back to article Xiaomi a Snapdragon 888 flagship for €749: Yep, the Mi 11 is rolling out to world outside China

Xiaomi has launched its first flagship blower of 2021 for the global market: the Xiaomi Mi 11, competing directly with the Galaxy S21, which has a slower processor and smaller screen. At €749 (Europe pricing, UK pricing is not yet available) and with the latest processor, the Chinese firm will be hoping punters pick it over …

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

No punchhole please

I've decided not to buy any new smartphone until they get rid of that ugly punch-hole notch in the display. I want a uninterrupted display with no blemishes for a camera or sensor.

They can either solve it with a pop-up camera or under-display camera, I don't care.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: No punchhole please

To be fair, it's in the "status bar" area at the top of the phone, and if my Redmi Note 9 is anything to go by, the screen area on running apps starts below that.

In other words, you don't even notice it's there.

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Could be, but I think it's unsightly.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

In practice, it looks just like another icon in the status area, or you don't see it at all, because that part of the screen is black, and so is the lens. It did seem like a design oddity when I first saw it, but I can't say I ever actually notice it now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems that these Chinese companies are throwing out regular mobile phone hardware updates, almost every month.

The main thing that should matter to buyers is: how short a time are these phones going to see software updates for? You need firmware updates for the phone itself and then android security updates. XiaoMi and Oppo do NOT excel in this area.

Another thing of importance is to consider what Chinafication is happening when you use the phone. I have enabled Wireshark on the WiFi network to determine what is happening with my XiaoMi Mi 8 and 9 and can see a lot of traffic to Chinese IP addresses. Double digit megabytes per day. Normal consumers should care about this, it's really important! The truth is that we just don't know what personal information is being sent to Chinese companies, with close links to the CCP government.

As somebody who works in Security I have to use an iPhone. Why? The CVEs are quickly eradicated and they have less of a hardware line up to consider. I would actually prefer to use android, LineageOS, GrapheneOS or /E/ (stupid name, please change it Duval) but unfortunately for a normal user to understand the hardware lifecycle and the software security lifecycle is almost impossible. It differs between manufacturers and brands, and that's before we even get to how Google seem to infiltrate every aspect of the android experience to take data without permission and impose difficulty ceasing this action. Every time you use assisted GPS (A-GPS) your location and IP address are sent to Google servers. When I contrast this, in corporate analysis, with Apple, we can easily opt-out as a corporate entity from all of Apple's tracking and use of this tracking to sell the data to third parties. We can't do this with google, as google don't even allow us to opt-out.

I don't trust Google, but I sure as hell true anonymous Chinese IP addresses less. They could be doing the same thing, but the traffic is encrypted and I couldn't determine what was being sent daily to these Chinese IP addresses.

But feel free to go and waste £750 on a 'flagship' Chinese phone that will have software issues within the year, lack of Security updates too, and likely hardware issues within 2 years. Then you'll go and stupidly buy another one within two years anyway! You pay a lot for a flagship phone and then your data is also sold off to google. Why do this when you can pay a lot for a flagship phone and not have your data monetised by using Apple phones? I'm no fanboi, just a Security expert whose focus is on Security solely, so please consider that before flaming.

Insane.

Also insane that no other western manufacturers offer an alternative to good Security than Apple! Come on competition, do your thing!

1. low_resolution_foxxes

There are perfectly decent £200 Xiaomi phones on Amazon. More than enough for the average punter.

Though saying that, I am a heathen who is just blissfully happy with his Huawei P30. If only for the price, headphone jack and ability to delete the true enemy, Facebook Messenger.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I have to say, much as I hate Apple*, one thing they do get pretty much right is security.

*This dates back to being forced to use the old "Macintosh" machines, before they decided to call them "Macs", which were horrible beige boxes with a one-button mouse that was shaped like a shoe box. At the time, I had a Win98 PC at home, for which the UI was much more intuitive and responsive. Which idiot thought that the best idiom for ejecting a disk would be to drag the icon for it to the waste bin? This, plus every single advert they put out is so aggravating it makes me want to throw the TV out of the window.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like