back to article Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to step down this summer, AWS boss Andy Jassy to step up

Jeff Bezos, Amazon's founder and chief executive, will step down from his CEO role this summer, handing the job to the head of its AWS cloud computing division, Andy Jassy. The announcement was timed to coincide with Amazon's full-year financial results today, and Bezos was quoted as saying: "Right now I see Amazon at its most …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meet the new boss...

Well, the new boss doesn't seem to resemble Dr Evil quite as much, at least.

Amazon are an awkward company: they're very clever and innovative on a technical level, their customer service is (generally) good, but that they treat (especially) warehouse staff like dirt really is not on for a company in this day and age. Let's hope this change of leadership also results in a positive change in behaviour in that regard.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Meet the new boss...

It's the same sort of transition that his rival for richest man in the world, Bill Gates of Microsoft, did 20 years ago, almost to the day.

Will the company follow a similar path as Microsoft did under Steve Ballmer?

2. onemark03

...(they) treat (especially) warehouse staff like dirt ...

What I find ironic about Amazon is that, now it is a seriously rich company, it can actually afford to pay its people decent wages and otherwise treat them them like human beings.

It is a mystery to me why it does not do this. I do not get the impression that its bottom line would suffer.

And reading the article about Jassy, I do not get the impression that pay and conditions at amazon will improve.

2. John Jennings

Phat chance of that. Its a cultural thing among the leadership class in the company. They have a bigger turnover than many countries and have an arrogance to match.

3. sabroni Silver badge

Regardless, it’s hard not to be impressed by the wave of innovations that Amazon has provided

Mr Burns, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway train......

Can someone hear a sucking sound?

Are you hosted on AWS and frightened they might do a parler on you?

El Reg, licking the hand that feeds IT.

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: Regardless, it’s hard not to be impressed by the wave of innovations that Amazon has provided

While I could spend all day slating Amazon, and you're absolutely free to dismiss their successes, I think you're being a bit unfair here on El Reg.

I see, so any positivity is sucking and slurping out of fear of reprisal...

How about this: it's a difference of opinion rather than an indication of corruption?

2. Chris G

Re: Regardless, it’s hard not to be impressed by the wave of innovations that Amazon has provided

I thought I saw the initials 'JB' at the bottom of the article, misthave been my imagination because when I looked again, they had gone.

3. Persona

I think most people including their competitors are very impressed with AWS.

4. juice

> El Reg, licking the hand that feeds IT.

Sounds like you've got a distinctly negative bias against Amazon.

Which, y'know, is fine.

But it's incredibly stupid to fail to acknowledge that - as with Google, Microsoft, Apple and other industrial giants - that they've gotten to where they are at least partly because they've been able to innovate and do things better than their rivals.

(Admittedly, Microsoft were more "right time, right place". And all of them have used anti-competitive measures to at least some degree. But they've all also been responsible for a fair amount of innovation in their time).

Underestimating your enemy - or dismissing anyone who points out their strengths - is a surefire way to lose both the battle and the interest of anyone reading your posts...

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

His parents gave him $300,000

Another self-made man.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

At least he didn't come back for more, many, many times...

2. NeilPost Silver badge

I must have missed this in the Bezos sob story to date about pulling himself up by his bootstraps. Parents as in mother and adoptive new husband (Exxon engineer) or bike shop owning dad???

I know few parents with a loose $300K kicking around today never mind in the 1990’s.

3. Rufus McDufus

He was also a senior VP at hedge fund DE Shaw by 1994 so I can't imagine 300k was a lot of money to him at that point. Seems more like an opportunity for the parents to invest.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Any interest from the Hedge Fund ?? :-)

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

Doubt it.

Hedge funds typically hold their positions for less than a second. VC funds typically hold their positions for several years.

4. IGotOut Silver badge

"Another self-made man"

You wouldn't be have a dig at Richard Branson by any chance?

To quote.

'Cause when you're laid in bed at night

Watching roaches climb the wall

If you called your dad he could stop it all, yeah'

1. Cederic Silver badge

No, I suspect it was a dig at a politician.

I would say which one but to be fair there are many candidates.

5. TomG

This brings up the question. What is his parent's net worth?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon Web Services

Large companies always have plusses and minuses but the one thing in the IT world that can never be taken away from them is that they single-handedly took cloud computing from nothing to ubiquitous. Not Microsoft, not IBM, but a bookseller.

That, of course, is just as much of an indictment of IBM and Microsoft as it is praise of Amazon but sometimes it takes an outsider's eye to realise that "bureau services" were due for a re-vamp.

1. Death_Ninja

Re: Amazon Web Services

Yes, which is somewhat surprising. Who'd have thought the entire IT world could be disrupted by a bookshop.

Can you imagine what would happen if the reverse had occurred?

IBM: we're going to start selling stuff from a website

Shareholders: what sort of stuff? you already sell stuff.

IBM: We'll start with books but you know,anything really. We are going to sell anything and everything and we're going to use our ecommerce skills to do it.

Shareholders: *screams about core business* *mass panic* *dumps shares*

1. juice

Re: Amazon Web Services

> Yes, which is somewhat surprising. Who'd have thought the entire IT world could be disrupted by a bookshop.

Is it really that surprising? Britain's first commercial mainframe computer was produced by Lyons... who were a tad more famous at the time for their cafes, biscuits and tearooms!

In both cases (and to vastly simplify), they needed the IT infrastructure to support their business logistics, and then span out said infrastructure into a commercial venture.

After all, they both had an advantage over their rivals, in that their systems had already been battle-tested with their own internal processes...

1. Death_Ninja

Lyons

Well yes this is true, however the same was true in this case of Google or even IBM. Microsoft if anything less so as vast scaled computing wasn't really their bag.

7. AVee
    WTF?

Advanced arrogance...

"We are firing on all cylinders, just as the world needs us to."

Because the entire world will plunge into chaos if anything where to happen to Amazon...

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Advanced arrogance...

Well, yes. AWS has its fingers in so many pies, if it died there would be significant disruption.

1. macjules

Given how much of their stuff is badly made tat "fingers in so many pies" would not at all surprise me. Remind me to check Amazon Prime food delivery ...

2. not.known@this.address

That was an "attaboy" to the staff (and shareholders, to an extent), not a request for a global sainthood.

I'm sure they would rather have a decent share of his bank balance but at least it shows he does value their contribution to making him a rich man...sorry, to making Amazon such a success.

8. deadlockvictim

Fumbling in greasy tills

Ah Amazon, doing its best to bring back conditions where the people realise what Marx & Engels were talking about.

1. JK63

Re: Fumbling in greasy tills

Amazon can sell you a book, physical or electronic about that topic! It'll probably appear in my recommendations in 3... 2... 1.

9. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Bezos Earth Fund

Is that his plan to rename Terra ?

1. Teiwaz

Re: Bezos Earth Fund

Is that his plan to rename Terra ?

or Amazon Planet Services.

1. Aladdin Sane

Planet of the AWS?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Planet of the AWS?"

You have now given me a horrible image of a slightly bruised Bezos, buried up to his waist, looming out of the sandy beach, with his right arm outstretched, yuk...! (For extra horror, he might even be naked.)

10. Death_Ninja

I'm just surprised...

..that the story wasn't reporting that Bezos was declaring himself dead for tax purposes.

Maybe next week.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like