to Mars needs Hope. AmanfromMars does not take kindly to uninvited guests.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

In which case they should be called The Silver Locusts.

2. Annihilator

Funny isn't it, "Hope" seems like a perfectly reasonable name. If they'd named it "Fingers Crossed..." you'd probably question the optimism of the engineers behind the project.

2. Ashto5

Love all this space exploration

You can not get enough space exploration

Let’s get to the moon again before I die and let’s aim for Mars as soon as possible

As a species we need to get off this rock just in case dint what to be a dinosaur

1. Shadowmanx2012

Re: Love all this space exploration

"As a species we need to get off this rock just in case dint what to be a dinosaur"

They naysayers would say stop "wasting" money on space research when we need it down here to feed starving children/save the planet/fight climate change and so on. To which I would reply, every child leaves home eventually, this is Mankind's home and we really should start thinking seriously about leaving it!

1. tip pc Silver badge

I think we should do both.

There are many ways of saving many children that can be done but aren't. They don't cost much either. Ending wars, clean drinking water, non exploitive trade that may cost more than buying from subsidised china but actually pays a living wage to a family in a poor country. As has been seen we can do space too. need to develop more propellent technology & start biospheres in space like in the start of silent running

https://youtu.be/p69lEMn0I8k?t=19

1. Flywheel
          FAIL

many ways of saving many children that can be done but aren't

Getting the Government of the country of the children that need to be saved to take responsibility would be a good first step. Ask yourself and others why Oxfam is still here after 78 years. Has nothing been learnt in that time other than there are an inordinate number of people willing to give money while [insert despot here] visits global arms fairs and spends his country's wealth.

2. rcxb Silver badge

Let’s get to the moon again before I die

How would you feel about being propelled directly into the surface? Quite precisely satisfies your requirements and needs less fuel with not slowing down to get into orbit, or for the return journey. Two birds, one stone and all.

1. very angry man

yes please pick me!

3. aregross
    Thumb Up

Moar Please!

"...according to Al Matroushi. "Whenever there is an opportunity for collaboration, we tend to go ahead with it," she laughed."

What a refreshing comment, if only more people would think like that!

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Re: Moar Please!

The off the shelf parts stood out for me, shows how far we've come. Think it's time I had a rummage in the garage to see what I can knock together :)

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Forget garage... I'll have a rummage through my cables box and that drawer in the kitchen...!

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I bought my house from a retired aerospace engineer who worked on SAM missiles. The garage was full of interesting pilfered items. I've kept one of the gyros.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Looks like they made it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55998848

5. WereWoof

I just hope

That they do not suddenly hear "This is the voice of the Mysterons"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like