back to article Borkem ipsum: Supermarket gifts Thailand a tech fail that will echo down the millennia – and probably choke a turtle

Tesco, king of the High Street Bork, may have departed the Thai retail business, but it has left a little bit of borkery behind. While not signage spewing silage or Windows indulging in acts of Blue, we're pretty sure a computer was involved at some point in the cheery design of this reusable bag. While few would quibble with …

1. Steve K
    Thumb Up

Thanks!

Thanks for the Lorem Ipsum links - I found some new Generators (e.g. http://www.catipsum.com/index.php) that I never knew existed!

1. Duncan10101
      Alert

Re: Thanks!

Cat Ipsum is awesome. And I'm not the kind of guy who says "Awesome."

1. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Awesome

I'm sorry, but you quite undeniably are.

2. DrewWyatt

I like Bacon Ipsum:

https://baconipsum.com/

It even has a JSON API for automated bacon goodness....

3. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Took a look at CorporateIpsum (www.cipsum.com). I swear to Sibö, it is more coherent than many real press releases I've read

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Always blame the computer

we're pretty sure a computer was involved at some point

I'm pretty sure a human was involved at some point too!

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Always blame the computer

Are you sure about the human?

Enough trained monkeys are supposed to suffice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

humans are monkeys, sometimes trained.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OOK OOOK OOOK!

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Or not

3. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Facepalm

WTF? They didn't even proof-read?? ====>

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge
      Joke

Re: WTF? They didn't even proof-read?? ====>

Most sensible comment I've seen on here for a while.

2. Olivier2553

Re: WTF? They didn't even proof-read?? ====>

Remember that is Thailand, different language, different alphabet. 95% of the people could not read one paragraph in English and among those who read, who would care to, and among those who care, most would think that if they don't understand, that is because they are lacking the vocabulary.

Who is crazy enough to read what is written on their shopping bags?

4. not.known@this.address
    Coat

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

Brevior vita es, quam pro futumentibus negotiam agendo.

Marketing droids, take note :-)

(Mine's the one with the well-thumbed copy of "Abigail's Big Table Of Latin Phrases" in the pocket...)

5. John 110
    Trollface

Well...

...I dunno, it's all greek to me...

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Well...

Percy:

But it sounds LIKE Greek..."What's not Greek, but sounds like Greek?" Hm, that's a good one, my lord!

Prince Edmund:

Look, it's not meant to be a brain-teaser, Percy! I'm simply trying to tell you that I can’t understand a blind word they're saying.

Percy:

Well, no wonder, my lord. You never learned Greek.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Well...

Looks more like geek to me...

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Ahhh, good old Lorem Ipsum.

Off to read some Clientsfromhell.net stories.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ipsum checksum

The sun is over the yardarm

Why isn't there an icon for a gin and tonic?

Beer is simply too vulgar.

As are Tesco's plastic bags.

You have to elbow past them all dressed in their made-of-oil product onesies and tracksuits - not that any of them can run, far too fat - to get to the shelves, despite social distancing.

What does this comment have to do with the article?

About as much as the article has to do with IT.

I think I'll shop at Waitrose

1. TheProf
      Pint

Re: ipsum checksum

Waitrose have stopped selling plastic items and are also enforcing a dress code for their customers?

2. jake Silver badge

Re: ipsum checksum

New here AC? May I introduce you to Bootnotes?

Bootnotes covers all journalistic sins. Remember, ElReg is a RedTop, they have to publish this kind of thing once in a while or they get kicked out of the guild. Besides, all work and no play makes for a dull vulture.

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Trollface

QED

"Lorem ipsum" is placeholder text. It doesn't mean much and, despite its Latin appearance, doesn't really translate. It does, however, provide a handy block of text to show off a layout or design.

That would be a speech by Boris

9. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Party pooper here...

...but have we considered the possibility that this is intentional? Who reads small-print on a shopping bag anyway, and the Japanese have a long-standing tradition of using western text at least as much as an art form rather than a medium so perhaps the same thing is happening here.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Pint

Superdry

Most recently, it’s the logo below that is most commonly seen on Superdry products. Superdry's logo: 極度乾燥(しなさい)

Be maximum dry! If you keep your eyes open, it probably won’t be long before you catch sight of someone wearing this slogan. It reads ‘kyokudo kanso (shinasai),’ translating roughly as ‘maximum dry’, followed by the imperative form of ‘do’, bizarrely placed in brackets. This is apparently a bad attempt at translating ‘Do Superdry’ into Japanese – presumably achieved with the help of a dictionary rather than by anyone with knowledge of the language. Whoever came up with these logos seems to have thought that their customer base (which notably includes David Beckham, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet) wouldn’t notice that they were essentially gibberish – and judging by recent sales figures they seem to have been right.

http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/superdry

No relation to Asahi Super Dry Beer

2. Olivier2553

Re: Party pooper here...

Intentional to use English in a not English speaking, non Roman alphabet writing? Definitely.

But certainly not intentional to leave placeholder text, but something went bork in the chain of designing, writing the text, approving, printing.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Party pooper here...

Somewhere around here I have a copy of IBM's little booklet on programming the original IBM PC (with DOS 1.x) using BIOS calls in assembly language instead of directly addressing the hardware. Not too unusual for the era, but this book has a bit of a twist. For some reason, it was translated from English to Japanese (judging by how the syntax was garbled) and then back to English. Apparently neither translator was technically inclined. The resulting gibberish has to be seen to be believed.

I have also managed to acquire a copy of the IBM original. If I can locate them while this thread is still relevant, I'll transcribe a couple paragraphs from each.

10. John Robson Silver badge

"Still. A nice design. Shame about the sub-editing."

Oh the irony of this line on a site very nearly as well known for proofing and editing as the grauniad.

1. bigphil9009
      Facepalm

Re: "Still. A nice design. Shame about the sub-editing."

I think that was kinda the point...

1. John Robson Silver badge

it mat well have been - but I'd have expected a deliberate error - maybe that was the mistake ;)

1. jake Silver badge

I would have writing it "Still, a nice design.", which would have been much more properer.

11. deadlockvictim

Still. A nice design. Shame about the sub-editing. ®

On the contrary, well done to those sub-editors who let it pass, obviously with a grin so broad it escaped the confines of their face.

I want that bag.

12. Patched Out

Irony avoided

At least, should someone have discovered the error, they didn't just throw out the entire lot of bags. That would have been just a little too ironic!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like