back to article BeyondCorp Enterprise: Google's Chrome-shaped approach to 'cloud-native zero trust computing'

Google has introduced BeyondCorp Enterprise, for secure access to browser-based applications, using new security features in the Chrome browser. The company already has a service called BeyondCorp Remote Access, for which this is an upgrade. But there are two crucial differences. First, there are new features in the latest …

1. RyokuMas
    FAIL

So basically Google have come up with something that pushes people towards their own browser, using their usual bleating about better security as the reason for it?

Another day, another Doug...

1. Peter-Waterman1

I think you miss the point. Most remote users access corp via a VPN. This requires users to have a corporate laptop that is managed. Wouldnt it be much better to expose corporate services on the internet that can be accessed from any device - like the way banks expose their core banking services via logging into your bank account via a browser from any device.

I can think of benefits to this approach. 1/ Users can choose a device that they want, and not have to work from their shitty HP or Dell issued laptop. Hell, they can even use a Mac! 2/From a security perspective with VPN access, once a bad guy is in the network you gain access to all corporate systems, some of which are secure, many are not. Using a zero trust model means that you assume the bad guys already have access (they do as it's exposed to the internet) but all systems are locked down using 2FA, encryption, security threat detection (known IPs, has the client got AV installed etc)3/ Think of how easy it would be to set up a branch office, you no longer need to have it directly connected to the WAN if you access all the services over the internet

Also- Chrome is already the most popular browser (by some way), so the battle is already won I think

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Looks far to easy to work around - just use a different browser.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"G Suite ... I cannot recommend against it enough"

Have they actually tried Office365/OneDrive? I think they might find that the grass is not as green on the other side of the hill as they think.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

zero trust computing

... is that like when you have zero trust in your mobile phone's OS, the apps and browser you use on it, and the websites you visit ... but in practice have very little choice but to use them anyway? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: zero trust computing

Oh look, a big whitespace and a broken-image icon - I seem to have posted an ad. Can someone without an ad blocker tell me what elReg is apparently assisting me to endorse?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: zero trust computing

I seem to be solicited for a management report about Garters. Hmm...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's just a big external proxy controlled by Google

Another attempt to the Google Network. And people were laughing at the Microsoft Network...

5. pc-fluesterer.info
    Holmes

Zero Trust? Check!

Well, I know Zero Knowledge. But Zero Trust?

However, Zero Trust fits perfectly.

My Trust in the Chocolate Factory is not just Zero, it is way below.

6. bigtreeman

Trust

So we would allow Google to spy on ALL our passwords, downloads, sites visited, access to our corporate VPN, web applications.....

We now don't have to trust the wider world and internet, only Google ?

Not likely !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like