back to article Looking for an IT person? Searching for a job? Sign up for free ads – or browse through these job openings

We're doing our bit to keep techies tech'ing with free job listings for anyone looking to hire such skills in the midst of these testing times. If you're looking to hire IT folk anywhere on the planet, send your vacancies this way and we'll list them for free. To be clear, that's free meaning no money. Just free advertising …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Every job seems to be described as world class and cutting edge, but in reality most are just software brickying - putting one brick on top of another to make a wall. What's more important is finding out if the bosses have any clue what a wall is, or if the plans for the building are going to change after every two layers of brick.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

It would be nice to see a world class and cutting edge salary offering to back it all up. I’ll have whatever the CEO is on and I don’t mean the substance

The classic spew these adverts have is stuff like “due to expansion we are recruiting” blah blah

In essence, the truth of it is, someone is leaving, they’ve had a fucking nuff and they need a replacement

Like I said, I’ll have what ever the CEO is on, and I dont mean the substances...

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Maybe the MBA trained CEO can chip in

Considering the obscene amounts of money they seem to demand, they fucking better be multidisciplinary

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...but in reality most are just software brickying - putting one brick on top of another to make a wall"

Never had an issue picking up a new skill or technology, but most job adverts seem to reel off lists of skills which makes me wonder just who is out there that ticks all the boxes.

Have 25 years of development experience, with around 18 years of Java. Out of work now for 5 months, with not a single interview for jobs applied.

Yes, if I were an actual brickie, then, it really would be a case of walking into the next job.

No idea how a couple Java Developer role searches came up with matches for a delivery driver and another for a gas fitter - received those in the last couple of weeks by email - I may just end up walking away from this IT lark and get behind the wheel - at least it will bring some money in

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I may just end up walking away from this IT lark and get behind the wheel - at least it will bring some money in

And to put the icing on the cake, companies are complaining they can't find any good software developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

companies are complaining they can't find any good software developers.

Indeed - in my last role, I had to supervise a couple of "experienced" programmers - 5 and 6 years of experience, which in the case of the latter, were it up to me, they would not have lasted probation. Had to intervene far too many times to avoid serious defects in their approach and coding.

The former was actually much better if a bit unsure of their ability at first - a hard worker and eager to learn - from whom, upon my departure, I received this...

"So, I have already told you this many times before, but as this is your last day, I'll say it again.

Thank you for teaching me things, thank you for encouraging me when necessary, thank you for trying to make me more capable than I was. Thank you for giving me chance to explore multiple new areas. I appreciate everything that you did for me. And I plan to keep on troubling you once in a while, nothing work related, but everything else.

Your trust and your guidance has helped me be a better coder than I was."

I will treasure that. If that was indeed my last gig in this IT lark, that was worth more than any recognition from management or monetary reward over the years, and makes up for all the downs along the way

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> companies are complaining they can't find any good <fill in the blank>

Of course that's what they're saying in public. What they mean, of course, is they can't find so-called "unicorns" (or whatever fashionable word for "experienced") who are willing to work on the cheap.

If companies were actually willing to pay for the skills and experience and years etc. they put on their kitchen-sink wishlist job description, they could find people. But they want experience and skills at college-newhire wages.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

> Have 25 years of development experience, with around 18 years of Java. Out of work now for 5 months, with not a single interview for jobs applied.

Maybe remove the "2" from the "25" years (oops a typo) and trim your CV down to the last few years? Then do a virtual interview and claim the connection is poor - "I'll turn my video off to save bandwidth" - might get you through. By the time they realise your age it'll be too late.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, the CV can give the game away with respect to age - I was at one employer for over 10 years, though in various different roles/different division, and that is still recent enough to have to put on the CV - I could restructure the CV quite honestly to remove the earlier role in that company in a different division, thereby reducing the time span.

Now, people say I look much younger for my actual age - so that could also swing things!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You're not going to be fooling anyone. And you don't want to work for an ageist company anyway

I've got more than 30 years experience, and my age hasn't been a problem so far. Look after your health, stay hands on and keep up to date and you should be fine

3. Wilco

Sorry to hear that

I'm sorry that you've had such problems finding a job. If you are applying for jobs every day and not getting the interviews then there may be something in you CV that is putting off employers. I've reviewed hundreds of Java Developer CVs and some of the things that would cause me to reject a candidate include:

Not demonstrating that you have experience in the technolog(y/ies) I am looking for. Look at the ad and make sure that you CV shows how you used the things that I said were essential

Telling me about what the company or team you worked for did, not what you did. I need to know what you actually achieved and how you did it

Significant numbers of spelling and grammar errors (with leeway for non-native speakers) If you can't be bothered to carefully check your CV, you probably can't be bothered to check your code

Significant unexplained gaps in the CV. Were you in prison, or what?

Excessive length.

Best of luck with the search - don't give up!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry to hear that

Thanks - will heed your points - time for complete overhaul of the CV, and as @2+2=5 suggested, truncate the entry for time served at the long-service employment place. Yes, @AC,an ageist place is not one to be working at - I was waiting for the tap on the shoulder when, so when it came, it was not a surprise - recent hires were just over half my age

4. Lee D Silver badge

Same way that every company now is "disruptive" to its industry. I'm amazed these industries are able to function at all, with all that disruption.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Staffing pools/agencies

I see the same problem here as every other job site - Spam from staffing pools/agencies. I tried joining a staffing agency once to get a job at an incredibly cool location and it was a huge mistake. What was supposed to be a 1 year vacation job for me (low pay, easy work) felt more like a black hole of failure that I needed to leave ASAP. While interviewing internal transfers to be my replacement, literally half of the experienced software engineers could not write code.

3. twellys

Shipley

The Embedded SW and Electronics are actually in Saltaire (West Yorkshire), in Salts Mill (UNESCO World Heritage).

(I was working there ~10 years ago for Pace plc - now Arris/CommScope)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like