back to article The good optics of silicon photonics: Light sailing serenely down a fibre

Why on earth would Cisco want to push fibre to your desk? It's a good question. Even modern video editing houses are content with 10Gbe to workstations, and most of us aren't modern video editing houses. Even Wi-Fi can reliably deliver speeds at or near the gigabit. No, you don't need fibre to your desk. But don't tell me you …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISTR practical speed approaches about 0.5c in glass fibre? Microwaves through air travel faster, hence the batteries of repeaters which have sprung up between stock exchanges in recent years.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Yes. The speed of light in glass is reduced by a factor of the refractive index. Ordinary glass is about 1.5 (so 2/3 c) but I don't know what fibres are made of.

1. gerryg

Singlemode telecommunications fibre is a pure SiO2 cladding around a Ge doped SiO2 core. If memory serves the Ge doping raises the refractive index by about 0.0043 so use 1.46 as the refractive index of the fibre, so speed of light in a fibre is about 0.68 speed of light in a vacuum.

But the bandwidth of the fibre is limited by the quality of the devices shoved on each end. In your face microwave.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Joke

You can't cook you supper with fibre though ;)

2. Richard Boyce

Isn't this expected to be a major paying application of LEO satellites with optical links between them, such as Starlink? Upload from a ground station in London to LEO, beam across the pond in a vacuum, down to a ground station in New York, beating light pulses travelling through undersea cables.

2. Tom 7

I find this quite depressing

Having watched a colleague successfully testing 9.6Gb parts in 1990 at BT.

3. Roger Kynaston
    Joke

you'll go blind

Shirly the pr0n sector would love this sort of interactability.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: you'll go blind

<PissedOff>That's just a small factor that usually just limps off but fibre is great! I can deliver SPAM so much faster with fibre. Once everyone has a fibre connection they will be able to receive SPAM emails every millisecond ... this will benefit the Tech world in so many different ways ... everyone will have to upgrade their processors and storage to be able to process the SPAM reliably. I love fibre - it's such a great upgrade to the crap life!</PissedOff>

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

I don't think you need 100gbps to stream 8k video. The benefits of 8k over 4k are not as great as the benefits of 4k over 1080p, and beyond that the returns diminish even further. Look at printers for example. The resolutions there haven't really improved in the last 15 years.

1. Umbracorn
        Gimp

You have to think beyond 8K and into the realms of VR. Ready my Tactile Immersion Suit, please!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

As usual, resolution is less important than the way the codec handles things like contrast, boundaries, gradients, etc. But resolution is much easier to sell to clueless consumers.

4. Duncan Macdonald

Then comes the data caps

With the pitiful data caps that many ISP's (especially US ones) have, you will be able to use up your whole months data allowance in under an hour then be reduced to dial-up modem speeds.

Before high speed fiber (>1Gbps) to the home becomes a reality, the ISPs will need to make major investments in their network hardware. As many events have shown - where there is no real competition they will not do this.

5. Pen-y-gors

How fast is fast enough?

I'm currently on 300Mbps FTTP with BT. Do I want/need to blow an extra £10/month to get 900? Decisions, decisions... (This is in rural northern Ceredigion)

What pisses me off with fibre is the fact that general web access is virtually the same speed as pre-fibre. It's making the 50-100 connections to Facebook, Twitter and god knows what else that slows it. (Just loaded a Daily Heil story as a test - 283 connections!) It's great for moving large files, but people expecting lightening-fast page loads will be sadly disappointed.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: How fast is fast enough?

ublock, privacy badger etc. do exist and do work. Reducing page loading time from 10 secs to 0.1 secs is not unusual.

2. Schultz
      Facepalm

Surely, 5 quanta per linguine should be plenty of connection speed for anybody. Faster speeds could damage your neurons -- and while you may accept that while striving towards total personal gratification, it surely is unacceptable for the kids. Think about the kids! Cisco and Intel would like to pretend it is rainbows all the way down, but we know better. right?.

1. Tom 7

An old neighbour of my Dads complained he was only getting 760M on his B4RN connection but then he was a world leading geologist who had some pretty hefty data sets to shit and he was a wind up merchant! I've now got 4G BB which is supposedly up to 70MB but during the day seems to do over 100 with the right far end. All I can say is we can watch whatever we want and I can still download a full desktop install many many times faster than I can find the bloody USB I need to burn it to.

6. phy445

Geeks discussion point

Is the point about PCs being successful because geeks got into them first and the world followed correct?

To my mind PCs form part of the office automation process: pre WWII there were electromechanical adder-upper beasts, then main frames came along, then smaller office computers, and finally we got to the PC which put a computer on a desk.

I can see that there is some case to be made based on the development of the microprocessor based home computers which were uber-geeky in the mid seventies, and may have helped drive expectations, but I contend it is the office automation process that is the important factor. Geeks or no geeks we would have had a variation on the PC.

Discuss...

1. Rol

Re: Geeks discussion point

I'd argue, that the geek community getting into personal computing way back then, made what we have today possible. Without their tireless enthusiasm, the PC would more resemble a Play Station or X-box - a machine locked in to what big business want to sell you.

Commodore, Dragon, Sharp, Sinclair....the list of personal computers that locked the user into a closed world, with little interoperability would have just continued unabated.

The IBM x86 was the disrupter of that business model, but somehow, I don't believe it was ever their intention. If IBM could go back and rethink things, they would never had made the x86 so easily customisable.

1. Killing Time

'The IBM x86 was the disrupter of that business model'

I would argue that it was reverse engineering and IBM's mistake in not tying up Microsoft in distribution constraints relating to the DOS they supplied that was the real disrupter at the time.

IBM completely underestimated the impact the PC would have and didn't treat it like its other products because they never believed their control of the computing environment at the time would be undermined or lost.

2. Tom 7

If they could go back and rethink things we would have had 68008 in the first IBM PC and the 80s wouldnt have been wasted by people spending their lives trying to work out why their programs didnt work due to something falling over a 64k boundary..

7. lone.gunman

We've Done This Before....

Yep @Tom7, I worked for GPT/Marconi & built some of the first 'Photonix' (or Flowtonix) boards with fibres moving data around PCB's in the Mid-1990's... But then BT decided to go with proprietary Internet Protocol based technology & it became the death knell of Marconi... But thats another story!

1. Tom 7

Re: We've Done This Before....

I could make 2.4Gb work over 10km using the technology we had then. We did submarine fibre and I could see a use for that but for domestic use? We were looking at fibre TV but even in those days we could not have even worried the bandwidth. The hardware did price out at something around the annual phone line maintenance costs. At the time I though we could have sold millions of basic connections and retrofitted protocols later. Boy did I underestimate the potential!

8. bob, mon!
    Facepalm

100Gbps !!!

Oh boy! Multi-Gbps fiber to the desktop! Connected to my multi-Kbps DSL to the house!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE snore.

9. Sgt_Oddball

Ah.... Hem....

Even modern video editing houses are content with 10Gbe to workstations

I think Linus Sebastian would disagree... (pretty sure he's upto 25Gbe now and would probably try 100Gbe if he could).

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Still waiting for affordable 10Gb home Ethernet hardware

$100+ per NIC plus $100+ per switch port makes it $200+ per device. Connecting a desktop computer, personal server, and backup device together starts at $600.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Still waiting for affordable 10Gb home Ethernet hardware

If it helps, 10Gb cards are down to ~£85 now

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like