back to article Command 'n' control botnet of notorious Emotet Windows ransomware shut down in multinational police raid

EU police agency Europol has boasted of taking down the main botnet powering the Emotet trojan-cum-malware dropper, as part of a multinational police operation that included raids on the alleged operators’ homes in the Ukraine. “To severely disrupt the EMOTET infrastructure, law enforcement teamed up together to create an …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Criminal charges and prosecutions will doubtless follow from the raids."

I certainly hope so, and long sentences following those.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Mushroom

Fuck that. It's time for summary executions, or at least extraordinary rendition. "You think you're so clever, Mr. Hacker? Meet your new best friend, Mr. Bone Saw."

(For the hyperbole-impaired: YES, THIS IS MEANT AS HYPERBOLE. Spare me your righteous indignation about extrajudicial punishment.)

1. N2

Agreed

May be a bit harsh but others would soon get the idea.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

" The video shows dusty PCs and servers, large numbers of hard drives"

Meh,

this look remarkably similar to my room...

Several dusty desktop computers and monitors in every corner, dozens of hard drives and flash drives strewn about, multiple cellphones in various stages of disrepair and even an unused MacBook Air.

The only thing missing is the gold bars and cash.

1. aregross

Re: Meh

"this look remarkably similar to my room... blah blah

*The only thing missing is the gold bars and cash.*

You're doing it wrong

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: Meh

You're doing it wrong

Not so sure, unless he/she's commenting from jail.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Meanwhile, across the pond

Here those charged with battling criminals are too busy fighting for backdoors.

Congratulations to those who can actually take down botnets under the current laws.

4. sanmigueelbeer
  5. clyde666

downsides

So the authorities have economically damaged the IT industry :

"...almost $500,000 had been spent by the group over the same period to maintain its criminal infrastructure.”

6. Naich

Waste of money

If I was part of a multi million pound criminal gang, I'd splash out on a cleaner and maybe a new house that wasn't knee-deep in filth. Gold bars are nice and all that, but I'd rather not catch salmonella from looking at the walls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Waste of money

"Hey, how has Naich suddenly been able to afford a new house and a cleaner? He hasn't had a job in months. Maybe some of the boys should pay him a visit, see where it's all coming from. He might want to share some of it, in exchange for his continued good health and all..."

Sudden displays of unexplained wealth can also attract the Law. I was told that DSS staff keep an eye out for suspiciously well-off benefits applicants. Turning up to sign on in a brand new Range Rover would raise questions (as would turning up in a builder's van).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Waste of money

you missed his point, but then again maybe we all did.

The "was rich" scumbag criminal's life was not improved by wealth at all, he still lived like a dirty rat hiding in a hole, and now he gets to go live with other boy failures in cages.

Money doesn't fix stupid, but it can amplify it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like