back to article Microsoft's Extensible Storage Engine (JET Blue) source code arrives on GitHub – sadly comments not included

Microsoft has made the source code for its Extensible Storage Engine (aka JET Blue) available on GitHub. The Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) is an advanced indexed and sequential access method (ISAM) storage technology and has been a fixture in Windows for more than a quarter of a century. It first appeared in Windows NT 3.51 …

1. sw guy

Usage ?

To me "is for use in applications that require fast and/or light structured data storage, where raw file access or the registry does not support the application's indexing or data size requirements." is a good description of sqlite.

Any comment from people working with this kind of tool ?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Usage ?

Must admit, first time I've ever heard of it!

I might have used it instead of sqlite if I'd know it existed though!

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Any comment from people working with this kind of tool ? ..... sw guy

Yes. Although not essential, it is extremely convenient for both stealthy security and safe speedy deployment of Networks InterNetworking JOINT* Applications. … NINJApps

* JOINT ..... Joint Operations Internetworking Novel Technologies

And no matter how deep one may delve and/or attempt to cajole, one will never hear or read a great a deal about such things from the likes of an almighty Microsoft, because of the rather sensitive and strategically important nature of the advantages delivered in advanced fields of its operations in IT and AI Quantum Communications Systems.

Spilling some of those crown jewel gems would cost one more than just trillions whenever it guarantees one losing any future war invented or even contemplated as a necessary current evil for defence of present distressed and bankrupt of novel proprietary intellectual property registering realms.

3. Candy

I may be out of date but isn't JET Blue the underlying database for both Exchange and Active Directory? It certainly used to be...

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Pirate

Unless they radically overhauled it past 2013, yes, it's still using ESE.

(insert snarky comments about the "extreme cases of 1 TB" regarding user's proclivity towards keeping ALL THE EMAILS EVAR!!!111 and using their mailbox as a file storage mechanism...)

4. Mark out West

I use ESE a lot to create mobile applications and right now am writing a WinRT/UWP component library DLL to allow interfacing between UWP apps and ESE. As a database, it's fast, super reliable, ACID, and free given it ships with every Windows release (ESENT.DLL). It's best for fixed database designs without the need for an ad-hoc query capability since there's no query language facility. Essentially is a very good ISAM database engine with some really cool features like "tagged" columns that take up no room if left empty. I write in C++, but there's a well-documented C# API as well.

ESE is fundamental to Active Directory and a host of other Microsoft built-in functions, so it's well maintained and continuously tweaked. If you have a fixed schema with a manageable number of tables and few complex joins, it's a viable alternative to MySQL, SQLIte, Mongo, and other database engines.

And a shout-out to Microsoft for posting the source. I've been waiting for *years* to get a better insight into the code behind the API.

1. Chris Hills

I wonder, is it possible to use Jet Blue instead of Jet Red within Microsoft Access to give you access to a much more scalable database?

1. Mark out West

Right now? No. ESE isn't a relational system, but ISAM. I've never heard of anyone bolting on ESE support to Access. Unfortunately, you have to pay the price in time/effort if you want to reap the benefits of ESE. The only two language projections that I know are supported by ESE are C/C++ and C#. There might be a COM-based set of ESE components out there callable from Visual Basic, but I haven't seen any. That's why I'm writing my own (well, actually WinRT). I'm going to look like an idiot if MS introduces something similar in the near future. ;^)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

to stay on the safe side ...

Stripping comments is antisocial at best. Oh, yes... Microsoft.

Corporations dicking with comments have been a sore spot with me, ever since <now dead> company stripped out a programmer's dedication to his parents. Many 1000s lines of system-level code, when his side project program became a money-generating product, they made it look commercial, and stripped out some comments to be "on the safe side". Reducing the appearance of quality to _their_ usual level was not a good move.

1. 9Rune5

Re: to stay on the safe side ...

If you had been watching Dave's garage regularly you would realize just _why_ the comments were stripped (albeit temporarily) and why your post looks foolish.

That said, if the code is well written, with meaningful function names, comments are not all that important. Those who use JET are better off now than they were only a week ago.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Boffin

There was a problem when some of the Windows 2000 (or NT, memory fades) source code was leaked. There were comments along the line of 'don't know what this does, but it we take it out X stops working'

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And don't forget - "Netscape engineers are weenies", although I guess technically that was a password, not a comment, per se.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Microsoft Access shipped"

You could have stopped there, the damage was already done.

4. spireite Silver badge

Gimme a reason!!

When I see this stuff being released by MS, you have to ask the question.....

"what is the point"

Seriously - is there one?

1. Psmo
      Headmaster

Re: Gimme a reason!!

History? Learning? To make sure enterprise 'apps' stay patchable?

1. Berny Stapleton

Re: Gimme a reason!!

Third party tools to look at Active Directory / WINS / Certificate Authority databases?

If you can understand the data structure, you can load the data directly from the DB without having to use the Microsoft libraries. This would be required if you wanted an implementation to load the Active Directory database under SAMBA for example?

Maybe a backup product no longer needs to use other APIs to get into these databases and do item level restores? This would absolutely be required if you're running a cross platform backup product like commvault...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A compound application - or named after one?

"Jet Blue" and JOINT in the same thread seem almost too much of a coincidence.

Jet Blue is a long established brand of sealing compound for pipe threads and gas fittings!

Example (not an advert, just the first link with a picture that I found on google).

http://sespipeline.co.uk/Jet-blue-jointing-compound-steam-water-oil-gas-bss-wolseley

There again, Microsoft have always seemed to make a habit of leaving security holes in applications - sealing compound may be a good idea!

1. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Re: A compound application - or named after one?

FWIW, JetBlue is also a major budget airline in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetBlue

6. Stevie

Bah!

Nowt wrong with JET.

Nowt wrong with Access either. Have used it with great success for quite complex jobs.

Unless, of course, you develop either of them them into Humungo_Apps more suited for mainframe D/B tech.

If you go where No Man Was Meant To Go expect to see the error conditions No Man Was Meant To See.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like