back to article Xiaomi proof that we're a military company, says Chinese tech slinger as it sues US over ban

Chinese consumer tech company Xiaomi has sued the United States for designating it a "Communist Chinese military company" and banning transactions with the firm. In a stock market announcement [PDF] and filing [PDF] in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Xiaomi argues that the decision to name it a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typos a plenty

Proof or prove? Xioami or Xiaomi?

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Typos a plenty

Lemme break it down for everyone writing in:

Xiaomi > show me

No, I didn't write the headline.

1. Son 1

No, let me break it down for everyone.

Communist Party of China > Xiaomi, you do as we say!

2. John Robson Silver badge

I was almost considering that they could have either transcribed it from a poorly worded document, or deliberately used the wrong word...

I'm not confident though...

2. Chris G

What this all points to, is that the ongoing trade war in the name of national security is not about to end with a change of administration.

I wonder what will happen if the US wins and US commerce no longer has parts, materials or products to sell because it all came from China.

Expect moves against Alibaba and AliExpress before too long.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

And Albania...

1. Potemkine! Silver badge
    2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or because everyone else does the same to the USA. Boeing has no links to the US military right?

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Trade war

How the trade war goes is still uncertain.

But this ban was entirely Trump's action (January 14,2021).

It's only the lawsuit that happened during the Biden administration.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Xiaomi argues that being on the list will cause "imminent, severe, and irreparable harm" by making it hard to access capital, scaring off suppliers and scaring off potential employees. Which would be sad seeing as the company currently makes pretty decent handsets.

Therein lies the rub, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, and that duck's name is US protectionism. Xiaomi makes decent budget handsets, which are capable, at a fraction of the price of the likes of Apple. If you don't fancy splashing £1200 on a flagship handset that will be "old" in 2 years time, then £150 for something that you can write off after that time seems pretty attractive.

4. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Investors

What really bugs me is that big venture capital investors are putting money into Chinese companies of which there's no trail who owns it and in which they have essentially zero control.

Is the West digging its own grave with the shovel the Communist hand them?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Investors

It's a pretty normal investor tactic. They take risks in the hopes that the possible but mostly unprecedented thing doesn't happen and they reap their rewards. For example, they invest in the newly public Saudi-Aramco even though it's majority owned by the Saudi government and keeps not appearing on international stock exchanges; they hope that Saudi Arabia won't decide to ignore them later. Or they let Facebook and similar companies change the way voting works so that their founders have total control over the board even when they don't own a majority of the shares. They take the risks that the companies might do something dangerous, like incurring a really big fine by breaking the law while not allowing investors to do anything to stop them. Investors take risks. It's how they work. Some are willing to take very large risks.

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Re: Investors

This is not really investing but something more akin to gambling.

Investors are always clamoring that they need to be in the driver's seat, but when potentially really profitable companies are involved they prioritize possible windfalls over anything else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like