back to article Google's Git commits point to project on pared-back Android for virtualized environments

Google is working on a stripped-down version of Android for virtualized environments, judging by source code commits made to the AOSP repository. Dubbed MicroDroid, the project is described as a “minimal Linux image.” Rather than start from scratch, Google plans to take an axe to an Android Generic System Image (GSI), carving …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android Virtualization

I found a malicious Android app that used virtualization to install hidden apps to commit ad fraud in the background without the users knowledge using an open source library found on GitHub:

https://github.com/asLody/VirtualApp

Now imagine if a social media app was installed (or even a banking app) into this virtual space...

The app would appear as coming from the users device and could bypass weak 2FA that uses the IMEI or other device identifiers.

I assume one could also use Google sync functions to transfer contacts or other data into a virtualized app running in this virtualized space too.

As the documentation says, it's only limited by your imagination.

1. P. Lee

Re: Android Virtualization

>I assume one could also use Google sync functions to transfer contacts or other data into a virtualized app running in this virtualized space too.

If you sync the data, what's the point?

Google Play goes in this container. All my stuff goes in the non-Google container.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
    Linux

They said:

"Google plans to take an axe to an Android Generic System Image (GSI), carving out redundancies while preserving components that could prove useful."

They meant: Preserved components are "anything that will track or monetarize you, and your contacts".

3. Robert Grant

Android hypervisor, you say?

Can't wait to run Kubernetes on there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like